Supersonic PDE thesis paper

Moderator: Mike Everman

heada
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by heada » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:02 am

Abstract:

Future Navy Capabilities indicate the need for a supersonic cruise missile.
Therefore, there exists a need for a low cost, light-weight, and efficient means of supersonic propulsion. NPS has been developing the Pulse Detonation Engine, which in theory has a thermodynamic efficiency greater than 50% as compared to 35% for state of the art constant-pressure cycles currently in use in gas turbines/ramjets/scramjets.
Nonetheless, there are two major problems in the development of this engine. These are the increase of the propulsive efficiency by removing the oxygen-assisted initiator currently in use, and the reduction of internal total pressure losses caused by the highly constrictive internal flow-path geometry currently required to promote the deflagration to detonation transition (DDT). The aforementioned problems have been addressed and a viable design proposed through the implementation of a novel Transient Plasma Ignition system and novel split-flow path engine geometry as described in this work. Future work will concentrate on the development of a performance measurement test rig to experimentally assess the designs presented herein.

A very interesting read about how to increase efficiency of PDE engines so that they will achieve similar performance to turbojets and ramjets without additional oxygen that is currently needed.
Attachments
coaxial flow pulse.pdf
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 1185 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Some creative thinking in that article heada. Good food for thought.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

heada

Post by heada » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:36 am

Mark,

I can't take credit for finding it. Bill Lubarsky asked for someone to read, sort and post several documents he has collected. I volunteered and this is just one of those documents. Credit for the find should go to Bill.

-Aaron

Bill Lubarsky

Post by Bill Lubarsky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:07 am

heada.

I just sent a CD containing over 500MB of files to Mike.
Eventually they will end up somewhere on the web site
in a searchable if not browsable form. They didn't download
with actual titles, usually just publication numbers.

Bill Lubarsky

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:10 am

I'm looking for some sort of gallery/archive software now. I have got a lot of research to make available as well!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I'm looking for some sort of gallery/archive software now. I have got a lot of research to make available as well!
Mike, I have been looking at the wiki software and noticed it can use the PHPBB user database, I am still looking at it but if any one has any experience? could be a good fit for what we need.

PHP is due to go to V3.0 soon so I have not done much as I was waiting to get that out the way before I started a test site with a trial wiki load.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

LINZ
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by LINZ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Heada
It's been a year since the projected completion date of this engine. Do you have any results?

LINZ

heada

Supersonic PDE

Post by heada » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:28 pm

It was a paper written by a naval student and not by me and so I don't have any results to give. You might try sending a request to the US Navy and ask if they have results from this thesis that they could share as they probably own all the information generated from a thesis by a Naval student.

Wish I could give more info.

-Aaron