Advanced single rotor turbine

Jets that defy normal classification

Moderator: Mike Everman

unclematt
Antipspambot question: 125

Advanced single rotor turbine

Post by unclematt » Sun May 09, 2010 2:10 am

I posted this in the gas turbine forum as part of another concept I am working on, but felt the unusual nature of this concept compressor/turbine on a single rotor deserved its own thread. John felt it was an "unworkable" concept, but I am seeking alternate opinions. Take a look here:

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/20/19269.pdf

This centrifugal impeller has hollow blades through which cool, compressed air flows, but the blades are also acted upon by combustion gases to produce rotation. The inventor worked at LANL, and was given awards for this concept. It basically allows you to use a single turbine/rotor to do the jobs of two.

You can see the patent here:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id= ... dq=7044718

I am curious what opinions and input people have about this. Little to nothing has been done with the idea, so it may be a dead end. If it is workable though, I could make very good use of this concept in a number of ways.
Last edited by unclematt on Sun May 09, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viv

Re: Advanced single rotor turbine

Post by Viv » Sun May 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi

Having read the other thread I cant see this one and the other thread are going to be the same? you seemed to be talking about props in the other thread?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

unclematt

Post by unclematt » Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Viv wrote:Hi

Having read the other thread I cant see this one and the other thread are going to be the same? you seemed to be talking about props in the other thread?

Viv
No, this thread is about the impeller/turbine alone, and whether it is feasible or not, not the prop idea I put forth in the other thread. I won't be discussing anything but the impeller/turbine in this thread.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun May 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Matt (I assume your names Matt?;-)

Ok that's fine as I tend to agree with John on the lot of points for Tip jet propulsion (having done a bit of work in that area) moving on, the proposal looks interesting but I am sure I have seen other examples of this combined turbine/compressor wheel configuration before, as others do I am sure I think I have a few doodles in my design book for similar and have seen some stuff like it while patent searching.

Looks interesting any way but I wonder why this example is unique?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

unclematt

Post by unclematt » Sun May 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Viv wrote:Hi Matt (I assume your names Matt?;-)

Ok that's fine as I tend to agree with John on the lot of points for Tip jet propulsion (having done a bit of work in that area) moving on, the proposal looks interesting but I am sure I have seen other examples of this combined turbine/compressor wheel configuration before, as others do I am sure I think I have a few doodles in my design book for similar and have seen some stuff like it while patent searching.

Looks interesting any way but I wonder why this example is unique?

Viv
I would appreciate it if you could post any examples of a jet or engine using a single rotor for both compressor and turbine. I have been searching for awhile online and have found nothing. It may not be unique, but so far I have found no reason to think it isn't.

As far as the tip-jet driven prop concept goes, I would be happy to hear all about your experience with tip-jets, but we better do it in the other thread. I will be posting some new ideas there shortly.

unclematt

Post by unclematt » Tue May 11, 2010 2:24 am

I was able to contact the inventor of this concept, and we are discussing its viability and application. I will share details as soon as he gives the green light.