Space Opera Has Come Of Age?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Space Opera Has Come Of Age?

Post by Viv » Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 pm

I know a few of us here read SiFi so I thought I would post a link to this article on Io9 about space opera as a modern genre, personally I found it interesting how many of the authors mentioned I had on my book shelves including a goodly collection of E.E. Doc Smith

http://io9.com/5238482/space-opera-has- ... ans-behind

If your in to SiFi read the article and see how many authors you recognize ;-) and see who you think should have been mentioned?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Space Opera Has Come Of Age?

Post by Mike Everman » Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 am

Love it. Great list. I think I've read something from 95% of those mentioned, though don't go much in for short stories. I just devoured the final of five from Elizabeth Moon called "Victory Conditions". Great space opera. Finishing a Vinge now. I think "Fire Upon The Deep" was a Great Work.

Not mentioned: C.S. Friedman. Particularly "Madness Season" (read at least five times), though her fantasy Coldfire series was fantastic, too. I'm eagerly awaiting the second of a new fantasy series from her.
John Steakley's "Armor". Absolutely classic for his only Sci-Fi book. Starship Troopers done oh so right. I've bought this one, given it away and bought and read it again probably six times. Like Niven's "Protector".
Steve Perry's "Matador" series.

Mentioned is one I've only recently read, Allistair Reynolds. Great writer. Looking for another from him.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Jutte
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Jutte » Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 am

Oh dear - great stuff...but have been long banned from buying anymore
Sci-fi books by "she who must be obeyed".Had to fight hard to keep
as much of my ' Sci- fi 'library' when we shifted house.
Other banned things include buying more high powered weaponary, or sharp shiny pointy
things and the biggy...
..no more mixing of explosives on the kitchen oven.
Now THAT is as near to 'space opera' as I am ever going to get...

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Ghrey » Sat May 16, 2009 2:10 am

I mis having time to read. My dear wife still buys and reads S.F. I sadly have time only for the odd tech manual and some on line forums...

Seigh.....
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.