V-1 Video

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:14 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I can see no good way to mount a lockwood, but it can be done.
Sure it can be done. No sane person is going to use an unshielded Lockwood anyway. You'd have it inside a streamlined cowling (possibly doubling as the augmenter duct) affixed by various brackets. Then you mount the cowling flexibly, with mounting pickup points designed for the purpose. Look what a pretty thing a cowled Lockwood can be. (BTW. another design cribbed directly from our French friends.)
Attachments
tipjet.jpg
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 664 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:27 pm

Oh, that is beautiful.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:09 pm

It's interesting that the two terminal ends are flush with each other and don't mind the proximity now. The augmenter almost becomes a side porting of sorts. Don't get technical with me, I was just thinking that there might be some design where there would be a confluence or grey area when defining an augmenter and a circumferential side port of sorts.
I have reved up a straight Schubert valveless with a side port Logan or if you rather, picture a Logan with yet another breathing snorkle at the tip. Perhaps it is like chopping a long bar magnet or segmented worm, a new form develops even though in some way the cleaved section is still of the main form.
Maybe a Kentfield four-pronger is just a Shubert Logan times two. The Kentfield looks to me like a jester's crown. I just transmogrified the intake positions a little, like a Mr. Potato Head.
Mark

Mike Kirney

Symmetry Depends On What You Call The Center

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:15 pm

It just occured to me that the waves are very nearly sinusoidal, but only if you make the median pressure (18.45 psi) your X-axis. Placing your X-axis at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) makes the waves assymetrical, with the peaks much higher than the valleys. Here's another one of Forrest's graphics from the old forum. I seem to remember he used a .WAV file he found on the net and some digital audio analysis software to generate it, but I'm not entirely certain of that.
Attachments
1st4Harmonics_cr.gif
1st4Harmonics_cr.gif (13.4 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
sine.jpg
sine.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 14302 times
Trig IS fun.

Mike Kirney

Clean Your Mind

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:27 pm

I think we should rid ourselves of the notion that a vacuum exists in the pulsejet at any time during the operational cycle. There is a momentary pressure node of about 9.7 psia in the combustion chamber, but I doubt that it is completely devoid of matter at any time. Refering to the 'photocopy' (not the computer generated graphic) posted above the pressure varies from 9.7 psi to 27.2 psi in absolute terms.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:40 pm

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/Histor ... P.1073.htm

has another description of the ME328 program.
Mike Everman wrote:Here's the translation for what it's worth:

"Beginning 1943 an einsitziger hunter was projected in a partnership working between the Messerschmitt CORP. and the German research institute for sail flight, who should carry out without characteristic drive in the Mistelschlepp at the hostile bomber association here proposition and then in the Gleitflug its attacks. This airplane recovered the label Me 328 A. The variant driven by two Argus aces 014 obstruction ray engine recovered the label Me 328 B. The desired production was cancelled through the strong vibrations, that evoked the Argus-tubes, again. "

You guys are arguing semantics in my opinion, there is no acoustics without vibrations and vice-versa! The poor empenage on this plane must have shaken right off from the vibration excited by the pressure waves. It does not matter how well you shock mount the engine to the airframe.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Symmetry Depends On What You Call The Center

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:59 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:It just occured to me that the waves are very nearly sinusoidal, but only if you make the median pressure (18.45 psi) your X-axis. Placing your X-axis at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) makes the waves assymetrical, with the peaks much higher than the valleys.
I have argued the same thing. I have also argued that this is the reason why there is no backflow in the Esnault-Pelterie. The median pressure is above atmospheric. Generally, you will have median pressure at the central exhaust point between the two combustor branches, because it will be the place of the pressure anti-node.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:09 pm

mike k wrote:It just occured to me that the waves are very nearly sinusoidal, but only if you make the median pressure (18.45 psi) your X-axis.
So very true, very sinusoidal, and the median is, while posetive, all relative! This data needs to have the cards cut on it severely, though. the frequency response of the pressure transducer must be considered very closely. Not saying that this is not a good trace, it just must be taken with a grain of salt. Putting it simply, the microphone or whatever was used may or may not be able to discern the true wave form.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Clean Your Mind

Post by Viv » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:21 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:I think we should rid ourselves of the notion that a vacuum exists in the pulsejet at any time during the operational cycle. There is a momentary pressure node of about 9.7 psia in the combustion chamber, but I doubt that it is completely devoid of matter at any time. Refering to the 'photocopy' (not the computer generated graphic) posted above the pressure varies from 9.7 psi to 27.2 psi in absolute terms.
10 points! but thats to do with the V1

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Kirney

Now THIS Is Exciting!

Post by Mike Kirney » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:25 am

marksteamnz wrote:
Mike Everman wrote:Here's the translation for what it's worth:

The variant driven by two Argus aces 014 obstruction ray engine recovered the label Me 328 B. The desired production was cancelled through the strong vibrations, that evoked the Argus-tubes, again. "
It appears that we have been totally mistaken in the operation of the Argus engine. We have been so caught up in thermodynamics and acoustics we failed to grasp the true operational medium of the pulsejet - mysterious * 'obstruction rays'. I have never heard of these 'O-Rays' before. Bruno must have a picture of them somewhere, he has pictures of everything. It also seems that rather than being manufactured, the Argus was instead 'evoked', perhaps like some complex and powerful emotional response.
Trig IS fun.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:35 am

Yes, but the O-Rays are useless on their own as they tend to cancel each other out.

It was for this reason that the Germans also came up with the highly impenitrable partition (HIP for short.

However, a single HIP was insufficnet and would soon be broken down by the O-Rays.

Eventually they found that by stacking two if the HIPs together, the engine would last long enough to be of some practical use.

So, whenever you see or hear the term "HIP HIP O-Ray, HIP HIP O-Ray", you'll know someone is describing the front end of an argus grid :-)

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:57 am

OK, so I wouldn't pay $19.99 for the high fidelity translation! It was aparently worth what it cost, which was nothing. The O-rays are real, however, use them all the time to clean the bad vibes off my smellovision.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:35 am

Mike Kirney wrote:we failed to grasp the true operational medium of the pulsejet - mysterious * 'obstruction rays'. I have never heard of these 'O-Rays' before. Bruno must have a picture of them somewhere, he has pictures of everything.
Of course I do. Here it is:
Attachments
O-ray.JPG
O-ray.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 14256 times

Mike Kirney

Amazing!

Post by Mike Kirney » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:54 pm

Well there ya go!!! The puzzle is solved. Bruno and Bruce have explained clearly and completely, the nature and use of these mysterious O-Rays. We can now disband the forums and return our full attention to the menial tasks our Orwellian masters have set before us. Thank you to all who have contributed over the years. Hip, Hip, O-Ray!

resosys

Re: V-1 Video

Post by resosys » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:08 am

Parker wrote:Hello

I just wanted to let you guys know that the guys at srl.org have finally finished their v-1 engine, and have some footage at their homepage....It's awesome! Makes me jealous, I wish I could see it live!
Thanks....sorry if this is old news

parker
Sorry if this thread is dead, but I was lucky enough to see this engine run last Saturday night in San Francisco. It was mounted on the back of a flatbed truck. It was unbelievably loud, and the pressure wave out of the tailpipe was like nothing I have ever felt.

I'll have video soon and will post it for everyone.

I spoke with one of the SRL crew after the run. The large white unit that is a compressor used to force a large amount of air into the front end. The nose of the engine is completely enclosed and all running air is delivered via the compressor.

It is an amazing engine and an amazing experience.

SRL has a show coming up in Las Vegas in February or 2004.

Chris