Jetkart and a couple of questions

Jack S
Antipspambot question: 125

Jetkart and a couple of questions

Post by Jack S » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey guys,

I built most of this jetkart last summer but only had time recently to finish it off. A lot of the information on this site was very useful so thanks for that.

I have a couple of questions. First, I am planning on building some thrust augmenters but I am not sure what dimensions to make them. I can only find information regarding the general shape of the augmenters but nothing saying the relative dimensions in relation to (and how far from) the tips of the exhaust and intake tubes. The end of the exhaust is 6.5 in. diameter and the end of the intake is 5.5 in. diameter. Could someone please give me a general idea of long and wide, the taper angle, and the distance between the exhaust/intake and the start of the augmenters?

My other question; is there anything I can paint or coat my engine with that has a high enough heat tolerance and won't flake or vibrate off when the engine expands? It is made of mild steel and is rusting pretty badly so I was wondering if there was a way of dealing with that. Rustoleum High Heat spray enamel only tolerates up to 1200 F so I don't think that will work.

Thanks a lot

Jack S

Re: Jetkart and a couple of questions

Post by Jack S » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 am

Nobody?

metiz

Post by metiz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 pm

The forum's pretty much dead unfortunately.

Cool engine and cart though, you don't see too many of those. It might be a good investment to build a new engine from stainless steel. Even if you managed to find a coating that would take the heat, it would simply rot from the inside out.
Quantify the world.

ace_fedde
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by ace_fedde » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Jack,

You might wanna shield off your gas tubes from the heat of the PJ, or your hair is gonna be on fire, and more..
And perhaps you have to turn the gas bottle upside down for better fueling.

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

luc

Post by luc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi,

For your "Thrust augmenter" question, you could use the "PJ Calculator" Exel spreadsheet, for I believe there is a "Thrust Augmentor" calculation tab sheet is this calculator (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong).

As for "Painting your engine", there are few paint coats that will tolerate that heat and expansion, but you're talking "Aerospace" stuff here and it is outrageously expensive. This said, I will go toward the above recommendation of building a Stainless Steel engine, otherwise, the best I've found from past experience, is to spray your engine with DW-40 between runs.

Although this will cause the engine to generate ALLOT smoke on start-up, it also dissipate very fast. So, if your planing a "Demo", you just run the engine away from the audience eyes, do your show or runs, then, spray it back once your done to preserve it.

Well, that what I do and it works very good.

Nice job by the way ... :wink:

Regards,
Luc
Designer & Inventor