PDE engine video

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

re: PDE engine video

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:13 am

BTW. does anyone have an idea on what sources of hydrogen are envisaged? Are companies coming up with big electrolysis projects or what?

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: PDE engine video

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:27 am

pezman wrote:At the very least, you'd end up with a high-compression pulse-jet with a very long valve-life.
This is one of the oldest pulsejet ideas of them all.
Attachments
Lorin_1908.jpg
Lorin_1908.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 18051 times

pezman

Post by pezman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:57 pm

Wow, that's basicaly the Wright-Patterson PDE with some minor differences (e.g. 2-cycle vs 4-cycle and different geometry).

As far as hydrogen is concerned -- what a scam. It's got a high energy/kg alue, but lousy storage characteristics and it is currently hard to manufacture. As far as I know, the HYCO process (Hydrogen Carbon Monoxide) is the main manufacturing technique -- not very efficient.

larry cottrill

An Engine Only Al Belli Could Love [or Build]

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Bruno -

How about this variation? [Please excuse the intake reed valve!]

L Cottrill
Attachments
Cottrill_lorin_2005.gif
Cottrill's variation on Lorin. Drawing Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
Cottrill_lorin_2005.gif (6.57 KiB) Viewed 18023 times

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:22 pm

Guys,

Hydrogen fuels ain't in the forseeable future because of safety, storage, and overall efficiencies.

It is conceivable that hydrates offer some promise because the solids absorb much more hydrogen than can be contained in the same volume, even at high and hazardous pressures. However, the bottom line is the bottom line. Namely, physically separating water into its constituents
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS requires more input power than can be obtained by burning them.

One possibility of bypassing this truism is to employ an unlimited and "free" source of energy: Sunlight. Even so and almost regardless of the precise method used, yield would be very slow unless some extremely effective catalyts were found.

Fuel cells look promising if hydrogen-containing liquid fuels can be utilized, other than fossil fuels.

Jerry

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: An Engine Only Al Belli Could Love [or Build]

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:Bruno -How about this variation? [Please excuse the intake reed valve!]
Well, I don't know. To me, the Loudmouth free piston always looked like the ultimate piston-driven jet engine. Yet, it never made it.

I guess the turbine-compressor combo beats them all in the end in terms of power to weight and fuel consumption and mechanical efficiency. However, I am taking it for granted. I don't think I have ever seen the figures.

What I hate is those opening and closing ports in the way of the gas stream.

larry cottrill

Re: An Engine Only Al Belli Could Love [or Build]

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:What I hate is those opening and closing ports in the way of the gas stream.
Well, yes, I know ... but they're so darned effective.

Here's a way out of the reed, since we now have kind of a long tall piston to do the valving anyway. This might make kind of a neat lapped-piston compressor for something ...

L Cottrill
Attachments
Cottrill_lorin_2005_2.gif
Another variation, eliminating the troublesome reed valve. Drawing Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
Cottrill_lorin_2005_2.gif (6.43 KiB) Viewed 18009 times

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:20 pm

Hey larry,

You forgot the transfer port to control the crankcase transfer to the cylinder. This would undoubtedly run, and I might just try to convert a weedwacker engine ( in My spare time; of course ) !!

Al Belli

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Al Belli wrote:Hey larry,

You forgot the transfer port to control the crankcase transfer to the cylinder. This would undoubtedly run, and I might just try to convert a weedwacker engine ( in My spare time; of course ) !!

Al Belli
Ha ha!!! I finally came up with something interesting enough ...

Al, go for it. This I've got to see. When you get around to it, take lots of photos to show how you manage to do it all!

L Cottrill

pezman

Post by pezman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:44 pm

A leaf blower might be a better conversion candidate, since the impeller could be used to super-charge the engine and also possibly supply air to a bypass shroud that would keep the tail cool and add thrust at the same time.

Note that this opens up the possibility of an after-burner if you dump fuel into the bypass ...

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 pm

Some toys for storing hydrogen. I was reading the military likes borohydride in that the weight of batteries compared to borohydride fuel cells is one third for the foot soldier.
Mark
http://www.ovonic-hydrogen.com/images/h ... -large.jpg
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:55 pm

Ovonic is following the money trail. I guess a lot of companies are looking for a big payoff.
Mark
http://www.ovonic.com/
Presentation is Everything

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:26 am

hey Bruno, do you happen to have any more information on the lorin engine? you have really peaked my interest with that one!

larry's variations are some really genius work as well!

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:06 am

A quick and easy way to free hydrogen gas for experimentation is to make up a solution of sodium hydroxide (red devil lye) and water, and add aluminum foil, do this in a bottle and put a big balloon on the neck...
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:11 am

steve wrote:hey Bruno, do you happen to have any more information on the lorin engine?
Sorry, Steve. I never really bothered to investigate it and I have nothing further to offer. It has always looked to me like dead end. Before I started considering valveless pulsejets, I was intensely interested in the Loudmouth-style free piston engine. My version had the central exhaust coaxial with the cylinder, so that the piston moved in line with the thrustline, rather than across it. I would still like to build that one.