First Snow

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

First Snow

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm

First snow of the new season here in central Iowa. Very inconvenient in view of the fact that my younger son talked us into tearing off the old and rather battered front deck and replacing it with a new, larger one. Our house was very typical of new "country places" 25 years ago, a so-called "walkout ranch"; but all the new homes are huge, spacious caverns of many roofs and gables. I always think you'd need a staff just to keep up with the cleaning. On the other hand, I don't have room for a "shop" space, so my junk is all over the place.

I like the way these shots turned out, not so much composition-wise but because many of them are practically monochromatic, occasionally with just a surprising little splash of color here and there.

The horses care little about the rigors of winter, as long as they have a pad of hay thrown out for them every couple of hours. If it's not too windy, they sometimes like to play in the snow, even lying down to roll around in it. These guys spend their nights indoors, in the new, well-insulated metal barn. It isn't really cold yet (just below freezing in the daytime) and their winter coats are growing in nicely. So before long, they will both have a rather dull, fuzzy look. Then in the spring, the winter hair sheds off in handfuls, and then you know winter's really over.

Enjoy!

L Cottrill
Attachments
First_snow_01_med.jpg
Photo Copyright 2008 Larry Cottrill
First_snow_02_med.jpg
First_snow_03_med.jpg
First_snow_04_med.jpg
First_snow_05_med.jpg
First_snow_06med.jpg
First_snow_front_deck_med.jpg
The famous Front Deck Project, in progress. Ha. Photo Copyright 2008 Larry Cottrill
Friends_with_long_faces_med.jpg
Friends with long faces. Or, maybe, strange visitors from another planet.
Bold_Ariel_med.jpg
Ariel, 2-year-old Arabian gelding. Photo Copyright 2008 Larry Cottrill
Shy_Shiloh_med.jpg
Shiloh, 4-year-old Arabian mare. Photo Copyright 2008 Larry Cottrill