Turbo Powered Ramjet

Jets that defy normal classification

Moderator: Mike Everman

Syler
Antipspambot question: 125

Turbo Powered Ramjet

Post by Syler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi, new to the forum so I wanted to first say hello. Secondly, I have yet to build my first jet engine but have always dreamed of doing so. I do however have experience working with turbos on cars.

My idea is to use a turbo to send compressed air into a ramjet. The turbine will be powered by a fraction of the pressure from the high pressure area. The exhaust coming from the turbine could be used to drive whatever you wish, and/or routed back to the rear nozzle of the ramjet where a low pressure venturi from the accelerated thrust should exist, thus rejoining the main thrust. The benefit of this is:

A) Turbo used in optimum range
B) Turbo feeding in a more dense charge
C) Far cooler gasses being put through turbine
D) Optimum A/F ration given C

This should according to my intuition, be a much more efficient design than those I've seen and produce far more thrust. Here is why. A Turbo flowing 100lbs/min should produce 1000HP. The turbine section requires the same pressure to drive it as the compressor is making. If a car runs 40lbs of boost, the tailpipe doesn't produce any appreciable thrust. The car motor doesn't put 100% of it's energy through the turbine. In fact, I'd have to imagine that the typical design I see out there drives the turbo far into the surge zone of the compressor map as car turbos aren't designed for to be used this way.

Anyway, I wanted to see what you guys think of this idea. I hate to be the guy who goes against conventional wisdom but someone has to do it. I'd love to hear your thoughts - especially those that find any flaws.

Thanks

Syler
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Turbo Powered Ramjet

Post by Syler » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Evidently this is in the wrong section. Would someone please move it to the "unconventional" section.