somebody's really big jet

Moderator: Mike Everman

Greg O'Bryant

somebody's really big jet

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:18 am

Have you guys seen this? And who is making this Titan sized engine?

http://www.pulsejetdragster.com/
Last edited by Greg O'Bryant on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

re: somebody's really big jet

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 am

You have posted an e-mail address, not a link to a site.

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am

Sorry Bruno I was just in the process of getting that fixed.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:36 am

No problem; the site address was obvious.

The guy doing it is curious -- says nothing of himself or his plans. Seems to have big ideas, given that he is offering potential partners to 'get in on the ground floor', but I can't see what the plans might be. He's hardly going to make money running a dragster. Or am I wrong?

But, just seeing that huge pipe surely makes the heart beat faster, doesn't it? :o)

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:09 am

My God! This guy has no idea what it's going to be like within 100' of that thing.
Though he seems to have made the crudest possible valve head I've ever seen work, or did he really?
Mike

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 am

Holy crap I thought my 250 pounder was excessively big!

At 100' you will definately need hearing protection! Hell at 100' it will be hard to breath :)

Up close to anything that big you can just open your mouth and feel the air getting pushed and pulled through your wind pipe from the pressure change.

A good way to give someone an instant anxiety attack is to start up something with 200 + thrust while they are standing 15 feet away, this works expecially well on friends who have never heard a pulsejet run before. I can only imagine some spectators with bad hearts keeling over at the sound of the thing starting.

I wonder what he plans on patenting. Perhaps since he put patent pending, maybe he thinks it will keep people from stealing stuff.

I would be very supprised if that Pulso 3 ran with that crude of construction, considering the absolutely beautiful examples recently made didnt run.

I dont know if the valve grid page and the video page just isnt up yet or my browser is being crap.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:43 am

that reminds me. Bill was running one of his motors, and I was standing about 8' away taking a drag on my beer, and the bottle was puffing in and out enough to blow my mustache up and down. cracked me up!
Mike

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:42 am

LMAO. Thats exactly what I am talking about. Imagine what it would be with an engine 5 or 10 times as powerful.

I have a feeling capped glass bottles would explode if you put it near the exhaust, provided it were the right size / shape. Rectangular metal containers like various solvents and paint thinners cans are also intersting since they are very prone to pressure.

Its also possible to make a large diaphram with a piston rod, that used the fluctuations in pressure to do some work, either spin a generator or compress air or pump fuel.

You should do a Uflow analysis on your beer bottle, I wonder if the dynamics changed as you drank more and more until the bottle was empty? :)

I also have a feeling that the extreme pressure fluctuations could be used to start other engines without starting air, or more interestingly make things work like pulsejets that normally couldnt.

Close range to larger engines can really make breathing difficult. I call it artifical CPR, since your chest has a lot of area to exert force on you really have no control wether air flows in or out.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:18 pm

All of this reinforces my near zero interest in large motors! If I can't make a 20 pounder do all I want, I'll be on to some other mousetrap.
Mike

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Incidentally, for those interested:

'Patent Pending' should not be used lightly. In the US, it is illegal to use this statement unless you actually have a patent on file with the USPTO. It is NOT a legitimate way of announcing that you're just thinking about patenting something. It means that you actually have a patent application that has been accepted for review.

L Cottrill

Jonny69

Post by Jonny69 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Hmm I was going to ask about this a while back. I stumbled across this site about a year back so it's been about for some time but doing nothing. Wonder if the guy ever made anything of it?

Maybe it killed him :D

Did a WHOIS on the site which returned the following:

Registrant:
Chris Castelluccio

Registered through: FreeWebs Domains
Domain Name: PULSEJETDRAGSTER.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.FREEWEBZ.COM
NS2.FREEWEBZ.COM

For complete domain details go to:
http://www.secureserver.net/whois.asp?prog_id=FreeWebz

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi, Guys,

Eric's March 14 comments prompts me to add a little information about which very few people know.

Namely, Aeromarine's PJ-101 Navy smoke-screen generator employed air that was bled from the hand-started pulsejet to fire up the second. A "Siamese" double engine was used, a gate valve being inserted between them at the front of the comb. chambers and their exhausts merging in a common outlet. This was in 1951. Spark was supplied by a 4-cyl. magneto that was driven by a rack-and-pinion system that was a part of the starting air pump.

Fuel (gasoline,) was supplied by a diaphragm/piston pump that was energized by pressure pulses from the first-to-start jet engine. Paul A. Mutchler's patent (No. 4,767,314,) covers a similar system, dated 8-30-88
but Aeromarine's device predates his by 37 years! Even so, the Patent Office rejected my claim that Mutchler's patent is invalid because of this prior application, citing the lack of Aeromarine's seeking of a patent; therefore, there were no available references that could be examined.

Apparently, then, an "inventor" can copy any device and apply for a patent if such protection has has never before been sought, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN USED AND IS WELL-KNOWN! Hogwash!

Jerry

larry cottrill

Re: re: somebody's really big jet

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:30 pm

dynajetjerry wrote:Apparently, then, an "inventor" can copy any device and apply for a patent if such protection has has never before been sought, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN USED AND IS WELL-KNOWN! Hogwash!
This is even more common, of course, for devices that are NOT well-known. Very often it happens like this: You work on the development of something, but decide not to seek patent protection because either: (a) It turns out not to work (or doesn't work very well) for the use you had in mind; OR (b) You decide it's simply unmarketable (too expensive to produce for the intended market, too low in demand to be practical, etc., etc.). Then, years later, somebody comes up with EXACTLY the same thing for an entirely different use! AND, it can be produced economically due to advances in materials, manufacturing techniques or whatever! You simply don't have a leg to stand on because you didn't do anything to officially disclose your invention.

On the other hand, in the case you mentioned, IF Aeromarine had filed and their patent application was REJECTED for some reason (even some very obscure or technical reason, I think), you would have had a legitimate claim when the newer application was approved later on, even though no patent was ever granted to you! This is one of the reasons there is now a low-cost "disclosure" provision in the patent law - it provides an officially recognized alternative to the (legally shakey) registered-mail-to-yourself "patents" that have been used almost forever.

My late favorite uncle once went for a patent on a tool for removing and pressing in the diodes used in automotive alternators. This was because he observed that guys in small shops were tapping the diodes in and out with punches and chisels, screwdrivers, etc. I drew the initial drawings for him. The only thing my drawing showed that the patent attorney didn't like was the hand press part of it - that was "just an arbor press", so it was taken out for the final drawing, and the patent application was for the dies alone. I personally believed there was nothing very special about the dies; certainly nothing that wasn't fairly obvious to someone familiar with the problem, but to my amazement, the patent was granted! Now, tell me: How do you suppose those diodes get mounted in the alternator at the factory, without a replaceable part exactly like one of those dies?

Almost any product idea, no matter how simple it might seem, MIGHT be worth protecting - it largely depends on what has already been patented or at least disclosed. I have "invented" two things I know of that became patented products successfully marketed by others years after I thought of them: One was a mirror that shows you how you actually look to other people, instead of showing you a "mirror image" (this was very cleverly marketed as the RORRIM(TM) ) and the other was a variable-focus lens using a liquid center (imagine two very thin lenses around a hollow space sealed at the edge with a calibrated piston to force clear mineral oil in or out of the center space, to warp the thin shells outward or inward as needed).

L Cottrill

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:19 pm

With Patents I only have experience with New Zealand and Australia and the biggest problem is haaving a good patent lawyer. The lazy s.o.b. who the company I worked for used was a disaster. We invented a process checked and found the material was made in the USA (unpatented) and could only be made by the process we had developed. The Patent lawyer said no not patentable in just New Zealand.
Some one else then patented the damm idea in New Zealand. We went back to the Lawyer, said get it stoped here's the samples here's their process description.
Ahh but was that process description avaliable in New Zealand? Because if it wasn't avalaible the patent stands. @%^#%^!! $20,000 and hideous amounts of time latter we finally got enough documentation to prove it was known in the industry and the magazine was avalaible in New Zealand many years ago.
This could be the problem with Aeromarine's pump, yes they made it but was it's operation known/published?
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Mark and Larry and anyone else who is interested,

Yes, the fuel pump on Aeromarine's PJ-101 was definitely known and publicized! We produced 60 machines for the US Navy in 1951 and they were used by that service, at least in field trials. Along with the smoke generators we sent complete blueprints and lists of all replaceable parts, both fabricated and purchased.

In my opinion, this specific pump design was an obvious adjunct to any machine that employed a pulsejet and required a non-pressurized fuel system; however, the specifics for getting it to work required much trial and error. (The Navy had already rejected gravity feed for supplying fuel to the float bowl.)

My interpretation of the provisions in Patent Laws leads me to think that this modification of an automotive fuel pump check valve system is not fully patentable. I refer to this clause: (this invention is) "not obvious to one well-versed in the art." If that were applied in all cases, I suspect many patents that have been awarded would not have been allowed.

Jerry