Favorite aircraft

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Favorite aircraft

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:08 am

hinote wrote:I've seen too many movie clips of rocket-powered experiments spiralling out control--I wouldn't want to be attached to one of them gone awry.
True. But, rocket technology has improved greatly over the past half a century. Blowups still happen, but they are comparatively rare. Just look at the continuing Russian operation (US-financed) to resupply the Space Station. Everything about it is positively ancient, but the whole creaking thing still works, time after time. And it is about a million times more complex than the thing that Rutan craft has strapped on its rump.

Is the PDE really Honda Civic-based? I was under the impression that the piston part was custom-built by Rotax.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:45 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
hinote wrote:I've seen too many movie clips of rocket-powered experiments spiralling out control--I wouldn't want to be attached to one of them gone awry.
True. But, rocket technology has improved greatly over the past half a century. Blowups still happen, but they are comparatively rare. Just look at the continuing Russian operation (US-financed) to resupply the Space Station. Everything about it is positively ancient, but the whole creaking thing still works, time after time. And it is about a million times more complex than the thing that Rutan craft has strapped on its rump.

Is the PDE really Honda Civic-based? I was under the impression that the piston part was custom-built by Rotax.
Looks like a flat-four engine to me...

As for rockets, well, the Ariane rockets crash pretty often, and with pricey satellites inside the cargo bay...
Anthony

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:26 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:

I dont think you mean creaking that way old mate but I will pick up on it any way:-) I prefure to think of it as good solid heavy engineering with loads of margine built in to it.

I watched something the other day about the history of the design bureus and we should remember that these projects were so high profile for the government that failure would have been very very nasty for any individuel that the failure was traced too.

I think most would have wanted to in the rocket if it exploded rather than have a knock at their door later.

I think the result was a focused design team like no other in history!

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:57 pm

Viv wrote:I think most would have wanted to in the rocket if it exploded rather than have a knock at their door later. I think the result was a focused design team like no other in history!
Well, knowing a bit of history -- and having lived under Communism for about 30 years -- I don't think you can have creativity at gunpoint in the longer run. Russians had a very long run -- more than half a century of the space program. Many other factors were at play there. It was a very complex program that included internal competition etc. Prizes were high. Working conditions were excellent.

Also, Russians are not stupid. They understand human (and other) error as well as anyone else and allow for it. The Soviet society in general was much more complex than most Westerners think. One factor working in their favor was very simple and powerful: science. They had an educational and scientific machine without a parallel in history. Scientists were public heroes and elite in practical, everyday life. It gives you a very good foundation for a space program.

yipster

Post by yipster » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:06 pm

browsing my favorites i came acros this site http://www.walter-rockets.i12.com/

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:51 pm

Attachments
mcdonnel_crane.JPG
(73.05 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
120902-800.jpg
120902-800.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 12538 times
Pond%20Racer%20Top.jpg
Pond%20Racer%20Top.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 12539 times
PondRacer%20Sides.jpg
PondRacer%20Sides.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 12538 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:57 pm

The Pond Racer looks like something that might have made a terriffic fighter in World War II with two Merlins up front.

For me, Rutan is a name to conjure with. I know of no other designer in history to have made such a great number of truly oddball designs work so incredibly well so consistently. A genius of the first water.

Just look at how easily and well his Long Eze adapted to XCOR rocket power! I can't help seeing a pulsejet in the tail of that machine.
Attachments
ezflight_10_takeoff_0473.jpg
ezflight_10_takeoff_0473.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 12531 times

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:16 pm

I just found this and had to post it. It just jooks so... evil
like something out of a bad science fiction movie.

It is truly amazing what the Russians can create when given an unlimited budget!

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricA ... krano1.htm
Attachments
LUN_title1.jpg
LUN_title1.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 12430 times
LUN_3view.jpg
LUN_3view.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 12430 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:43 pm

I have run into a reference to a curious aircraft that might be just the ticket for pulsejet propulsion. Namely, it looks like a big moving thrust augmenter. Ideal for our purposes. It also looks so ridiculous that I can't help loving it.

It's a Stipa Caproni. Does anyone know anything about the properties of those barrel wings? I know that the French also experimented with them (the Coleoptere jet). Maybe we could really make a breakthrough here.
Attachments
stipa_rep_takeoff.jpg
stipa_rep_takeoff.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 12391 times
stipa_flight.jpg
stipa_flight.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 12391 times

pezman

PDE EZ

Post by pezman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:08 pm

Bruno,

There is a PDE project at Wright Patterson that uses a Long-EZ as the test platform. Maybe this os old news, but if not, I can probably dig up a reference.

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: PDE EZ

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:14 pm

pezman wrote:Bruno,

There is a PDE project at Wright Patterson that uses a Long-EZ as the test platform. Maybe this os old news, but if not, I can probably dig up a reference.
Yes, I've seen it. It's the one that uses a four-cylinder piston engine as the driver for four PDE tubes, right? A fascinating machine.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:01 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:It's a Stipa Caproni. Does anyone know anything about the properties of those barrel wings? I know that the French also experimented with them (the Coleoptere jet). Maybe we could really make a breakthrough here.
Here's a link pilfered from an issue of ModelFlight online magazine from a couple months ago. It's basically a ducted prop design, less efficient than a ducted fan but better than a conventional open prop. I don't remember if any claim was made for lift from the duct, but if I'd re-read the article I'm sure that would be mentioned. I just happened to remember ModelFlight had a picture of it, and went into their archives to grab the link.

http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Zuccoli/Le ... gends.html

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Larry, yes I realize the effect of the ducted fan is there, but evidently lift is generated, too. How would the Coleoptere fly otherwise?
Attachments
28-8-2003-9-45-coleoptere-1.jpg
(46.65 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:16 pm

The Forum members might be interested to know that one of the experimental F-84 "Thunderscreech" planes is on display at the Museum of the U. S. Air Force in Dayton. Also there is an F-85, U-2, SR-71, Wright 1908 Flyer, P-75, Kennedy's Air Force One, A-12, P-26, and hundreds of other items. How 'bout that variety?
dynajetjerry

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:03 am

Hi,

From Jane's research and experimental aircraft.

Al Belli
Attachments
C1.png
C1.png (145.21 KiB) Viewed 12291 times
C2.png
C2.png (71.98 KiB) Viewed 12291 times