Sudden Zune death?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Sudden Zune death?

Post by Viv » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:03 pm

There are a number of reports of Microsoft 30Gb Zune mp3 players suddenly dying at 12 p.m. pacific time, yes its like Y2K but for music players and ironically brought to you by the same company ;-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/zune_death/

This type of player with a large hard drive can be very useful in the pulse jetters computer tool box, the 30Gb hard drive in Apple Ipods can be used as a very convenient and secure external hard drive for data acquisition system or other file transfer needs but I am not sure if the Zune can be used in this way too.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

pezman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Sudden Zune death?

Post by pezman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 pm

I love how the Ad system automatically posts a Zune advertisement under this post :lol:.

Perhaps if I refresh the page, the system will infer my location from my IP address and, based on the keyword "death", post advertisements for local morticians :shock: . Ha!

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:02 am

:-) don't knock it, it pays for the bandwidth ;-)

Ironic though for the advertisement, I wonder if google have a sense of irony worked in to their algorithms

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Just a little more to this story as there seems to be a solution to the internal clock time problem of Zunes, more time!

Time heals wounded Zunes, Microsoft website says, http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009 ... e-fix.html

Seems its an odd year we have in 2009 with a leap second being added, Microsoft missed this and the internal clock screwed up and disabled the player until today when the new year starts!

What worries me is this is the second time for Microsoft to have a calendar related problem but now they have products running military equipment and systems, what happens if our forces find they have 24 hours with out weapons for some clock related screw up?

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Microsoft product has software flaw. There's a first!