Strange spooky circles

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Sebastian LFT

Strange spooky circles

Post by Sebastian LFT » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Well, not really. Visiting a near by park in Perkasie Pa as a kid I always wondered about this paved circle. Not until recently did I discover that it was a 67 foot dia. tether circle track. It hasn't been used in years and appears to have only two spots needing repair. A spot of weeding would do it good too. :mrgreen:
Attachments
tether circle track.wmv
(2 MiB) Downloaded 669 times
You'll never know 'till you try it.

pezman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Strange spooky circles

Post by pezman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Cool! I'll need to take a peek at that film when I get home, but I'm vaguely remembering (?) that that is from Lenape Park (do I recall the name correctly?) -- near where the Little League practice field were (are?) -- on the same street as the Dairy Queen, only headed towards Sellersville ... I guess that a Landis supermarket is now across the street from the location that I have in mind ...

I went through a control-line airplane phase back in the day and it never even occurred to me that those circles were for that purpose. We would generally just hand-launch and crash w/in 30 seconds or so ...

pezman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by pezman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 am

Sebastian LFT

Post by Sebastian LFT » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:02 am

Is this the circle?
You got it pezman! The same spot where they do the fireworks every summer. I had always assumed it was a paved circle for pony rides or something considering there used to be an amusement park there. The old carousel is still on top of the hill on 3rd and Park. I work not to far from there on 4th. Between Park and Spruce.

A friend had mentioned talking to an older gentlemen and that circle came up. Apparently there was a local club that used it waaay back in the day. I took a measurement of it and did a quick search on track specks. Sure enough, it was 67 feet in diameter.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old picture of it in action.
You'll never know 'till you try it.