Split pulsejet chambers

Moderator: Mike Everman

cbromano
Antipspambot question: 0

Split pulsejet chambers

Post by cbromano » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:29 am

I am looking for either a patent or a design for some type of pulsejet with a split combustion chamber and some type of diaphragm between them. I figure it is a simple idea that has been thought about long before I did, but I would like to know if it ever worked as a way to increase compression.
Anyone know anything near what I am talking about?

CB Romano
Attachments
jet.jpg
jet.jpg (2.42 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
I don't wish to know everything.
I just wish not to be ignorant.

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:36 pm

I don't know of such an attempt, but I don't think it would work, either. First, the diaphragm would have to be very elastic to have any impact on the volume. Such a diaphragm would lst only seconds in the pulsejet environment. second, it would squeeze the chamber and force the charge out, rather than compressing it.

cudabean

Post by cudabean » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:37 pm

I've thought of similar ideas.

One idea that springs to mind after seeing your design is rather than having a flexing membrane, have a sliding part, but then you have a moving part and all of its associated problems.

Another thing I thought of about ten years ago is to control the firing of the separate chambers by having a rotating valve on the front and rear which solves the problem that Bruno mentioned, but it also adds more moving parts which now must be powered in some way.

I personally think it is attractive to use the combustion of one side do the work of compression for another side. One simple way to achieve this is with a free-piston motor with combustion chambers on opposite ends. One side fires, moving the piston to compress on the other end.

cudabean