Pressure-jet gyrocopter

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Pressure-jet gyrocopter

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Someone built a pressure-jet powered gyrocopter and discovered that the G-8 130 did not really push out 130lbs thrust...
Attachments
without_engine (Small).jpg
without_engine (Small).jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 19559 times
Gluhareff_helicopter (Small).jpg
Gluhareff_helicopter (Small).jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 19557 times
Gluey_130 (Small).jpg
Gluey_130 (Small).jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 19567 times

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Ouch, it could have been smart to measure the thrust of the engine before he built a gyrocopter to suit it.

I guess that he can fit a large pulsejet instead but the ride would probably be anything but pleasant... =)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Johansson wrote:Ouch, it could have been smart to measure the thrust of the engine before he built a gyrocopter to suit it.

I guess that he can fit a large pulsejet instead but the ride would probably be anything but pleasant... =)
Well... I can imagine one of Larry's stonking big 'Lady' engines on the back... the adrenaline rush would be such that you wouldn't even notice anything else; no noise, no vibration, just a purely orgasmic rush.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 pm

How much of the thrust is really needed once a gyrocopter is up in the air? A smaller engine could perhaps be used if it was towed up to speed by a car and released once it was airborne.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Johansson wrote:How much of the thrust is really needed once a gyrocopter is up in the air? A smaller engine could perhaps be used if it was towed up to speed by a car and released once it was airborne.
It's not how much is needed for cruise. You do need to take off from any reasonably level surface. Otherwise, you are stuck where you land. My guess is that a single seat gyro would do nicely with 150-200 lbs thrust, but I am not an expert. Also, you need some kind of a pre-rotator for the rotor; without it the take-off distance is really long.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 am

Looks like it was short on some control surface on the tail feathers as well. Gyros use the prop wash to turn. Looks short on surface area to me. I don't think he would get to far on the 5lb tank .

Just some observations!
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:33 am

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:Looks like it was short on some control surface on the tail feathers as well. Gyros use the prop wash to turn. Looks short on surface area to me. I don't think he would get to far on the 5lb tank .

Just some observations!
Well, I think what you see on the picture is just the vertical stabilizer part of the tail. The vertical rudder is probably rather bigger and hung on that stabilizer. It is probably right in the exhaust stream of that engine.

However, the horizontal stabilizer, which is absolutely necessary for a machine that has such a high thrust line, is missing, making the machine dangerous in flight (if it could fly in the first place).

It beats me why the guy put the engine so high, when he had a choice of mounting it low. Gyroplane builders go to enormous lengths to get a low thrust line but this guy, who can do it easily, fails to do so.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 am

Yea looks like he just stuck a propane tank in there and slapped the pressure jet on.... 20 lbs wouldnt get him far.

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:53 am

No, not far. Perhaps four of those, and a 20-gallon propane tank, and he might start going somewhere... probably towards bankruptcy because of the fuel bills, ha-ha-ha...

But still, the thing does look kinda sexy with that engine sticking out in the back, doesn't it?

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:25 am

Hey guys.

Well, that machine scares the crap out of me! more even than an average gyro!
My mate flies them, and i do remember that he said something along the lines of 200lbs thrust was about the practical/usefull limit in flight for a small one...... something like that, it seems kinda low to me, although it did then too.
Take off is the issue tho.
They dont rely on pre rotation at all, and can take of in very small distances with the right conditions, although i wouldnt like to attempt a rough surface, without a good head wind in that one! (thats if that can get it rolling into the wind in the first place)

But, Bruno, sexy it is! gets the mind all ticking away dont it!

Rossco

PS, James and I just happen to be discussing this one following, right at the moment! Possibly a little more practical of an aplication.
This particular one seems to be based on a machine out of an asian cartoon tho... not the most logical place i would take a concept to the degree they have, although it cirtainly got my mind a tickin.
(or did i get the link from this site? now im confused)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtohSZ8U5Hk

http://passive.files.wordpress.com/2007 ... _winds.jpg
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:31 am

Rossco, how good to hear you again!

I'm not sure I get the "They dont rely on pre rotation at all" bit. Without pre-rotation, a gyro takes ages to take-off. In fact, sometimes it just doesn't. A degree of pre-rotation is essential, so much so that people without pre-rotators start turning their rotors by hand to as great a speed as possible, then jump in and step on the gas. A good pre-rotator cuts the take-off drastically. Headwind also helps greatly, of course.

I hear gyros are relatively popular in Australia. They are used to muster cattle over huge ranges. Here's a beautiful Australian-built machine.

Gyroplane is a curious and greatly misunderstood machine. It is the simplest and cheapest practical way to fly, simpler and cheaper than both the helicopter and the fixed-wing aircraft.
Attachments
188.jpg
188.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 19435 times

Klubbsson

Post by Klubbsson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:24 pm

But it seems to work with 2 engines http://www.rqriley.com/glu-heli.htm

But I prefer to fly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jVKRMLy6ZA
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Klubbsson wrote:But it seems to work with 2 engines http://www.rqriley.com/glu-heli.htm

But I prefer to fly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jVKRMLy6ZA
Klubbsson, don't take everything that RQ Riley company says at face value. How to say it without attracting legal action against myself? Their advertising does not often correspond with what I and a number of people I know think is truth.

There exists no documentary evidence that a helicopter powered by a Gluhareff engine has ever flown.

As for flying gliders, yes, it is beautiful, but comparing it with gyroplanes makes little sense. It's like Alpine and Nordic skiing; both are great but totally different.

Another thought intrudes: if you like serene, quiet flight, boy, are you ever in the wrong place here, ha-ha-ha... This forum is the celebration of NOISE.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Gizmag Giro

Post by Viv » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Gizmag have an article on this one that looks very similar

http://www.gizmag.com/sportcopter-super ... lane/8581/

Viv
Attachments
8581_50108125446.jpg
From Gizmag article
8581_50108125446.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 19412 times
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Gizmag Giro

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Viv wrote:Gizmag have an article on this one that looks very similar

http://www.gizmag.com/sportcopter-super ... lane/8581/

Viv
Yes, that's the latest Sportscopter -- not yet for sale; still under development, but already looking like a winner. If I decide to buy a gyro, this is a likely candidate. But, it's not gong to be cheap... I think they are talking of some $ 60,000 ready to fly.