Nanosoft's Website!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Nanosoft's Website!

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:46 pm

Hello all, Thank you for reading. I have spent last couple of hours designing a website in photoshop and wanted to know 2 things.

1) What do you think. Its not much now but its a start.(See Screenshot)

2) Does anyone know of a good free host. I used to know a really good one but can't find it anymore. It was good because it gave 250 megs plus instead of changing your domain to geocities.blah.com or 250MegsFree.blah.com it was something like blah.nzl.com.

Thanks

Nanosoft

PS. Click on image to enlarge to see what it really looks like
Attachments
Index.gif
Nano's website
(50.94 KiB) Downloaded 565 times

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Nanosoft's Website!

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:44 pm

Unless you are planning to do this in PHP, it looks like its going to be a bugger to do with frames... Still, Here's hoping it comes out ok, seems like a good style, nice eye candy.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

tufty

Post by tufty » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:17 pm

NanoSoft wrote: 1) What do you think. Its not much now but its a start.
Some comments.

Looks nice, the title bar is a bit fussy for my tastes, but there you go.

I don't like those image titles. Takes an age to render on a dialup connection (yes, some of us are still blessed with those) and will plain not render on certain platforms (my newton, links2 via a terminal on my headless linux boxes, for example)

As Coffee mentioned, you should be doing this in something other than plain old HTML. I'd also suggest PHP or similar, and have it all backed up with a database. Yes, quite a lot of coding up front, but it means you can update _really_ easily, as well as cross-linking _bits_ of pages.

Avoid frames. they are the work of the devil.

Don't use plain html. use xhtml+css. It makes reworking the layout _soooo_ much easier. And use all the accessibility stuff you can. that means <title> tags etc. Be a good ciitizen ;-)

If you want more help, mail me offline.
NanoSoft wrote: 2) Does anyone know of a good free host. I used to know a really good one but can't find it anymore. It was good because it gave 250 megs plus instead of changing your domain to geocities.blah.com or 250MegsFree.blah.com it was something like blah.nzl.com.
If you have an always-on dsl connection, you could do worse than using one of the free redirector services. dyndns or similar. That way you get full control, and something like http://nanosoft.ath.cx. I use their services for client demo sites, works a treat.

Simon

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:25 pm

i have always used brinkster because they were free and never had pop ups or anything.. but they do now :(.... i think it looks great...
if you go to shorturl.com you can choose from a short url... so instead of having www.geocities.com/nanosoft/index.html you could just have www.nanosoft.vze.com etc.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:26 pm

On our web site I went for dumping the frames as it was my first go and I soon learned better! but I did stick with plain old html for this last attempt at our web site.

That title tag thing is a closed book at the moment for me:-)

Hopefully you will think it downloads ok on modem as I kept every thing as simple as I could.

Can you recomend a good book on css as its bugging me big style!

Viv

www.glc-inc.ca
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:56 pm

Viv wrote:On our web site I went for dumping the frames as it was my first go and I soon learned better! but I did stick with plain old html for this last attempt at our web site.

Hopefully you will think it downloads ok on modem as I kept every thing as simple as I could.

Viv

www.glc-inc.ca
If I were you, I'd go with a more... let's say... graphical design? I mean, yes this site is fast loading and simple (in positive terms) but sometimes, when you've got a more "impressing" design, people are more attracted by your website.

If you ever need help (if you want someone to do some graphics), tell me.
Anthony

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:30 pm

Thank you for the comments. In Adobe Photoshop you can slice a image up and export it to a web page format(html). It makes for very quick easy changes with little coding. Also i have a 56k modem and am taking size into consideration. after the hole thing is sliced up into gifs it is only 50 k which on 56k does not take that long to download. I agrre frames are bad but tables are good. Sometimes a pain in the butt but usually there fine.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Anthony wrote:
Viv wrote:On our web site I went for dumping the frames as it was my first go and I soon learned better! but I did stick with plain old html for this last attempt at our web site.

Viv

www.glc-inc.ca
If I were you, I'd go with a more... let's say... graphical design? I mean, yes this site is fast loading and simple (in positive terms) but sometimes, when you've got a more "impressing" design, people are more attracted by your website.

If you ever need help (if you want someone to do some graphics), tell me.
Thanks I may call on you then:-) one of the things I did not want was a visuely noisy page, I do need some graphics work done once I have some images to work with.

Simple clean no fuss is what i am looking for

http://automaticlabs.com/ this i thought was nice design

http://www.didomusic.com/ nice flash site

http://www.faithless.co.uk/ and again

Edit: heres another i forgot about

http://alistapart.com/

Im not trying to impress people with my graphics, they want information and thats what i am trying to give in as speedy and simple a way as possible.

I want them to see what they want or see were to go and get it almost instantly, or at least intuatively.

Its not to say I dont want nice images its just most people are still stuck with modems and I don't want them getting bored waiting for a mega page to download only to find it was the wrong one, they wont look further if that happens.

Text comes down fast, css is faster than coding the page for html formating but its out of my reach just yet.

A clean text layout thats pleasing to the eye is my first goal, so on that score what did you think.

By the way I still need to learn French so the copy is not mine:-) still my first web site so learn Adobe Golive in 20 days flat, then do it all in French!

Viv
Last edited by Viv on Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:24 pm

Yeah, I respect everyone who wants to learn French. Even for someone who's first language is French, it remains difficult to get everything right. The dictionnary and the Bescherelle (verbs) are your best friends... And even there... Reading's the best way to learn it.

I'm gonna give it a go some time this week. I see what you want, could do something light and clean looking for your website. If you've got drawings or/and renders wich I could use when making things such as an header, tell me.
Anthony

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:34 pm

Anthony wrote:Yeah, I respect everyone who wants to learn French. Even for someone who's first language is French, it remains difficult to get everything right. The dictionnary and the Bescherelle (verbs) are your best friends... And even there... Reading's the best way to learn it.

I'm gonna give it a go some time this week. I see what you want, could do something light and clean looking for your website. If you've got drawings or/and renders wich I could use when making things such as an header, tell me.
Thanks it will be interesting to see your take on the idea, I am on the train all day tomorrow going back up to the office at Lac-saint-Jean.

I will send you some images and renders we have when I get back and settled in.

The problem is for 8 years I was spoiled rotten as a Mac engineer, I worked with all these designers for graphics, web design, page layout, I never had to do any anything as they all ways owed me favours:-)

Damn but it all suddenly got hard:-) the other problem is I learned to appreciate good design with out learning how to do it and thats even worse a possition to be in:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:50 pm

Well, the fact you appreciate it is good, cause when you learn how to use software such as Photoshop well you have an idea of what looks good and what doesn't.

If you wanna e-mail me, my mail is a.paquet_at_oricom_dot_ca (I take no chance, sorry...).
Anthony

Viv

Post by Viv » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:02 am

Anthony wrote:Well, the fact you appreciate it is good, cause when you learn how to use software such as Photoshop well you have an idea of what looks good and what doesn't.

If you wanna e-mail me, my mail is a.paquet_at_oricom_dot_ca (I take no chance, sorry...).
Just drop a mail to my forum mail account, its vivcollins@mac.com

Then i will get the address no problem

Cheers

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire