MotorJet

Jets that defy normal classification

Moderator: Mike Everman

Skodasupercar

MotorJet

Post by Skodasupercar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Hello all

New here, and thought i would share some information about my motorjet, or EDF afterburner

It is constructed out of a 400 size electric ducted fan running a 12 volt graupner speed 400 motor at 13.8 volts max. It is controlled by an electronic speed controller and an rc transmitter and reciever.

The combustion chamber is made out of an old 500 ml spray paint can. I just happens to be exactly the correct size to mate to the edf. I have two vids below. the first it is running on deoderant spray at low power. the second is after i converted it to run liquid butane.

I will post a few pics up tomorrow, but you can start with the vids.

any comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Be_maHI5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_AX-F4 ... annel_page

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: MotorJet

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 am

Neat! And welcome. Good to see another pyro making good. ha thanks for posting that. I always wondered where that could go. What's your next step? What's your flame catcher like, or do you have one?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Skodasupercar

Post by Skodasupercar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for the comments.

The next step is improve on the flame holder. Currently its a little restrictive, and a bit too turbulant and so sapps too much speed from the air flow. The fan that i am using produces a 'wind speed' of around 80 mph, so the flame holder does need to be good, otherwise the flame keeps getting blown out. Without a flame holder it just blows itself out all the time.

I also want to try and run it on a liquid fuel like petrol or methanol or something similar. This is mainly due to the cost. Running it on liquid butane from lighter refils gets expensive. It will consume the contents of a 500 ml can in a matter of 1 - 2 minutes max. I also want to mount this rig to an rc car so running liquid fuel makes that a little easier.

I tried getting it to run on petrol but it ended up in a flaming mess! The fuel would spray but not properly atomise and as such not burn correctly. I have considered preheating (vapourising) the fuel in the combustion chamber, but not got that far yet.

Any ideas about flame holders? I wanted to make one as un restrictive as possible, but still turbulant enough to help fuel/air mixing and retaining the flame at the face of the holder.

Thanks

Lewis

Purki
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Purki » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:31 pm

NIce!

Exactly what I want to do (in my other thread) But with a maggie muggs! and a fan a bit more powerful :)