NUDiS trouble

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

NUDiS trouble

Post by metiz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 pm

I've been starting to use NUDiS in the past 6 months or so with the help of Graham. One constantly recurring problem, on multiple OS'ses and office versions is that in the combustion run or quite often even before I get to the point where I can start the combustion run, I will get a number of errors on seemingly random itterations or before any run can commence after I press "run NUDiS" Normally this can be attributed to a number of problems with the engine itself but I have come the the point where I think it's HIGLY unlikely that it has something to do with the engine design and more with NUDiS and my pc itself. I've imputted my 5 pound thermonese engine into the program and it will crash at a random itteration number on the combustion run. I send the .QSAV file to Graham and he's having no problems running it at all. This seems to confirm that it's not design related. I have an open version of NUDiS, given to me by Graham. He suggested I make a slight modification in the source code, basically increasing a waiting period. However, I don't know how to make those modifications and I have not been able to contact Graham for a couple of months. Can some-one help me with this?
Graham:
If you look in the code behind the Combustion book or the Analysis book you'll find in the iterative combustion routine a bit of code that looks like this:

Do While EndofCycle = False 'Look for The start of induction

'1a) The Data Output for Testing

CCRowNumber = CCRowNumber + 1
' 2) Run NUDiS
ChDir "C:\NUDIS"
Nudis = Shell("C:\NUDiS\NUDiS.exe") ' Run NUDIS

'Allow Some Time For NUDiS To Finish. Wait 3 sec.

newHour = Hour(Now())
newMinute = Minute(Now())
newSecond = Second(Now()) + 2
waitTime = TimeSerial(newHour, newMinute, newSecond)
Application.Wait waitTime

' 3) Get Results
' Load New Files
' Pressure
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\NUDiS\p.dat"
' Gas Velocity
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\NUDiS\v.dat"
' Gas Temp
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\NUDiS\T.dat"
' Wall temp
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\NUDiS\wall.dat"
' TIME
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\NUDiS\time.dat"

Notice the wait that has been inserted after the call to NUDiS.exe - (newSecond = Second(Now()) + 2 or 3 in the Analysis book) Increase the wait value a second at a time and see if that helps.
Quantify the world.

Eric
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: NUDiS trouble

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I've tried nudis a few times, every time I get computer upgrades I try it again, but it drives me nuts because I can calculate the performance by hand faster. I dont know if my microsoft office is just ridiculously slow, but it takes thousands of itterations per cycle and you dont get any accurate results from the first few cycles. I dont have the patience to let the computer just do its thing for 6 or 8 hours.

Is about 1 iteration a second the normal speed?

If it was written in C++, using the nvidia cuda processing capabilities, you could run nudis in real time, and have a pull and grab geometry features, so that you can instantly see the performance change as you change the shape. Now that would be handy.

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

metiz

Post by metiz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 am

Now if only I were a programmer :)

1 sec/ cycle is actually a bit fatster then the older models do (on this pc at least) the newer version(s) will do =<1 sec/ cycle. A 10 cycle combustion run will normally run through between 2 and 4 hours depending on the complexity of the model.
Quantify the world.

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by WebPilot » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:33 am

metiz wrote:Now if only I were a programmer :)
You can be a programmer if you really desire to be one ... but you have to start programming.

Try Python.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 am

Technically I did learn html, php and sql in school but the html has faded, the php was....bluffed throuh and the sql is useless realy.

I don't want to imput the time needed to learn something I have no real use for :P
Quantify the world.