Favorite aircraft

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:41 pm

the cricri has enough thrust to get it up to 240 km/hour (150 mph)!! its not to bad for something that size!!

Stephen

Anthony
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Anthony » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:37 pm

steve wrote:that jet Cri-Cri was pretty cool. now it is not only the world's smallest twin, but also the smallest jet twin. how much thrust does it produce? (and how much trouble would it be to replace the turbines with pulsejets? :-)

the XB-70 is also one of my favorites. I saw the only remaining example at the USAF museum in dayton Ohio. It's bigger then it looks and the view from behind with all eight engines lined up in a row is awe inspiring.
Awesome airplane, yes. However, at high speeds and altitude, a very minimal change of pitch could lead to changes of altitudes in order of 3000 feet in a very short time!

What I like of this airplane is the nose ; it really "points" foraward, and being higher than the rest of the aircraft it leaves a big opened intake. Moreover, it was an escape capsule.
Anthony

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Favorite aircraft

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:31 pm

I have discovered I like aircraft that most people find ugly. For instance, one of my firm favorites is the Warthog.
Attachments
A-10.jpg
A-10.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 8023 times

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:48 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:one of my firm favorites is the Warthog.
Oooh. Warthog. Yes. Many moons ago, I was working a summer job in deepest darkest Norfolk[1], doing pest control. One of the jobs we had was cleaning and spraying two enormous grain silos owned by Bernard Matthews Inc.[2] So, I found myself at the top of one of a pair of giant steel peni[3], spraying insecticide into the small hatch at the top and trying not to be terrified, when a pair of warthogs from a local airbase used the silo I was on as a turning point on their way to the firing range, out in the mudflats. I was looking down into the cockpits. Awesome. I then 'took 5' and watched them off in the distance blasting the crap out of a few old hulks on the firing range. The missiles were cool, but the big (80mm?) cannons were better - the planes pretty much stopped in midair when firing. Scary, ugly, beautiful beasts.

But they're still not as cool as the Lightnings I used to watch take off as a kid. trundle along the runway, stagger into the air, point nose up, full reheat, 'Where the hell did it go, and why can't I hear any more?'

Oddly enough, the next time we did that particular job, we didn't have to climb to the top. We used Dynajet foggers. My first 'up close and personal' view of a pulsejet. Which was ace, but it didn't give the same view.

Simon

[1] Pronounced 'NaaaaaFuk', as in 'Naa f**ker wants to go there'
[2] An UK based turkey produce company, well known for selling vaguely edible, vaguely turkey-like, foods with the catchphrase 'Beyoootiful!' when the phrase should have been 'Bleeeeeaaurgh!'
[3] Really. Those things were _huge_. I think, at the time, they were the biggest silos in Europe.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:15 pm

Where to start?
Military, private, research small large???
To big a topic but as a sucjker for punishment.
F15 F16 F18 Current Sukhoi range, Mig 25 29 31, Beech staggerwing and now the Lion Heart, Spitfire, Corvair, Typhoon, Bearcat, X15, SR71, Dago Red, Rutan Pond racer, Dreadnought, Yak 9, Cirrus SR20, Lancair (any), Pitts with the Radial fitted, Nemises NXT, Concorde etc, etc

Damm I like aircraft gotta go to Oshkosh and Reno again.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:39 pm

I think I have to add one of the little known V bombers the Victor, overshadowed by the Vulcan but a lot nicer looking.

I saw one of these take off from RAF Brize Norton, I was standing at the end of the runway! awsome.

