Self launching glider packs a retractable jet engine

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Self launching glider packs a retractable jet engine

Post by Viv » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:28 pm

I can't remember if we have posted the Bonus jet on the forum before? but if so, then sorry, and if not, then here it is ;-)

http://www.gizmag.com/bonusjet-glider-w ... ine/16017/

Viv
Attachments
bonusjet.jpg
Bonus jet in action, credit to www.gizmag.com
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Washout661
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Self launching glider packs a retractable jet engine

Post by Washout661 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Being a fairly experienced winch launched gliding instructor, the idea of carying a retractable 'power pod' is always interesting, but I don't see the benefit of jet vs piston power. The speeds & altitudes flown at don't offset the massive difference in fuel consumption. Whilst it will obviously look & sound better than the pop up propeller type, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell to well unless there is a massive cost saving to be made somewhere.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Self launching glider packs a retractable jet engine

Post by Viv » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi, your probably right and maybe what we are looking at does not yet have a right or wrong way to do it, the fuel problem leaps out at me as well but high thrust, low weight, over the limited time in use, may give a good bang for the buck in this application, a piston engine/prop combo has a higher complexity I guess and storage issues.

I think the solution I really like is the electric versions of this idea that are popping up now, I think in the long run it will be an electrical solution that wins out long term.

But it probably is not going to be any were near as much fun or have as high a climb rate as a winch ;-) I used to watch them launch from an airfield at the bottom of Dunstable downs back in England, while I was standing on top, it was crazy how fast they got up to our height ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire