Antipspambot question: 0

Re: the Illustrated pulse jet in 3D

Post by WebPilot » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:04 pm

This technique indeed looks promising.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 pm

The up and down width needs to be adjusted, but you get the idea.

I think it's sweet!

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi Forrest

Thats pretty realistic to tell you the truth, it captures that lazy yellow flame quality of the original film clips of the argus motors in flight

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks for confirming that, Viv.

continuing ...

This is an interesting effect that I think I'll be needing later.

Tim36
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Tim36 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:41 am

Hey Forrest. That flame does look much more realistic than that of any other CAD jets I've seen. Brilliant work, what design program do you use? All I have is Pro Desktop...

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:24 am

Tim36 wrote:Hey Forrest. That flame
does look much more realistic than that of any other CAD jets I've seen. Brilliant work, what design program do you use? All I have is Pro Desktop...
Hi Tim,

Brilliant? Thanks but I attribute 15% to my work and the other 85% to that of the software.

I would refer you to the software I use, but
  1. it is antiquated by today's standards
  2. it is no longer supported
  3. documentation was poor
  4. it had a forum, but only about 10 users were active
  5. there were only about 7 tutorials available
  6. difficult to learn
I am going to suggest that you spend your time wisely, and try your hand at Image

It is difficult, but
  1. it has a tremendously large user base,
  2. there are several forums,
  3. there are many tutorials,
  4. there are more features in it, than I will use in my lifetime,
  5. and besides, if you become good with this software, it may help you get a job!
I have done some work with Blender already. I posted the following image somewhere? earlier in this thread.

I've almost completed the cookie man tutorial.

Good Luck and please me PM so I don't miss your 'artwork'.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Don't be fooled by people who tell you projects that are "Free" aren't any good!

Forest its good to see you stepping out into blender, I did try the program you used and my god it was a head%#$*.
Blender and wings 3D are not only highly versatile (blender moreso then wings3d) however they are both incredibly accurate with an open source user base only too willing to help you answer any questions you have. If you want to see the power of blender in motion, youtube "An elephants dream" i think it is, an animated head%#@ movie that was done completely in blender.
Wings 3d is fantastic though, I use it all the time whilst I learn catia and Solidgay.

Now, as for accuracy and machining, STL's are good to 0.0000000 something of a MM, so don't let anyone tell you its not "Accurate".
Simply, forest and I are vector modellers, it was the way it was done at the start and there's a lot you can do with it that all those cad programs cant. (Without taking the 17 year correspondence course anyway.)
Try wings 3d, or blender, have a crack at it. Blender can export to dxf and dwg and crap anyway and theres a billion and one converters out there if you ever need them. Solidgay supports "I'm a robot woot dimension the sketch normal to the face loft select edge REBUILD ERROR click here for help... "You have a rebuild error"....undo delete line sketch is gone FARK redo the whole stinking lot REBUILD ERROR... ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR

Have a play in wings 3d for a week to familiarise commands like extrudes, connects/cuts, intersects, etc, then jump into blender, if you have a quick play in wings blender just feels a little more familiar. Below is a sketch done in wings 3d then exported as an IGS file to solidworks and rendered.
Attachments
img9335593.png
img9335593.png (89.33 KiB) Viewed 12105 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:12 am

Nice plane, James. I think it needs a paint job and some decals, though.

~°~~°~~°~~°~~°~
Merry Christmas!
~°~~°~~°~~°~~°~

the Vector ...

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:06 am

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 am

Forrest it was supposed to be completely chrome :D Hahaha.

Merry christmas too btw, vector for the win!
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, it's pretty in all chrome, too.

continuing ...

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:14 am

℉ ℃

This year I've decided to end my µSoft Windows habit and go to another OS.

X originated at MIT in 1984. The current protocol version, X11, appeared in September 1987. Most modern GUIs developed for Linux and other UNIX-like systems, such as GNOME, KDE, and Xfce, use the X Window System as a foundation.

I have played around with console based (command prompt) unix from time to time (OS9 on my RS CoCo [32K ram on a 6809 Motorola chip], Coherent (on a 286), BSD, Slackware and RedHat on 386, 486 and Intel pentium I, II class machines).

I cannot say I've entirely quit using MS-DOS and PC-DOS from my 8086 days. Just this past Thanksgiving, I needed to transfer a program from 5¼-inch floppy ⟿ 3½-inch micro floppy and boot a machine to DOS so I could compile a program. I still love the PC-DOS editor, E - it could edit in column mode as well. Not many editors can do that today. Well, one just cannot know too much.

I would say roughly ½ of the software I use are unix ports to µSoft windows.
So, my transition would be worse if I didn't plan at least a little bit ahead.

This January, my backup IBM PIV machine running XP died after only 10 days on the Internet. Its AGP graphics card went south and took 512 MB of system ram with it.

For almost the cost of parts to fix and enhance the PIV machine, I bought this at the beginning of the year. I couldn't resist the price ($400US) for a dual core AMD 4050e 64 bit processor with a 19" LCD, DVD burner, 300+ GB hard drive, 3 GB ram and Vista premium (I didn't care about this).

I took it home and it is so little; like twice the thickness of an older laptop. Anyways, I stuck an Ubuntu live CD in it and it booted to Hardy Heron. I decided after 2 days to:
  • backup the Vista partition, c:
  • shrink it to about 100 GB
  • left the reinstall partition intact
  • booted the Ubuntu CD and deleted the D: drive partition from there (don't do it in Vista!). This partiton was for user data.
  • used 100 GB for linux and I still have 100 GB to use at some later date.
So, I have been using Ubuntu primarily over the last 4 weeks. I still need Vista to watch (of all things) past episodes of two shows on Fox. I haven't been able to figure out a way to make their player work in linux.

Here is a pic of a drawing I made 2 mos. ago. The difference here is:
  • I transferred the model file to the Acer
  • I am using the next version of the drawing software
  • this µSoft Win application is running on Ubuntu linux not in native mode but by using Wine is not an emulator - which most of the time allows Win applications to run under linux.
  • the rendering happened so quickly, I think it took -tive time!
Now, I am used to using Jasc's PSP for image manipulation, but I thought maybe there is something comparable in linux. There is something, perhaps even better.
Imagethe Gimp

I don't know how or even if I can do this in the version of PSP I have.

I feel that this is going to be a rather interesting year for me; it's time to move on.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 am

I was having some craziness going on with the latest software release in Wine, so I changed back to the previous one which I was using. It seems it's working ok, but a problem occurs when I try to view an avi animation from inside the program. Gif and FLi or FLc formats work fine.

If I load the avi outside of Wine, in Nautilus proper, I can view the animation. I thought it was not writing the animation correctly. So, once I get this 'straightened out', I'll probably try to re-install the latest version and have a go again … someday.

The above is not animated.

Note how the 'sky' and the 'brick ground' are reflected on/in the tube. The front wheel and tyre look 'surreal'.

PS
  1. the Gimp has GAP
  2. E lives on as JOE

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 am

Above, it seems I overwrote a file with the same name resulting in two images the same on this page of the thread. I've corrected this.

This is something I've been creating in order to evaluate another CAD program.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Tonight, finally, I am going to be able to watch the quintessential V1 pulsejet movie, "Operation Crossbow" (1965).

Thanks for 'turning me on' to this, Hank!
Attachments
op_cros2.jpg
Acclaimed action/thriller about spies assigned to destroy a * munitions dump. Stellar cast, stunning pyrotechnics make this classic, Hollywood-style film a joy-packed ride for thrill seekers.
op_cros2.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 11784 times