Jet powered Lamborghini

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Jet powered Lamborghini

Post by Johansson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:56 pm

We had a bit of fun yesterday helping a fellow racer with his car, we will have to build a better afterburner ignition and fuel control later but at least the engine runs fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46SoM-2QzYQ

It is a Boeing 553 converted for thrust, I built the afterburner last year in 1.5mm stainless. The owners homepage is http://www.itsallfun.se, he doesen´t write very much about the car but there are some pics at least.

Tadaa! /Anders

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Jet powered Lamborghini

Post by metiz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Ha looks like fun! You might get away with starting the afterburner with a blowtorch if you heat up a part of said afterburner until it's red/ orange hot. just holding a flame behind it won't work I think: It'll just blow the flames out of the tube. Looks cool but not realy effective. Just my 2 cents
Quantify the world.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I am thinking about hitting the afterburner during the startup when flames are coming through the turbine wheel, then there might form a stable flame zone in the afterburner.

We need to be able to start it even with the engine running, but it would be an easy way of igniting it without having to build the PWM right now.

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Danny

You need a high pressure ratio across a CD nozzle to get shock rings , this engine wouldn't produce them , a CD nozzle would probably reduce performance in this case :-(

Cheers
John

Anders Troberg

Post by Anders Troberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Cool, that's just 20 km from my home! I hope I get a chance to see it run!

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Anders!

You will absolutely see the car run, last time I spoke with Bosse he was finishing the dashboard so he should be ready well before the race. He hasn´t had time to test the new afterburner control box that a friend built for him but if everything else fails we should be able to fix it at the lake on thursday night before the race.

Make sure to drop by our camp and say hello!