Great Australian Wildfire (You OK, James?)

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Great Australian Wildfire (You OK, James?)

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:26 pm

James, you're a Melbourner, right? Are you OK so far, and can you report in?

All the best -- stay safe, mate!

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Re: Great Australian Wildfire (You OK, James?)

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 pm

OK, I'm just ... WRONG again! James hails from Brisbane, well north of the disaster area.

I know we had at least one bloke from Melbourne. James (or anybody) -- who is that? Heard anything from them?

These fires are a horrendous disaster, partly "fueled" by the highest summer temps on record for SE Australia. Several deaths so far, and huge loss of property.

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Dear Larry,
Thanks for your concern good buddy,
Rossco and I thankfully live in Queensland, many km north of that area. We still aren't sure of the final toll, lest 3 towns are completely gone, several more are only semi burnt to the ground (whatever that means) and theres 180 odd dead and is expected to increase to over 200 as more people are found...its not over yet, its a fucking disaster. Those poor bastards didn't stand a chance, trying to escape on road was impossible, people trying to escape in their cars didn't make it, it is just too hot, and moved way too fast. Basically the entire state was burning at one point. Arsonists have been blamed for starting many of them... I hope like hell they catch them...

Should be mentioned though that there are many dead up north now too as we've had the worst flooding (ever i'm pretty sure) up near Ingham. Towns are completely cut off and they have for the first time in a month being able to get much needed supplies in. The flood waters hit, dropping about 1000mm in a few days, then more rain came and did it all again. Final "Missing" is quite a few but there isn't and end in sight yet with more rain on the way. Its just an all round horrid time in our nations history. They've banded together well to ride it out and the rescue groups are all working their ass off and doing a fantastic job getting food and water and medical supplies, tribute to those guys north and south!

I'm not sure who on the forum is from Vic, Racketmotorman your from NSW right? Check in?
Chaddles is from Bribie so he's ok.

Tribute the emergency services guys for doing their absolute best.
Regards,
Irvine J.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 am

Even though I'm across the ditch ( the Tasman Sea ) I haved lived in Oz and
have seen what the bush fires can do - really scary stuff to see a gum tree
EXPLODE into flame and roos on fire. Damn scary stuff. I have helped NZ fire crews
here in NZ put out smallish bush fires - but nothing like what they have just experienced
in Aussie.
Apparently these bush fires are nothing like anyone has seen - fires hardly moving
and then sprinting covering many kilometers in an hour or so.About a year ago one of the NZ bush
fire crews got seriously caught by a fire that jumped them in Aussie.
Breaks your heart and I hope everything gets under control.