Linux glitches

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

vturbine
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Linux glitches

Post by vturbine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Tiffs unfortunately are a very loose (read, historically de-facto non-standardized ) format. And so, many programs will have difficulty reading some tiffs created by other programs. Sort of an image Babel. Best to try to find a program that handles a particular troublesome tiff and then convert it to another format. If it's a black and white image (frequent) maybe an indexed png to try to keep it small.

If however you were once able to open a specific tiff file in Evince, and can no longer open that same file -- something happened to Evince -- possibly worth investigating. Most frequent problems of this sort are usually caused by automatic program upgrades.

Now for pdf's. I hate to say this, after trying MANY pdf viewers in both Linux K and G desktop flavors, but the viewer of choice for me now is Adobe's Acrobat (Linux variety).

I know many will disagree and protest that their pdf viewer is great, but in some of the graphic work I've done (frequently using OODraw), none of them have rendered gradients for printing in an acceptable quality, or provided some of the features (like snapshot for scaling a large drawing into tiled pages for printing). All seem to work acceptably for normal uses, like reading pdf manuals onscreen, etc.. But high quality graphic printing seems to separate the men from the boys.

I'd very much like to use an alternative viewer because Adobe is quite bloated, slow to open, privacy intrusive, and for a long time anti-competitive, but I have to say, they do a quality job with the graphics. Understandably.

It's possible to use an earlier version to avoid the bloat, and the other problems have workarounds, and respond to some preference settings.

Latest version download:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... tform=unix

Other versions generally available elsewhere.
No problem is too small or trivial if we can really do something about it.

Richard Feynman

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by WebPilot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:18 am

WebPilot wrote: ...

My workaround has been to supplement my system with two other pdf viewers; each of which display the troublesome pdf file properly.

and

Adobe Reader for Linux - x86 (.deb), English:
  • Adobe Reader 9.1.2 60.5 MB
  • Adobe Reader 8.1.6 47.1 MB

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:42 am

I had a glitch with QCad version 2.0.5.0 (Community Edition) running on Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

The problem is with Nautilus 2.22.5.1.

If I click on a saved .dxf file created with QCad from a former session, QCAD launches, but I get this error message

You can see the file location error, namely,

/home/fde/file:/home/fde/myDrawings ...

To cure this I simply ...

Anders Troberg

Post by Anders Troberg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 am

If you fail to boot Linux, you might consider a reinstall. Now, before people start chucking chairs at me, let me explain:

A reinstall in Windows is a big thing which is not done casually. You'll lose all software and settings, you'll have to find those pesky drivers and so on.

Not so in Linux.

What you need to do in Linux is to boot from the live CD so that you can access the HD. Then copy your home directory to a USB stick or network server (even better, put it on a network server to begin with, that way, it's always safe).
Make a list of installed packages. Now, there are scripts to do that, but they require you to run them from a working system, so you'll probably have to memorize what you've installed.
Now, reinstall. Install all software (quick with the package manager, even quicker if you have a list from a script, in which case there is another script to install them). Then just copy your home directory to the new install. Everything should now be fine. Your software, settings and everything should be as it was.

I've used that method when I installed eight new machines (four laptops, for desktops, all with an installation based on the same machine). When I had the installations running in paralell, it took me less than 15 minutes per machine, and most of that time was due to me choking the network. A very neat way to mass-install with settings, software and all.

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:35 pm

I haven't used Ubuntu much in awhile and stopped at ver. 7.10 when I switched to Puppy Linux, but your file address nomenclature /home/fde/file:/home/fde/myDrawings is not something I'm familiar with. Maybe it's a new way of doing it, or an old way I'm just not familiar with. Apologies if so, but why isn't it just:

/home/fde/myDrawings ?

Also, while I'm sure you named your folder myDrawings yourself, the cases seem atypically mixed -- it's fine to name it whatever you want but just to check on the remote possibility of typos, did you really name it myDrawings? Or was it MyDrawings or mydrawings or Mydrawings ?

Finally, at least in Puppy there are two kinds of Linux file links: absolute and relative. Links are similar to Windows shortcuts. A Linux file link, depending on type, may or may not point appropriately if the original file is moved, or its directory re-named. Since you didn't say whether you were trying to click on a file link, or the original file icon, maybe this has something to do with the problem.

I also think that QCad's error messaging in this case is somewhat deceptive. The mention of permissions is merely a suggestion of one possibility for the user to investigate, not something that the error system has found to be an actual problem. I believe the same message will be thrown for many other unrelated problems -- that's a guess on my part that I haven't tested through. I'm not using QCAD right now.

I do see that you created a workaround, which I'm guessing you will add next post.

Richard Feynman

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for that, Anders.

Well vt, that's all I had to go on to attempt a fix. I couldn't find one on the RibbonSoft site.
WebPilot wrote:Image

I had a glitch with QCad version 2.0.5.0 (Community Edition) running on Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

The problem is with Nautilus 2.22.5.1.

If I click on a saved .dxf file created with QCad from a former session, QCAD launches, but I get this error message

You can see the file location error, namely,

/home/fde/file:/home/fde/myDrawings ...
To cure this for now,
  • * I right mouse clicked on a .dxf file,
    * left mouse clicked on 'Open with Other Application',
    * chose 'Use a custom command'
    * I typed in the word, qcad
    * left mouse clicked on Open
Now when I left mouse click on a .dxf file, QCad launches and I see the drawing.

EZ PZ

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Then that's a fix, not a workaround.

The .dxf file association was apparently wrong for QCAD's required opening syntax (probably a mime problem). You corrected it.

Richard Feynman

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 pm

vturbine wrote:Then that's a fix, not a workaround.

The .dxf file association was apparently wrong for QCAD's required opening syntax. You corrected it.
I think it was more like Qcad could not find the file; possibly some glitch in some script's command line. µSoft does something similar with file associations.

Regardless, I posted in Feb 2009 my cure on the RibbonSoft forum. I received a response back in July of this year.
Thanks so much webpilot, you've saved my life, career, marriage,...........
Unknown people have helped me in the past. It was time I helped someone else.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 am

This program used to complain about not finding my sound card. I read quite a bit about possible remedies, but the few I tried did not make it work. It now works.

The glitch is fixed but not by me; it's possibly due to one of my recent installs of upgrades.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Xine is working now, too. Some video players have troubles 'syncing' audio with video in some .avi files. I just keep choosing until I find one that 'syncs'.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:27 am

I just downloaded an update that requires a system reboot to complete the installation. I do hope this one goes better than the last one did.

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Good luck! It's painful when they cause problems.

I have the same sound problem with Avidemux on Puppy. But I haven't bothered yet to troubleshoot it. If I do find the cause of the problem, I'll post it

Richard Feynman

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:07 am

Avidemux gives me this error message,

I can still edit, save and then play the cropped video with audio. I just can't hear it while I am editing the file. I think some other program is not "releasing" the audio device when finished.

vturbine

Post by vturbine » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Try Avidemux Tools>Preferences>Audio>Audio Output>OSS

Works for me in Puppy, even though ALSA is supposedly my standard audio device. Or try some of the other audio device choices in that pulldown list.

Richard Feynman

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:40 pm

I had to use Avidemux Edit>Preferences>Audio>Audio Output.

It was already OSS, so I tried ALSA. Nope. I tried SDL. Yes, that works for now, but audio is scratchy and video is jumpy.