Martin backpack flying machine improves

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Martin backpack flying machine improves

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:35 am

This is beginning to look good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tPDlwN ... r_embedded

It is still too bulky.

I am still convinced my two-pulsejet pack with the siamesed toroidal thrust augmenter would beat it. (Though it does look a little too optimistic now in the bulk stakes. :D )
Attachments
jetpack04c.GIF

Jutte

Re: Martin backpack flying machine improves

Post by Jutte » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 am

Just saw your picture of your jet pack!
Woohoo - Bruno...really loud, really dangerous...can I have first go?

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Martin backpack flying machine improves

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Jutte wrote:Just saw your picture of your jet pack!
Woohoo - Bruno...really loud, really dangerous...can I have first go?
Hahahahaha... Sure. The technology is simple and existing; nothing very adventurous. Just two big pulsejets blowing into a common torus, so that, if one quits, the thrust falls but does not disappear -- and, very important, remains symmetrical. If you don't trust pulsejets, or can't abide by their noise, use two small turbojets instead.

Here's a sketch of the layout. The pulsejets are fed by a common toroidal intake manifold and are feeding a common toroidal thrust augmenter (or whatever you may care to call it). The 'augmenter' has two jet exhausts that end in rotating nozzles that aim the thrust downwards (lift), or backwards (forward thrust), forwards (reverse thrust) or wherever you want them to point. Turn them in opposed directions and you get yaw.

Everything is packaged inside a streamlined carbon-fiber cocoon. What the pilot carries on his back is actually just a fuel tank. Everything else is in that cocoon perched on top. I ws optimistic in terms of size when I drew the first sketch (the pilot with the flying machine). I guess everything would actually be perhaps 50 percent bigger.
Attachments
flat_pack_08.jpg