PJ's for demining

Jets that defy normal classification

Moderator: Mike Everman

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

PJ's for demining

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Viv The links on your post mentions demining. Can you talk some more about it or is it still early days? Guessing you would be using a pulse ram (Big Grin) but optimised to be the noisiest vibratingist thing on the planet.
Am I close!
Seriously in old mine fields with over growth etc the idea of a PJ burning off the covering foliage and heating up the mines to destruction sounds a great line of research. This appeals to me, the old soft hearted Amnesty International belonging liberal that I am.
Of course you could then dry and clean the resulting pot hole before patching with the same gadget LOL
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Pressure Gain Combustion (Now Proven)

Post by Viv » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:26 pm

marksteamnz wrote:Hi Viv The links on your post mentions demining. Can you talk some more about it or is it still early days? Guessing you would be using a pulse ram (Big Grin) but optimised to be the noisiest vibratingist thing on the planet.
Am I close!
Seriously in old mine fields with over growth etc the idea of a PJ burning off the covering foliage and heating up the mines to destruction sounds a great line of research. This appeals to me, the old soft hearted Amnesty International belonging liberal that I am.
Of course you could then dry and clean the resulting pot hole before patching with the same gadget LOL
Hi Mark
Yes demining has been a sideline interest of mine for many years, funny but there are two projects using acoustics in progress internationally, one for detecting and the other for actively triggering mines, none using pjs though ;-) your right about vegetation being a real problem the new machine gets around that problem with a few benefits along the way for farmers, as its a commercial project I cant talk to much about it though yet, the Minewolf website is interesting if you have not seen a mine tiller in operation before or the newer flail type machines for clearing vegetation, a concept I put on hold for a while but will develop later is for a mine hunter UAV to map out the mine locations for later destruction.

Maybe Mike could move these over to off topics if there is more discussion on mine field clearance and humanitarian demining.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

Re: PJ's for demining

Post by luc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 pm

So it is known ...
Attachments
GLC Mine Hunting VTOL.jpg
Conception GLC inc. Mine Hunting VTOL prototype
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Post by luc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:19 pm

So it is known too ...
Attachments
Raytheon Rotary Plateform.jpg
Raytheon concept
Raytheon Rotary Plateform.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 14412 times
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks for moving this to a new thread Mike, appreciated

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Mark

This is another good place to look at the current situation in humanitarian demining work http://www.itep.ws/

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:00 am

Thanks for the links Viv. Very interesting. If I ever get my 60 hp monotube steam car boiler back in action I may have to meet you for a mine bake off.
Opps I've given my idea away! :D
Not really just something I ponder on mainly when I trip over the thing in the work shop. Lots of heat at high velocity with good transfer....sigh another of the dozens of one day some day projects
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Mark

Steam is an interesting take on the whole problem, I wonder how much heat it takes to bake off the explosives? it all comes down to find them first or destroy them were they sit really, the solutions in production come down to those two methodologies, hunters or tillers.

The above UAV picture (not posted by me) (twice) is my original concept from 2004 / 2005 of a proposed UAV mine hunter, now that it has been disclosed publicly it is effectively free and in the wild for any one to develop it if they want too.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi Mark

Your flash steam boiler got me thinking overnight and I recall (just by association) a post in the PDE forum about a small Russian hand held pulse detonation tube for breaking up permafrost, the idea was to break up the frozen ground for digging in the winter, although the power of the shocks generated would fall off quickly it made me spend a moment to wonder about using it for clearance.

Maybe want to stand back a bit though ;-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:21 am

This picture always amazes me as the vehicle is designed to be mine field safe, the crew walked away from this it seems but its a good example, the rest of the article is on DID

Viv
Attachments
LAND_Cougar_6x6_IEDed_EU_Referendum_lg.jpg
Cougar 6x6 courtesy of DID

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 am

Yes apparently from what I read the crew is basically OK.
The South African army had a similiar vehicle from the late 80's that
regularly drove over mines - and the crews walked away - with their ears ringing!
I also read about some one from here gutted out a micro wave oven and was heating the ground
up and then using night sight equipment to spot the mines. Apparently it worked well - but
haven't heard anything else about it.
I like the idea of using a PJ to demine - sure beats using a probe !

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:42 pm

A few "old hands" might remember this one from a few years ago. Several deficiencies that seem obvious now.

L Cottrill
Attachments
Mine_Destroyer.gif
Radio Controlled Mine Destroyer. Drawing Copyright 2003 Larry Cottrill

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:55 pm

luc wrote:So it is known ...

So that it is known? yes known that you have posted this in to the public domain

And heres the picture again (from your post) so you cant delete it ;-)

Viv
Attachments
GLC%20Mine%20Hunting%20VTOL.jpg

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Conception GLC inc. wrote:So it is clear ...
As before, yes it is clear, clear that two pictures were willingly posted to the public domain and very clearly publicly disclosed.

And again here are the pictures from the post so they can not be deleted

Viv
Attachments
Raytheon%20Rotary%20Plateform.jpg
Raytheon%20Rotary%20Plateform.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 14004 times
GLC%20Mine%20Hunting%20VTOL.jpg

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire