Ducts and power

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Ducts and power

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:45 pm

www.coldenergy.com

If you look over his patent, there are some interesting sketches with duct designs and I don't know, but it all looked interesting. I first saw this fellow in the latest Popular Science Magazine.
Maybe you could get super sonic airflow? Hmmm...
Mark

Stuart

Re: Ducts and power

Post by Stuart » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:00 am

I actually have some practical uses for this kind of thing, thanks for posting this. loooonggg ducts will have strange velocity characteristics.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:14 am

Mark wrote:www.coldenergy.com

If you look over his patent, there are some interesting sketches with duct designs and I don't know, but it all looked interesting. I first saw this fellow in the latest Popular Science Magazine.
Maybe you could get super sonic airflow? Hmmm...
Mark
Nice but what about friction?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:10 am

I don't really know anything about it Viv. I want to say it was in the latest Pop Mechanics and not Pop Sci like I mentioned above.

Here's a long but interesting article on cold fusion that was in last month's edition. It becomes more interesting as you read along, as if there is something, some new form of heat release, even if it isn't nuclear, it seems to be a new kind of phenomenon since they say there is definitely something there. The article is several pages long.
Mark

http://popularmechanics.com/science/res ... s_science/

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:53 pm

Viv says "What about friction?" So right you are. I had some fluid dynamics classes that touched on this, but I've forgotten the details. Friction, causes heat, which I believe actually can speed up the velocity. It's one of those complex entropy AND energy problems, so the results aren't necessarily what you expect, depending on where you are in the Mach regime.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:26 pm

Something bothers me here. Why the hell should air blow fast through those pipes? If there's such a constant pressure difference, why doesn't air blow in the same direction right now? Why isn't there a permanent strong wind at all times? What factor would be changed by the appearance of the pipe? It's the question that has long bothered me about meteorology.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:59 pm

Maybe he's hoping for something similar to the way we use tides to generate electricity, only using changing air pressures as weather fronts move through.
Seems ordinary windmills, what we have already, would be better though, but it is an interesting idea if it pans out.
With using the oceans, you have to fight salt corrosion, at least with air it is more forgiving.
Mark