Metal/spring problem?!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Esser

Metal/spring problem?!

Post by Esser » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi. I have a pretty big problem...
I have a pretty small spring from an airsoft gun, wich i heated with a gasburner so that i could stretch it...
The problems is that the spring is now very soft! It's very very easy to bend out of shape, and it does a very poor job of a spring.
Why is that? And what should i do to make it go back to the hardness it was before?
Before i did it, the spring was shinny, but now it's dull...

A magnet can stick to the materials, wich i guess means it isn't aluminum. So i can't anodize it...

heada
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by heada » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:54 pm

DISCLAIMER: This is what I have done for high-carbon steel. I have not done this for very thin metals like springs and so it may not work or it may not have the desired outcome.

What you have done is annealed the iron. What you now need to do is harden the iron. What you should do is heat the spring to the same temp that you used to anneal it (red or nearly so) and then quench it in water. It will now be hard but it will actually be too hard and brittle. This is glass hard. You now need to soften it some. Heat it again but only until you start to see the metal turn a gold or straw. Once the straw color shows up, quench it in water again. You should now have a properly hardened iron.

-Aaron

Esser

Post by Esser » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:39 pm

heada wrote:DISCLAIMER: This is what I have done for high-carbon steel. I have not done this for very thin metals like springs and so it may not work or it may not have the desired outcome.

What you have done is annealed the iron. What you now need to do is harden the iron. What you should do is heat the spring to the same temp that you used to anneal it (red or nearly so) and then quench it in water. It will now be hard but it will actually be too hard and brittle. This is glass hard. You now need to soften it some. Heat it again but only until you start to see the metal turn a gold or straw. Once the straw color shows up, quench it in water again. You should now have a properly hardened iron.

-Aaron
Thank you :-) I will give it a try. It can't really hurt it more :P

El-Kablooey
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 am

an easy way to temper after hardening is to use your kitchen oven. You only need to heat it to 400f or so for a good spring temper.