Any Kahuna Here Who Can Hang Ten?

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Any Kahuna Here Who Can Hang Ten?

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm

All right now, please hear me out on this one before you laugh me off the forums. Please!

Why not a twin pulsejet surfboard? While the picture that immediately springs to mind seems utterly wacky, it's really not that bad a fit when you think about it -- the surfboard, after all, is sort of an aquatic/marine "hang glider", to wit:

- You're way safer on open water than on a paved surface or (worse) on a city street (obstructions, pedestrians, etc.) or in the air (over who knows what terrain)
- The surfboard, well waxed, is a very low-drag watercraft, and requires little power to operate - just a matched pair of small engines would do nicely
- For an experienced surfer, control would be simple and intuitive
- Very "complete" control: planing trim, turning, etc. is all accomplished without fancy mechanical junk
- Jet power would be at the rear and down low, just above the drag CL
- A hand-held "dead man switch" could cut the power immediately in case of "wipe out" (or just "bailing out" if things go bad)
- You could (maybe) jet out near to a big wave, kill the jets, turn around and then surf in "normally" -- be the first Jet Kahuna in your town. Ha!
- Valveless engines could be re-used immediately, even if thoroughly dunked (you'd need to use a bladder type fuel tank, I guess, to keep your fuel dry)

For absolute simplicity, you can't beat this. So, why not? Any REAL surfers out there who can point out why this is a really, really stupid idea?

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Buy me the surfboard larry I'll do that for you, gnarly! But i'd probably only do it on a river!...towing the pulse-jet-kayak
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:38 pm

"How are they biting over there, Pete?" pretty good I already ha-ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÁÁÁRR!!-What the hell was that!
Quantify the world.

Jim Berquist

Jet Board

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 pm

WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:50 am

When your surfboard jets off without you........

I once strapped an H-class rocket motor to the back of a windsurf board, it was awsome but achieved a very "unspectacular" speed. Wasnt lit long enough I think.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

larry cottrill

Re: Jet Board

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Jim Berquist wrote:Here you go, Go to the next level!

http://www.videovat.com/videos/2103/hyd ... board.aspx
Jim, that has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen anyone do! It looks impossible from a stability standpoint, like balancing on top of an oversize golf tee or standing on top of a one-legged stool. Yet, there it is. Of course, I realize that surfers need a very good sense of balance, even on an ordinary board. But this just seems incredible to me.

L Cottrill

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 am

Larry: I rented a sail board while in Greece one day. While in three ft of water I spent the next hour trying to hold up the sail, balance, and get it to move.

There was at least 20 other people Zooming around having the time of there life.

Then it happened! I got moving, Moving, Moving faster, Moving Really faster, Moving Really Really fast, Moving so fast it was all I could do to hold the sail up and keep the right angle on the dangle with the sail. Looking back to see how fare I have gone, BOOOM! Down I go.

Back on the board, I look and say OH SHIT! I was at least 1000 yards from all the others .

It took me another 3 hours of Curcio's travel to get back in. Never Never Again! :roll:

I must had picked that sail back up out of the water 500 times. :twisted:
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]