Viv

http://www.tayyareci.com/digerucaklar/i ... victor.asp
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:50 pm

Yeah, I have this one in my jet aircraft encyclopedia. It's a very good looking aircraft.
Anthony

Hank

Post by Hank » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:51 am

Hello- I note that all of the posts in this thread are reaction engine types on the high end of the envelope.
One other item one can consider when thinking of prop noise is the displacement of the prop.
As far as what I'd like parked in front of the Palm Trees next to the shop is the Fiesler 167. My choice has nothing to do with politics. Matter of fact, nothing would please me more than to have ripped off Gerhard Fieselers head with my bare hands. I know how he got his factory.
The Fieseler 167 had a performance parameter greater than any other potential problem for the allies at the time. Speed is not a major consideration in my choice here. Manuverability, endurance and load capacity are. They only built six of these little gems. They spent their service lives as paint test panels and landing gear test rigs at Budweis before being sold to the Rumanians. Seriously, lucky us.
Think the use of a biplane silly? Consider what an handful of Fairey Swordfish "Stringbags" did to the Italian Fleet at Taranto. Hank
Attachments
fi167_2.jpg
fi167_2.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 8005 times

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:08 am

brunoogorelec wrote:I have discovered I like aircraft that most people find ugly. For instance, one of my firm favorites is the Warthog.
no no, the warthog isn't ugly by my standards- it is simply a superb example of form folowing function.

if you want to see a really odd looking one check this out: http://sfstation.members.easyspace.com/xf5u-1.htm
(another of my all time favorites)
The missiles were cool, but the big (80mm?) cannons were better - the planes pretty much stopped in midair when firing. Scary, ugly, beautiful beasts.
30mm actually, a half second burst from this massive gatling gun will launch enough supersonic depleted uranium armor piercing (or high explosive incendiary) rounds to defeat just about any vehicle in the world.
the gun fires so fast that holding down the trigger for much more then a seccond will cause it to overheat.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:27 am

The 30mm bullets travel at a so high velocity they actually melt into plasma, wich allows a better armor penetration.

The A-10 can basically fly back home with a torn wing and/or engine with a cow stuck it it (although AAA damage would be more realistic). The cockpit is protected by armor plates. The US counted on that plane to balance the Soviet's superiority (in numbers) when it comes to armored vehicles.
Anthony

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:47 am

Anthony wrote:The 30mm bullets travel at a so high velocity they actually melt into plasma, wich allows a better armor penetration.
maby not, sounds more like you are describing a railgun (I would love to build one of those!!!!) the 30mm's only travel around 2000-3000 feet per seccond. this is faster then the speed of sound but still slower then some small caliber rifle bullets (my 30-06 shoots around 2500fps and something like a .17 remmington magnum will do over 4000!) and none of these turn into plasma. In fact, one of the reasons the depleted uranium rounds work so well against armor is because they hold their shape well which concentrates all of the impact energy onto a very small point on the armor rather then smushing like lead or another soft metal.

Al Belli

Smushing

Post by Al Belli » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:10 am

Hi Steve,

I can honestly state that I have never heard a better term than
" smushing " to describe a perfectly inelastic collision !!
I love it.

Al Belli

steve

Re: Smushing

Post by steve » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:18 am

Al Belli wrote:Hi Steve,

I can honestly state that I have never heard a better term than
" smushing " to describe a perfectly inelastic collision !!
I love it.

Al Belli
I knew as I was writing it that someone would make a comment about that! I just couldn't come up with any one word descriptions that work half as well as smushing ;-)

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:21 am

steve wrote:
Anthony wrote:The 30mm bullets travel at a so high velocity they actually melt into plasma, wich allows a better armor penetration.
maby not, sounds more like you are describing a railgun (I would love to build one of those!!!!) the 30mm's only travel around 2000-3000 feet per seccond. this is faster then the speed of sound but still slower then some small caliber rifle bullets (my 30-06 shoots around 2500fps and something like a .17 remmington magnum will do over 4000!) and none of these turn into plasma. In fact, one of the reasons the depleted uranium rounds work so well against armor is because they hold their shape well which concentrates all of the impact energy onto a very small point on the armor rather then smushing like lead or another soft metal.
I swear I heard that somewhere hehe. I also heard the US is funding research for railguns, sounds neat.
Anthony

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:48 am

s'pose I should chime in... My faves are the Hellcat and Curtis Hawk P6-E. I didn't find a decent pic of the hawk, but I've spent many a daydream about going deep in the pacific to find the Hawks that went down with the Navy dirigible Acron (I think it was). They should be well preserved as deep as they went.
Mike