I caught this fish and it was this big!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

I caught this fish and it was this big!

Post by Viv » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:22 am

The official off topic forum fishing thread.

Only posts accompanied by photographic evidence will be accepted.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:38 pm

"You're going to need a bigger boat"...

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:25 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:"You're going to need a bigger boat"...
Hey this was from the marina! its nice i can pop over to the cafe for a coffee and hotdog when I want, I am not so sure about this boat idea unless we can take a picnic hamper:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:23 pm

At $30 per fish, you can afford to motor out beyond the rocks and logs.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:37 pm

I was thinking more of the movie JAWS...Hey, it even looks like you! (from a distance) :-)
Attachments
Jaws_1.jpg
Jaws_1.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 15648 times

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:52 pm

Mike Everman wrote:At $30 per fish, you can afford to motor out beyond the rocks and logs.
What are you talking about, Mike? Do you have to pay $30 to catch a fish in Montana? The fish are still free up here, but most provinces require you buy a little licence for 20 or 30 bucks. This allows you to hook 3 or 4 per day all year. By the way, Viv, that has to be the smallest catch I have ever seen (unless you have REALLY big hands). Okay, when I was five I used to catch minnows in the Rideau River with a plastic bag but that fry you are holding there Viv is definitely the second smallest catch I have ever seen. I wish I had some snaps of when I went salmon fishing out west years ago. I caught a Coho that was 21" long and another type that was 25" long. At the end of the afternoon I had reeled in enough salmon to fill up 44 cans (they had a cannery there too).
Trig IS fun.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:31 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:
Mike Everman wrote:At $30 per fish, you can afford to motor out beyond the rocks and logs.
What are you talking about, Mike? Do you have to pay $30 to catch a fish in Montana? The fish are still free up here, but most provinces require you buy a little licence for 20 or 30 bucks. This allows you to hook 3 or 4 per day all year. By the way, Viv, that has to be the smallest catch I have ever seen (unless you have REALLY big hands). Okay, when I was five I used to catch minnows in the Rideau River with a plastic bag but that fry you are holding there Viv is definitely the second smallest catch I have ever seen. I wish I had some snaps of when I went salmon fishing out west years ago. I caught a Coho that was 21" long and another type that was 25" long. At the end of the afternoon I had reeled in enough salmon to fill up 44 cans (they had a cannery there too).
Ah sorry Mike no picture no mention! you need the evidence or we cant accept it:-)

It was $30 dollars of tackle lost to teach me to catch one:-) and that one in the photo is the second fish as Luc the plonker never told me he had given me a 4lb line so the first nice fish just snaped the line as soon as i tried to land it.

It was big enough to snap the line how ever big it really was we will never know.

Any way the one in the photo was not so big but it tasted nice so who cares:-)

Viv
Last edited by Viv on Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:31 pm

Mike, Viv was saying he lost about $30 in tackle to get that minnow. Looks like it was tasty, though.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:06 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Mike, Viv was saying he lost about $30 in tackle to get that minnow. Looks like it was tasty, though.
Hey Mike are you going to post that picture of livebait?

Viv:-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:41 am

It was $30 dollars of tackle lost to teach me to catch one:-) and that one in the photo is the second fish as Luc the plonker never told me he had given me a 4lb line so the first nice fish just snaped the line as soon as i tried to land it.

It was big enough to snap the line how ever big it really was we will never know.

Any way the one in the photo was not so big but it tasted nice so who cares:-)

Viv[/quote]

I know the feeling, I couldn't get my cigar minows down to the bottom to snapper fish before the king mackerel would nab them, way out at sea, out of site of land. My brother had given me 6 feet of 80 lb. test monofilament leader and they just cut through the line in short order after a strong pull or two. I was lucky to just hook one on the edge of it's mouth so that it's teeth couldn't snip the 80 lb. test. I could have caught a dozen that day with a mere 6 inch length of steel leader before the hook I suppose, I just needed some steel. The limit on kings in Florida is just two per person per day.
Mark

PS Some patron wanted to read this article in Fortune Magazine today at the library but I just pulled it up on the net for them. Not the best photos but the shallow emerald water is really pretty, coming in from a long day at sea especially when seen against the sugar white beaches.

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:yY ... n&ie=UTF-8

Mark

Viv

Post by Viv » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:31 am

Ok Chaps the competition is starting to hot up a bit!!

This is one of our friends little catches

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:56 am

Yes, a very nice catch indeed. The fish looks good too.
Trig IS fun.

Mark

Materials Science

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:33 pm

Viv,
4 lb test leader is quite sporting! Not much chance of them being put off by the line but you definitely need a rod tip that bends and the drag set way below that.

I haven't been using this line too long but it sure is thinner than the old monofilament. A reel with 80 lb test Power Pro can hold about as much line as if you were winding 20 lb test on it. And you can cast farther too because it is thinner with less drag and less drag on the line is better if you are fishing where there is current too. You don't have to yank on the line to set the hook like a madman either, it doesn't stretch. I just lift up on the pole when I feel them biting.
Mark

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... -PPSL.html

Mark

Mahi mahi

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:59 am

I just came home from work today and found these fish on my doorstep buried in an ice chest full of ice. My brother had dropped them off for me. Of course if I had gone I would have caught as many. So I cleaned fish today, and I didn't even get to cast out my line. I once caught one over 30 pounds in the Keys when I was but a lad. They are about the prettiest fish you could catch. My brother said he came across a log floating out in the gulf, these fish are attracted to or like to hang out under sargasso seaweed or any floating object.
Mark

http://indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/dolphin.html

steve

Re: I caught this fish and it was this big!

Post by steve » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:24 pm

I went 'deep sea fishing" today and caught 4 bluefish. I went with my boy scout troop and we had to leave home at 4:30 in the morning (on a day when I usually sleep to 10:00!) It was fun except for having to get up early.
Attachments
Cold and Tired.JPG
Cold and Tired.JPG (39.13 KiB) Viewed 15332 times
Fish.JPG
Fish.JPG (35.25 KiB) Viewed 15333 times