Finally a more-or-less realistic backpack flying machine

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Finally a more-or-less realistic backpack flying machine

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Now that is awesome bruno,
Something I could see myself aspiring to get one day! Do you personally think it might just be the first real marketable jetpack?
Nice find bruno, its in my book under "Things to do before my death...and might inadvertently cause it."

I freaking love it.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Well, as I already wrote under the topic that Bill has opened on the same machine (under 'Jet Vehicles'), I think it's a bit of overkill. I think a backpack helicopter with a coaxial counter-rotating rotor and a smaller, 50-100 HP Wankel engine would be a better bet. Probably safer, too. I have no idea how the Martin guys plan to handle the imbalance caused by one of the props breaking down, for instance.

I can think of several ways to make the thing better without making it into a helicopter, too. One would be to use a turbofan engine instead of a 2-stroke piston engine turning geared props. That's what Bell did 40 or 50 years ago and that's what should be done today, only with a much better turbofan than the one they were forced to use back then. In the intervening decades, jet engine design has made huge advances. I'd use a very high bypass ratio for the turbofan, to get low flow speed and high flow rate, so that it works well for lift, rather than speed, which is irrelevant in this application.

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Or you could use twin pulse jets and really good ear muffs!
Which of course has sort of been done before.
Which of course is long way into the..."Things to do before my death...and might inadvertently cause it" zone.
The Pack was built here in my home town -and small jet turbines ( just about any other suitable engine for
that matter ) are just WAY WAY too expensive!
Still mondo cool !

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 pm

When I recieve my check for the yet to be anounced winning lot (I totally have a system!), I'll build one that will pwn this thing into oblivion. A PROPER jet pack. That being said, I still want one. :wink:
Quantify the world.