9 VDC battery coil driver (igniter) Pulsejet

Anything you need or want to sell goes here.

Moderator: Mike Everman

55dcyinely
Antipspambot question: 125

9 VDC battery coil driver (igniter) Pulsejet

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:53 am

Rocket Man,
This is what I tried to sell on e-Bay. But no one was sure what it was.
Someone ask if they could use it to ignite there car exhaust flame thrower. I said yes Yes, but you need a car coil and a couple of spark plugs.
And that wasn't included. This is only a coil drive.
Needless to say I gave up. You can buy a BBQ Grill electronic Igniter for $30.00 bucks from Home Depot. It cost me $22.00 dollars to make this thing.
IMGP0342.JPG
coil driver
DSC00011.JPG
coil driver w/coil
Doug

55dcyinely

Re: 9 VDC battery coil driver (igniter) Pulsejet

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes, this driver is a LM555 timer circuit.
Similar to: The one Bruce Simpson has.
ignitor1.gif
Simple igniter circuit by Bruce Simpson 2000

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:17 pm

This is pretty close to what I built. I got the circuit out of my TTL Cookbook that I had in college. My input is different I have a variable frequency control it helps a bunch because a car ignition coil is an iron core and you can tune it to maximum output. Above and below a certain frequency the iron core looses efficienty so it is easy to dial in on the best frequency to get max output. My output is different too I have no power transistors and it produces a square wave that is 50% on and 50% off. My circuit is much simpler and works great. I can adjust the frequency from about 10 Hz to 20,000. Hz. Max output is somewhere around 6 to 10 KHz each car ignition coil is a little different. Input voltage is 5 to 15 volts DC. My circuit has 3 capacitors, 3 resistors, 1 variable resistor, 1 555 IC all on a 1.5" x 1.75" circuit board. It produces a 1/2" long spark and can be operated on a 9 volt battery, several AAA or D batteries or a car battery. If I get time I will take a pic and attach it here. Check out page 171 to 175 of TTL Cookbook there are several variations of this circuit.

It looks like we are about to have one heck of a thunderstorm, lots or lightning and thunder wind is picking up weather channel says sever thunder storms with high wind, possible hale and dangerious lightning. Geeeez........ I don't recall ever seeing any safe lightning.

The decaying magnet field is what makes the car ignition coil produce is best spark. I did some experementing if the circuit is used to charge a small capacitor and the cap discharges through a zenor diode it sends a current pulse to the coil and that makes a better output spark. You can get fancy with extra parts if you want all it does is make it cost more.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks again!
And I'd like to see what you have, when you have time.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Bruce,
What happened to the one you were selling off your web site?
Someone is selling one on e-bay that looks a bit like that one.