New jetZILLA - Some Topics Ready ... I Think ...

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

New jetZILLA - Some Topics Ready ... I Think ...

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 am

For anyone who still cares, visit http://www.jetzilla.com and scroll down to the list of topics that I strongly imply will become future links, then click on the first one, labeled "Everyman's Jet Engine" - Why Valveless Pulsejets?. Have a read and let me know what you think -- let me know where my grammar has slipped, etc. and FOR SURE let me know where I'm just lying through my teeth. Please try at least a few of the subtopic links if you have time. All comments, observations and opinions welcome!

L Cottrill

GRIM

Re: New jetZILLA - Some Topics Ready ... I Think ...

Post by GRIM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Larry
Looking good , on the main page, you need to re-do the text above and below the video of vern , you say the video "you have watched" before the video, then you say it took a few hours to built this engine , then later on say it took a couple of weeks to build ,

looking good , get them links working

joe

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Grim -

Yes, I had forgotten that I had experimented with a different link to a completely different video on the top one -- just discovered it was blown about an hour ago. The lesson to be learned is to look again at EVERYTHING on the page before you ftp it up. I hate it when that happens. Should be able to get it corrected tonight, when I can get back onto a system I can ftp from.

What I say is "a few hours of spare time" and "a couple of weeks of spare time", which in US English are perfectly equivalent phrases, since it is naturally understood that in the former case you are referring to the actual hours of work and in the latter case the overall elapsed time in which the spare time is assumed to be contained. Perhaps this is too loose a usage for other English-speaking peoples ;-) One of the freakish realities of human languages is that they do not obey the rules of context-free grammars. I'll try to think of a verbally suitable substitute (maybe change "a few hours of spare time" to "a few hours of shop work").

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm after. What did you think of the little pages behind the subtopic links?

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 pm

OK, I fixed up the problems pointed out by Grim, and added the second topic == see the link titled "THE NUMBER 1 ABSOLUTE BEST SUCCESS TIP FOR BEGINNERS!"

Let me know what you think, guys.
http://www.jetzilla.com

L Cottrill

Chadly33

Post by Chadly33 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Great work Larry, Keep it up ! :D
Bribie Islands resident mad scientist!http://www.geocities.com/ozpulse@y7mail ... 5835711956

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Looks good Larry,

Under the tips for beginners, you may want to say something other than "beginners just don't have any really good ideas". That may dampen the spirits of new enthusiasts. Maybe something about "beginners provide few beneficial ideas, due to lack of experience" Other than that, looks spot on.

Joe

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Larry, I tend to agree with Joe , whilst it is clear that you are NOT implying that “beginners don’t have a clue etc “ might be better to just eliminate the phrase,

I like the first golden rule for a successful first engine, good advice,

You could be the first to actually get, on one easily accessed page, everything a beginner needs to know to be able to get a basic engine up and running ,

Gas setup and simple injectors,
Practical and reliable ignition systems,
With some good clear descriptions and photos, you got a winner. good work,

Of course all this information is here on the forum, you just got to have a couple of year’s spare time to be able to find it, lol

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:43 am

I have the first couple of theory papers blocked out. You can click on the newest link on the jetZILLA home page, or just go here:
http://www.jetzilla.com/topic_003.html

There is a LOT more to do, and this stuff is some pretty hard slogging. I've already found a couple of mistakes in the text that I'll need to correct. However, I'll appreciate a look by anybody who wants to actually read through it all, see how the graphics work (or don't) and so on. The "links" to the next future section, called "Power To the Masses!" are just pseudo-links right now. That section will take some very careful writing and a lot of diagramming -- I've thought of using animation for some of it, but don't know if I will because of the time and effort it would take and because that won't allow the document to translate well to a PDF format for publication.

There is a weird anomaly I found in my browser at home: The JPEGs appear "muddy" so that the line clarity is very bad. What's weird about it is that when I open my LOCAL copy of the html with the browser, they're quite clear; but when I open the actual Web pages, they're horrible. Here at work, though, they look crystal clear, just like the original bitmap images from UFLOW (viewing them on the Web, I mean). I have no idea what the problem is -- hopefully, just some problem with my own browser. Utterly silly that there should be such a problem.

Anyway, see what you think -- watch for those mistakes! There could even be more. Ha. Remember, this is supposed to be beginner level stuff -- I need to know if it in any way fails to work at that level!

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm

good read, Larry. Well done.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 am

Thank you, sir!

More to come ... someday ... someday ...

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58 am

The newest theory section is ready (I think), Power To the Masses!.

Go here:
http://www.jetzilla.com/topic_003_03.html

Remember ... you'll never get back the time you spend going through this. Don't complain to me that you weren't warned ;-)

L Cottrill