Can anyone translate this French?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Can anyone translate this French?

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:55 pm

see attached. I will gladly give a Laurel and Hardy handshake to the intrepid translator!
Attachments
gs1_french_196.jpg
gs1_french_196.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

A French Schmidt?

Post by Viv » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:36 pm

This sounds like the descriptive text for the SNECMA live rotor test picture we had posted a few years back (maybe by Bruno?), its another in the series of derivatives of Paul Schmidt's original ideas.

I am pretty sure I have read the full patent description for this but cant at the moment remember what one it was, I will let you know if I find it as it is in French and an English USPTO version.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:45 pm

yes, it is that rotor.
Attachments
gs1_171.jpg
gs1_171.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 8708 times

Viv

Yep one of ours

Post by Viv » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Here you go mike, this is the reference I was thinking of

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/files/ ... on_133.doc

see also

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... 293.0;wap2

There is an official English version already knocking around some were for this configuration mike as I have read it, maybe Simon has it?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:13 pm

this is what a translation program got me. grammar is non excistant, but you should be able to make out the main story with it

"tried in 1958 by the corporation reverchon on a bench helicoptere experimental designe remicopter x. 50. the turning pulso g s 1 that has equiper this helicoptere behaves: a combustion central unique chamre with two detecteurs and two groups of convergent ones of tuyere, two groups of two tuyeres of ejection diametralement opposees

These tuyeres are able couliser in the final party for eviter that the centrifugal efforts do not pass in the hot parties of the rooms. The tuyeres finish by a comb of 8 pipes coudlees on every blade one has prevu in addition: Two canals of dilution increasing the air quantite passing in the detecteurs a carenage in alloy leger allowing obtaining a couple motor net more student has haunt regime (couple to the point sets up 140 Mr. kg).

The overall caracteristiques are: power max has 312 tr/mm 130 ch consumption specifique 1.35 kg/ch/o'clock total mass 75 kg diametere of the rotor 5200
mm

The assais to the bench with reverchon in 1958 demontrent the viabilie of the systeme of propulsion, malgre the level of noise enough eleve. For lack of credits and of market, this experimentation is abandond
Last edited by metiz on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantify the world.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:14 pm

That doc file was done with babelfish by Mikhail. some is unintelligible. Like:

The overall characteristics are:
- Maximum power with 312 rpm 130 ch
- Specific consumption 1,35 kg/ch/h
- Total mass 75 kg
- Diameter of the rotor 5200 mm

What is a ch? Copter-Hour? ha

tufty

Post by tufty » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 pm

I don't have the original translation, but here's a quick 'n' dirty. All errors mine. YMMV. IANAL. Value of investments in the stock market may go down as well as down. etc.

Tested in 1958 by the company "Reverchon" on an experimental helicopter test bed named "Remicopter X.50". The rotating pulse jet "G S 1" which equipped this helicopter consisted of:
- One central combustion chamber with 2 "detectors"[1] and 2 groups of converging tubes
- 2 groups of 2 tailpipes, diametrically opposed.

These tailpipes were a sliding fit to stop the centrifugal forces acting on the hot parts of the chambers[2]. The tailpipes terminated with 8 "elbow" nozzles on each arm. We also provided for:

- 2 dilution channels to augment the quantity of air passing through teh detectors
- a streamlining made from lightweight alloy allowing us to obtain more torque at high speeds. static torque was 140m kg

Final characteristics:
- maximum power at 312 rpm : 130 ch
- SFC : 1.35 kg/ch/h
- total mass : 75kg
- rotor diameter : 5,200mm

Bench tests at Reverchon in 1958 demonstrated the viability of this system of propulsion, despite the high noise levels. Due to lack of further funding, the experiment was abandoned.

Simon

[1] "detector" was Snecma's term for a valveless intake. Go figure. Wacky frenchmen.
Last edited by tufty on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tufty

Post by tufty » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:19 pm

oh, "ch" is "chevaux", or "horses". i.e. Bhp.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Thank you, Simon. I was hoping you'd chime in. 140 m-Kg of torque. my, my

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:56 pm

What I find of particular interest here is the rotor. It has no articulation, no hinge at the hub or anything like that. Not very good if it was meant to fly.

So, it was obviously built to test the assembly as an engine, rather than as a lifting rotor. But, if so, why was it aerodynamically profiled to generate lift? It doesn't quite add up.

I'd like to see it as a VTOL craft. Fire up, ascend vertically, rotate one rotor arm by 180 degrees to turn the rotor into a high-aspect fixed wing (with integral jet engine) and fly as a jet plane. Slow down, rotate one 'wing' back by 180 degrees to turn the wing back into a rotor and descend vertically in auto-rotation.

In vertical flight the lack of articulation and pitch change wouldn't matter.

Viv

Separate rotor

Post by Viv » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi Bruno

No it was configured as a power blade in effect and the flight rotor would have been a separate assembly ether above the engine blade or below it.

The troublesome hinges and paraphernalia would have been safely kept out of harms way and at 90% to the engine blade

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Re: Separate rotor

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:53 pm

Viv wrote:Hi Bruno

No it was configured as a power blade in effect and the flight rotor would have been a separate assembly ether above the engine blade or below it.

The troublesome hinges and paraphernalia would have been safely kept out of harms way and at 90% to the engine blade

Viv
Bingo! Not that I knew that, but it's how I would do a heli drive. Add a one way clutch so if you do go into auto-rotate, you're not having the drag of this power unit.

5m diameter and only 130 hp, though, that wasn't so good.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Though at only 75Kg, 130 hp sounds a little better.

Viv

Reduced diameter

Post by Viv » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi Mike

A reduced diameter means a lower incidence velocity change on the tailpipes due to forward flight and the rotation of the engines, SNECMA were smarter than some in working that one out before it could become a problem.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Separate rotor

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Viv wrote:Hi Bruno

Viv
Interesting. Similar to the Pegg-Makowski thingy then, only much more sophisticated. (Stands to reason, right? They were French, after all...)

Boy, those Frenchies must have had some fun testing the thing... Wish I was there.