3 years waiting, my Bailey jet engine finally arrives!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Troy R. Legner
Antipspambot question: 0

3 years waiting, my Bailey jet engine finally arrives!

Post by Troy R. Legner » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:13 pm

Gentlemen.
I ordered a Bailey jet almost three years ago. It just arrived today out of the blue. I thought for sure that I was stiffed in that deal. It is a wonderful quality built engine with a blue anodized head. I had to push a small dent out of it otherwise it is a very well made machine. I am impressed with the welds. They are tiny little perfect welds. At 5 feet you cant even notice them.
I have called him from time to time to check up on it. I really wanted to just tell him to send me my money back, but just could not bring myself to force the issue. I feel very relieved about the whole thing now. I wish I would have oredered two of them. I don't want to wait another three years.
It is impressive with the amount of detail he put into it to get the weight down. The flowjector is machined hollow from solid. The valve retainer is also hollowed out. There are many details that are the same way. This engine design has been stripped in every way I can see of any excess weight. An empty fuel tank weighs as much as the engine.
I guess I will have to get back on the Delta Vortex project. I still have the notes that Bruce Tharpe gave me on the pulse jet conversion. It will have to wait until next year.
Talk to y'all later,
Troy R. Legner

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:59 pm

Hey Troy how you doing, good to hear from you and that you got the baily at last, any chance of a nice picture?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

airmaster

Post by airmaster » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:38 pm

Hi,
it seems to be interesting.
How much do the engine weights?
How much trust?
Sebastian

Troy R. Legner

Post by Troy R. Legner » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:39 am

Gentlemen,
I will weigh the engine to find its exact weight. I believe it weighs only 14 ounces. It has been rated at 5.5 pounds of thrust. Bruce Tharpe uses this type of engine. He has great things to say about it.

I will try to take pictures of it. You will be amazed at the quality and craftsmenship involved. The tail housing is only .013"/.33mm wall thickness.
The flowjectors on my HDL1 engines have two ports. The bailey jet flowjector has 24 ports. They are almost the same size engines. I like my head design better. His quality from CNC machining is better than my engines. I made my head in two pieces. his is one piece just like the Dynajet. This engine is actually a copy of a dynajet with all the bugs worked out. I believe it is perfected.
Hi Viv!! I was just talking to a woman from England yesterday. I told her that I had a great time in London. She lived 30 miles from London. She said her town was the first garden city. ?? Can't remember the name.
She goes to my church. My church is the Unitarian Universalist church. It is based out of England.
Troy Legner

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:10 am

I felt I should know the answer to that one Troy but it just would not come to mind:-(

Thank god for google:-) http://www.letchworthgardencity.net/

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Re: 3 years waiting, my Bailey jet engine finally arrives!

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:34 am

Troy R. Legner wrote:Gentlemen.
I ordered a Bailey jet almost three years ago. It just arrived today out of the blue. I thought for sure that I was stiffed in that deal. It is a wonderful quality built engine with a blue anodized head. I had to push a small dent out of it otherwise it is a very well made machine. I am impressed with the welds. They are tiny little perfect welds. At 5 feet you cant even notice them.
I have called him from time to time to check up on it. I really wanted to just tell him to send me my money back, but just could not bring myself to force the issue. I feel very relieved about the whole thing now. I wish I would have oredered two of them. I don't want to wait another three years.
It is impressive with the amount of detail he put into it to get the weight down. The flowjector is machined hollow from solid. The valve retainer is also hollowed out. There are many details that are the same way. This engine design has been stripped in every way I can see of any excess weight. An empty fuel tank weighs as much as the engine.
I guess I will have to get back on the Delta Vortex project. I still have the notes that Bruce Tharpe gave me on the pulse jet conversion. It will have to wait until next year.
Talk to y'all later,
Troy R. Legner
Wow, that's a lot of patience! Over a thousand days or 24,000 hours or 1,440,000 minutes or 86,400,000 seconds, but who's counting. Three years is absurd!!! With your talent, you could have made one similar yourself in less time. I've talked to Earl for hours on end in the past, exchanging ideas. I'd hate to wait 3 years for an unexpected delay. What kind of service is that?
Mark

Viv

Re: 3 years waiting, my Bailey jet engine finally arrives!

Post by Viv » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:40 am

Mark wrote:Wow, that's a lot of patience! Over a thousand days or 24,000 hours or 1,440,000 minutes or 86,400,000 seconds, but who's counting. Three years is absurd!!! With your talent, you could have made one similar yourself in less time. I've talked to Earl for hours on end in the past, exchanging ideas. I'd hate to wait 3 years for an unexpected delay. What kind of service is that?
Mark
Well that explains why your engine took so long to arrive Troy, Mark was talking to Earl all the time so he never got to the machine shop to build it:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:02 am

Viv, the divorce obviously worked for you. You've been shooting off like a firecracker of late. Every time I get to the forum I laugh. Or is that an off-topic topic?

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:06 am

brunoogorelec wrote:Viv, the divorce obviously worked for you. You've been shooting off like a firecracker of late. Every time I get to the forum I laugh. Or is that an off-topic topic?
The doctor says I am doing realy well now as I only wake up screaming every other night:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

conor leighton

3 years waiting

Post by conor leighton » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:25 pm

Is that exactly the same bailey as the plan found on this site? Might have taken less time to get the plan and carve it out of solid with a nail file ;-)

Bruce Tharpe

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:35 pm

Hi Troy, I got mine about a month ago, and yes, it took about three years. Like you, I checked in with Earl about 3 or 4 times a year. Although frustrated with the delays, I always had a gut feeling he would come through. Beautiful work - worth the wait.

Did you notice the tailpipe isn't a straight tube? It necks down a bit at the front where it meets the back of the combustion chamber cone. Not sure how he came up with that. Interesting.

BTW, I got four of them!

conor leighton

Post by conor leighton » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:47 pm

>Bruce.

Did you use dynajets/baileys in double whammy?

cudabean

Post by cudabean » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:12 pm

Bruce Tharpe wrote: Did you notice the tailpipe isn't a straight tube? It necks down a bit at the front where it meets the back of the combustion chamber cone. Not sure how he came up with that. Interesting.

BTW, I got four of them!
I've had the pleasure of visiting Earl Bayley at his shop a couple of times. He pointed out that feature of the tail pipe where it expands slightly and then runs straight to the tail from there. He said that the diameter aft of the combustion chamber is the maximum size dictated by the competition class the engines are designed for. He found by tinkering that he got more performance by adding the expansion.

cudabean

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:26 pm

cudabean wrote:the diameter aft of the combustion chamber is the maximum size dictated by the competition class the engines are designed for. He found by tinkering that he got more performance by adding the expansion.
This illustrates the problem the archeologists encounter all too often. Imagine having to reverse engineer a Bailey without any data. You'd bust your gut thinking of all the possible resons the exhaust was necked at the chamber -- thermodynamic, acoustic, maybe even technological -- and you'd probably never guess it was to satisfy a competition rule.

Troy R. Legner

bailey jet necked down

Post by Troy R. Legner » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:13 am

Bruce,
Yes, I noticed that necked down area. I thought that it might be something in the manufacturing process. I'm glad it was clearified by the other posting.
I wished that I would have ordered more than one. I don't really want to wait 3 more years. Maybe he can produce them faster now. I believe that he is going to be the last of the producers of the pulse jet engine.
I almost gave up hope of ever getting an engine. I knew he produced them in the past so I kept a small amount of faith.
I am thinking of putting it on my laser Arrow delta wing. It maybe a little big for it. What is your opinion?

Troy L.