Projection screen for Cuban Missile Crisis

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Projection screen for Cuban Missile Crisis

Post by dynajetjerry » Sat May 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi, Gang,

I just learned there is going to be a telecast of PBS's "History Detectives" on June 25, at 9 PM. They researched the silvered, 3D screen that was used to show to President Kennedy the stereoscopic images of the missile sites during their construction in Cuba. Those images convinced the Pres. of the appropriateness of his actions: blockading of Cuba.

That screen was owned and used by the Dayton Stereo Camera Club at the time (I joined that group a few years later.) Then-Col. George Goddard led the technicians who developed the airborne camera (K-18A,) at Wright-Patt in the 1940s. They also developed the system that was essential for projecting polarized images onto a silvered surface so that the polarization was preserved without degradation of the 3D images.
This set-up was used many times to prove its validity, though it never became a standard. I have 2 spools of the 9 1/2 in. wide film that were exposed over the western U. S., for testing purposes, and over cities in Germany, during 1945, showing their total destruction.

During the above crisis, now-Gen. Goddard suggested to the CIA that they employ "his" strip camera in a supersonic F-101 to obtain irrefutable evidence of the build-up in Cuba. This was done but the "Realist Silvrscreen" (sic) in D. C. was, at 9 ft. X 9 ft., much too large to carry to the White House. Therefore, Gen. Goddard phoned one of his Dayton friends, Carl Balcomb, and asked him to come to D. C. with our 6 ft. screen. The CIA met Carl at Area C of Wright-Patt and flew him to D. C. and back home. (I think Carl worked with Goddard as a polarized light expert, during the development of the 3D system. He may also have been affiliated with Polaroid-Land Corp.)

The pertinent camera and projector are in the National Museum of the U. S. Air Force in Dayton but are no longer on public display; the Museum never had custody of the screen, which is now in a 3D museum in Portland, OR. Unfortunately, the NMUSAF has no plans to benefit from the above TV production by simultaneously displaying the photo equipment, even though I suggested it. I am sure both the local PBS affiliate and the Museum would have benefitted.

I will watch the documentary, if only to see how accurately their coverage agrees with what I've been told by members of the Dayton Club over the years, and by Carl, as well as what is written in Gen. Goddard's 1979 autobiography, "Overview."

Catch it, if you are interested.

Jerry
Louder is always better.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 pm

Faaaascinating. I'll check it out, thanks.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.