I caught this fish and it was this big!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Re: I caught this fish and it was this big!

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:08 am

One time down here I was fishing on a pier at Ft. Pickens National Park, and I heard this scream. I asked what happened a few minutes later to some passerby. The guy was trying to take a fish hook out of a fishes mouth. I asked what kind of fish was it and the person said, "A bluefish." I've caught them on the beach here, they are normally kind of small, 18 or so inches long. But one day I hooked one and got him close and I asked my brother to grab it, but he was chicken, we were standing in a few feet of water. Then the teeth cut the line and this very large bluefish escaped, around 10 pounds or so. I would have used steel leader if I had known they were biting.
When I lived in Connecticut, I read in the paper a short article of a person who had a round chunk of his leg bitten out by a bluefish it said, as the person was standing in the surf. Bluefish are said to be able to see out of water quite well, so it is a good idea not to give them an opportunity to bite you.
Mark

mag
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by mag » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:04 pm

Competition goes on... :-) Here´s my favourite fish, not very big but beautiful! Nice brown trout from a small river here in my region.
Attachments
bachforelle.JPG
bachforelle.JPG (170.32 KiB) Viewed 11744 times
Trust me, I know what I´m doing... o_O

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:22 pm

mag wrote:Competition goes on... :-) Here´s my favourite fish, not very big but beautiful! Nice brown trout from a small river here in my region.
Very nice! here we get trout from a creek about a mile from the office, very tasty:-) trout season has finished but we can still fish for walleye (doree).

Soon I am hoping for the cold to set in so we can start ice fishing on the lakes, this will be my first time so I am looking forward to it.

We got three to four inches of snow yesterday so the winter season is finally starting and I can go snowbaurding too:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:42 pm

Viv wrote:We got three to four inches of snow yesterday so the winter season is finally starting and I can go snowbaurding too:-)
Yay. It's getting that way here, too, I picked up a new secondhand pair of K2 snowboard boots for 15€ this afternoon, my old ones are officially retired. Now all I need is to find a skwal from somewhere and I'll be as happy as a pig in ... snow.

Simon

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:05 pm

tufty wrote:
Viv wrote:We got three to four inches of snow yesterday so the winter season is finally starting and I can go snowbaurding too:-)
Yay. It's getting that way here, too, I picked up a new secondhand pair of K2 snowboard boots for 15€ this afternoon, my old ones are officially retired. Now all I need is to find a skwal from somewhere and I'll be as happy as a pig in ... snow.

Simon
I went shopping today for gear, I cant find any second user so it looks like new is the only way.

Pricey! I like the new Burton bindings with the toe strap, they do a nice boot with two pull cords, one for the toes and foot and one for the calf, looks a good system and less complex than the bowden cable systems.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:31 pm

Sigh. All this talk makes me feel so sorry for my Rossignol gear up in the attic. Just gathering dust.....almost enough to make me cry *Whimpers*

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:44 pm

Coffee wrote:Sigh. All this talk makes me feel so sorry for my Rossignol gear up in the attic. Just gathering dust.....almost enough to make me cry *Whimpers*

Tom
Talk to Tufty about it he is the perfect location:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:42 pm

No wistful pining for snow here, but I did get a fistful of rainbows and a beautiful brown at Lone Pine Lake, about an 1,800 ft hike up from Mt. Whitney Portal a few weeks ago.
Stuffed them with pineapple, beer, roasted garlic and onion, and pine nuts.

I'm using Viv's trick of holding them closer to the camera!

this was a high alpine lake, very gusty wind but thought what the heck, I'll try fly fishing it. Used a green mosquito dry. What fun, caught 10 in about an hour. ;-)
Attachments
IMG008.JPG
IMG008.JPG (288.05 KiB) Viewed 11704 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:57 pm

Mike Everman wrote:No wistful pining for snow here, but I did get a fistful of rainbows and a beautiful brown at Lone Pine Lake, about an 1,800 ft hike up from Mt. Whitney Portal a few weeks ago.
Stuffed them with pineapple, beer, roasted garlic and onion, and pine nuts.

I'm using Viv's trick of holding them closer to the camera!

this was a high alpine lake, very gusty wind but thought what the heck, I'll try fly fishing it. Used a green mosquito dry. What fun, caught 10 in about an hour. ;-)
Hey not bad but I take exception to your hurtfull accusation of photographic trickery!

Mainly becouse I didn't think of it in time:-)

Not much fishing lately as we were to damn busy duck hunting but the ducks and geese numbers have droped now so it will be back to fishing soon with duck hunting reserved for bad weather days.

Viv
Now google searching field of vuiew settings on photography sites:-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:56 am

You guys need to be going for larger fish. Imagine hooking into a submarine in fresh water. I use to live in Oregon and catch minnows (trout) as you say. Still, there are bigger fish that live in fresh water.
Mark

http://www.snakeriverguides.com/
Presentation is Everything

Viv

re: I caught this fish and it was this big!

Post by Viv » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:46 pm

Well the fishing season just ended up here in Quebec, Luc and I wen't off for a rare (very rare) break, shut the shop and burue for the holiday weekend and wen't fishing in some lakes about 60k from us.

Nice day in a canoe feeding the fish with worms, but we did catch a few:-)

Viv

Mike Everman

fishing

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:03 am

My son Connor (11) has gotten pretty good at tying flies. He's got two customers now buying his Clouser Minnows. He's saving every penny for a bass boat. Kid's got Plans.
Attachments
connor's clousers 004 small.JPG
(306.96 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Those are VERY nice Mike! I wish I could tie one like that.

Clouser's are one of my favorites. Great for the "big" trout, and just about anything else that swims, too.

Mark

Fishing and eating fish

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:59 am

I just had some king mackerel my brother caught for me. I feel guilty though. I eat tuna and he also gave me some slabs of amberjack. So if I seem crazy, it' probably just the mercury and PCB's, I say I've got an excuse. ha
Click on the little fish on the right to enlarge the lemon-lime colored Brane Fude poster.
Here'a few lures my brother made, I think I posted them in the past though.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/reports/fish_report.html

Lessons Learned from Farmed Salmon
A consumer might think that farmed salmon would contain fewer toxins than sea or lake fish, since farmed fish live in a more controlled environment. But, at least in the case of salmon, the opposite is true. Researchers analyzed 2 metric tons of farmed salmon from major salmon-farming sites around the world for organochlorine contaminants and found that the levels of these toxic compounds are significantly higher in farmed than wild salmon.20 Scientists suspect that this concentration of toxins is caused by the practice of feeding these fish large volumes of contaminated fish remains.
Attachments
DSCN0313.jpg
DSCN0313.jpg (70.87 KiB) Viewed 10279 times
Presentation is Everything

Irvine.J

Fishing

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 am

Giant fish once swam the forest! Think i'm kidding! Their remains can still be seen today LOL Hahaha! :-D
Try taking a bite outta that one!
Attachments
Derby-Big Fish-P2.jpg
Derby-Big Fish-P2.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 10253 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]