V-1 Technical Film in 7 Parts

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

V-1 Technical Film in 7 Parts

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 pm

More than you ever wanted to know about the V-1. LOTS of technical details. All in Deutsch, of course. There's tons of information in here I've never seen anywhere else - details of gyros, etc., launch procedures, construction details, the launch piston ... at one point, even a cool animated explanation of wave travel in the Argus tube. Amazing stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjdgVU_ ... re=related

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Re: V-1 Technical Film in 7 Parts

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Any chance of getting someone to translate the second film, the one with the explanation of the pressure waves, it looks very very full on for a 1944 film and its done with such nice animation... I am truely quite amazed.

Why don't they do this kind of thing with national geographic or discovery channel, now I'm forced to watch "Dirty jobs" god damnit. That is not edjumekasional!
Really good find man, great great stuff.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

James -

Yes, there is some fascinating stuff there. I liked seeing the little cylinders that seemed to be the rudder / elevator actuators. An engine detail I'd never seen explained was clearly shown: I thought that there were hundreds of tiny valves, each covering two ports; but no, the animation shows valves that each cover eight ports at once (I think it was), i.e. a moderately large valve area with well-spaced uniform support under load. Much more practical than my previous mental picture of it. Another one: I had always heard that the little nose "spinner" drove a lead screw to determine the range, but the film clearly shows a digital counter (like an automotive odometer). it was interesting to see a few guys slipping a wing onto the tubular steel spar -- it would never have occurred to me that the weapon was assembled that way just before firing, but of course that makes perfect sense. Just a lot of unexpected details; I love it when that happens.

Overall, I get the impression of a much more sophisticated and well-engineered weapon than my earlier idea of it.

L Cottrill

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 am

Very interesting film.
Interesting to see that the some of the valves weren't exactly shutting properly.
Dang those things were big.
I was told about these things as a really really young kid by three different people
- one a former RAF Mosquito pilot - and the other close relative ( a woman ) and later by my Dutch step dad.
I can remember the pilot telling me alsorts of technical details - about the valves - and that it had
a 'clock' counter run by the little propeller in the front - and how the wings slid off on little poles. And that if you shot the things you were really in for an exciting time!He never personally shot one down - but he really dealt to the launching sites -
and any other thing that moved as well. The close relative ( can't remember which Aunt - such a long time ago ) -
talked about the (quote) ' flaming big evil doodle bugs' - but she really knew the technical stuff as well.
My step dad just used to watch the Germans fire them off in the general direction of England - some times they even would go that way - although one circled his home for ages before it augered in.Some even headed off back to Germany ( oops!).
I got no idea how the close relative knew all that technical stuff as well- but my 'olds' always seemed to have some interesting skeleton hidden in some cupboard somewhere.
It's a pity that as a kid I didn't really take much more notice.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Jutte

Yes I really enjoyed watching those films too, I used to know people back in England who remembered listening to them come across kent and in to London, the part were the noise stopped still made them shudder a bit.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire