jet flight

Moderator: Mike Everman

noclassmac1972
Antipspambot question: 0

jet flight

Post by noclassmac1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:29 am

I just thought I would load up a file of a control line jet flight just so people who havent seen one before could get the idea of it. The motor is a bailey fast jet and the flying site is in new plymouth new zealand

Hope you all enjoy
Robert Bolton
Attachments
jetflight.MPG
bailey flight
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 1081 times

noclassmac1972

re: jet flight

Post by noclassmac1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:30 am

Here is a pic of the model

Robert Bolton
Attachments
newtoy1 (Small).JPG
newtoy1 (Small).JPG (29.91 KiB) Viewed 18542 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:04 am

Waaaay too fast for me.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:41 am

Not only too fast, it is quite dizzy too just standing aside being a speculator and staring at the plane moving :)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

noclassmac1972

Post by noclassmac1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:03 am

When I get it flying properly it should be another 20 mph faster which will be fun. When I get that sorted I will try and post a better mpg file of it going :o) The noise is quite spectacular...

Robert Bolton

PS: if anybody has any pics of their own controlline jet planes feel free to post them here it would be good to see them

noclassmac1972

Post by noclassmac1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:04 am

I will try and post some other pics of planes 2morow as i am at work at the moment

Cheers
Robert

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Robert,
Is that a picture of the Bailey Fast Jet with the smooth cowling head? How much more is the Fast Jet? I bought one of the blue headed ones he sells for $200.00 US, I guess more or less of a Dynajet copy. Is the Fast Jet made of 321 stainless steel?
Thanks,
Mark
Presentation is Everything

noclassmac1972

Post by noclassmac1972 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:49 pm

yes it is a bailey fast jet I think the current price is $295 USD.

This engine runs on a pressure feed, pressure is tapped from the combustion chamber. ( it will not run on suction) Also the engine is designed to run on nitro or propyleneoxide and methanol.

I am not sure what stainless the tailpipe is made from but it looks similar to the sportjet but only bigger..

Plus they are very temprimental

Robert

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:54 am

Thanks for writing back Robert, if I may ask, how is the pressure tap apparatus situated, is it bled off on the side where that forward clamp is, close to the gas tank/fuselage of your red airplane? And when you say it is larger than the sport jet, how is that? That was some good footage of going round and round, it might be hard to keep up with the plane for some, has that ever happened?
Thanks again,
Mark
Presentation is Everything

noclassmac1972

Post by noclassmac1972 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:19 am

I will take some pictures of the pressure tap tomorow and post them. I will be getting the plane ready for another flight for sunday so it will easier then. The pressure tape is in between the valve petels. But the pictures will explain more than I can.

A few people have not been able to keep up with the plane but then they shouldnt be flying anything that quick in the 1st place. I have been flying control line since I was 5 yrs old So I think I have the knack of it now. The only hassle is the pull the model exerts somewhere up to 30-40 kg So hanging on is a must.

I will try and get a better video posted at some stage so it gives people a better idea of the struggle/skill in the middle.

The diametre of the tailpipe is about 5mm bigger on the fastjet than the sportjet which allows more air in and theirfore more speed. I also have a head which we made which isnt too bad either running a bailey fast jet pipe.

Cheers
Robert

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi, Gang,
Both Bailey jets appear to use the same pipe assembly, today, even though his sportjet was not expanded, originally. For sanctioned competition in the U. S., the minimum area of the tailpipe must not exceed 1.25 sq. inches, to which the Bailey conforms. He expands his pipes from the outlet forward to within 2-4 inches from the combustion chamber, making them AMA legal (Academy of Model Aeronautics.)
For AMA competition, the only fuel permitted is 80% mthanol and 20% propylene oxide.
The current AMA jet, control-line record is about 200 mph. With the AMA lines being 70 feet long, each lap is 1/12 mile, meaning that at 200 mph, each is completed in 1 2/3 seconds! Up until a few years ago, for comparison, FAI (Federation Aeronautique Internationale) prop-driven control-liners used shorter lines, making it 16 laps/mile. Therefore, with the speeds exceeding 180 mph, each lap was completed in 1 1/4 seconds!
Jerry

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Jerry -

Considering the already attained speeds and the available power of modern speed ships, why do you suppose they don't set a longer standard for the control lines? Is it supposedly because the drag of longer lines would make more speed gain too difficult, or what?

I flew my big Dynajet trainer on 80 ft lines, and at 90 MPH it was a real handful - almost at the level of being more work than fun. Of course, you have to remember that its dry weight was a mere 6 pounds! That was a really good flyer though, due to the large wing [48-inch span] and ample control surface area.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Robert -

I, too, should have commented on what a nice model that is and what an exciting flight you obviously get from it!

I still think there's nothing like control-line flying, with the solid feel of the model right there in your hand [or hands, in the case of jet speed ships].

Congratulations on fine flying and creating a beautiful plane! And apparently, on achieving a wonderful match of engine to airframe and a really good-working fuel setup, too. All very nice.

L Cottrill
Last edited by larry cottrill on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Magic.
Watching that reminds me of my Hydroplane days. 'Dragonfly' used to do a lap in about 1.25sec, 140mph.
Brings it all back - great.

Graham.

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:14 am

Larry,

My suggestion a few years ago that Jet Speed fuel be restricted to unleaded auto gas was not liked by the fliers, at all. "We want to limit speeds but gasoline would slow them down too much" was their com-ment.

One major reason for staying with 70 foot lines is that almost all CL circles were designed with that size in mind and lengthening the lines would require a substantial and expensive repaving of the circles. Otherwise, I agree that some form of limitations should be incorpor-ated. For very good reasons, however, my advice is neither sought nor heeded on this subject. I do not build or fly any control-liners of any kind, these days, because my sense of balance leaves a lot to be desired
and, therefore, can not contribute very much to the hobby.

Jerry