2nd Pulse-Jet Enthusiasts' Meet, FRG, 2007-05-17

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

2nd Pulse-Jet Enthusiasts' Meet, FRG, 2007-05-17

Post by mk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Hello folks!

If anybody is interested in R/C flying of pulse-jet and model turbine powered aircrafts, I would recommend to think about visiting eastern Germany in the end of May 2007. To be more exact: Rothenburg (postal code: 02929) in Saxony, near the Polish-German border. About 180 km south of Berlin, 80 km east of Dresden, and 30 km north of Goerlitz.

Which means, I just read the announcement of the 2nd edition of the "Days of Thunder" event. The latter took place the in 2006 in Rothenburg the first time, and will do so again from 2007-05-17 to 2007-05-20.

Furthermore it is stated (plese compare to the stated link below) that static runs of pulse jets will be possible again.

Due there is some time left, and it is in the semester, I am planning to attend one day. Probably the 18th or 19th. Well see.

Official link (in German only):
http://www.pulsotriebwerk.de/programm.html

------------

Note to moderators: In advance, could we make this a sticky until the end of May?
mk

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Days of Thunder, 2007

Post by milisavljevic » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:11 pm

Hello Marten --

Very cool! I wonder if there is any chance that you will conduct additional K-PT 07X-2 static tests during this time?

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

mk

Post by mk » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Definitely. Taking it with me is not much of a problem, and I planned to do so. But it is in question whether I can do some changes to the injector till then or not. From memory: Starting has not been as easy as it should.
mk

cliff

The VooDoo Pulsejet team is there !!!

Post by cliff » Sun May 06, 2007 9:50 am

Our new VD-001 is ready to rock and roll..

We will launch it from a ramp.

Irvine.J

*drooling*

Post by Irvine.J » Sun May 06, 2007 11:29 am

Sick...
That looks... "Badass" lol
Excellent job cliff, look foward to that video! how about some shots of earth from the moon :D I like it verrrry much
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

mk

Post by mk » Thu May 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey folks!

So I have been to Rothenburg on Friday, 2007-05-18. It definitely was a funny and interesting time again.

It appears like the whole event was organized more professional than last year, so at least I hope this is going to continue in one or the other way. So that the "Days of Thunder" event becomes a reasonable adress in Europe regarding pulse-jets and high speed RC flying once per year.

While the weather was just perfect, and without knowing how many people came to Rothenburg on Saturday, most of the guys around were well known from 2006. Of course, some were not there, while other ones got hooked in advance.
Thus, besides seing RC-planes fly (and unfortunately seeing one crash), some good talks were held. From my side, respectively, with two guys from Netherlands -- there were quite some more guys from the Netherlands there -- and one from Bavaria.

Seemingly the guy from Bavaria also was more interested in pulse-jets than in flying. Somewhat differing from my perspectives and main interests, he put up some interesting points, demonstrated a "simple-in-construction" Schmidt-tube -- which actually did not deliver much thrust and was not tuned well either, but he was just as lucky as Rossco always seemed to be (! -- successfully. Furthermore he brought some kind of finally methanol-fueled ramjet-pressure-jet development back from his university days with him. Quite interesting to note, that a friend and he developed this engine from relatively basic and some simple physical approaches, and this without knowing of the Gluhareff engine. He said it would not deliver a hell of a lot of thrust, but they were quite pleased with the outcome. In Rothenburg he did not demonstrate it. I wonder when he ran it last time, but guess it dates back a couple of years.
An interesting note aside: Without having read stuff on the forum here (a lot?) he put up a lot of points supporting the findings of Viv and Luc, which they posted under the long "Gluhareff thrust failure" topic some time ago. Interesting!

Yeah, and after being the only one with valveless pulse-jet engine in 2006, the guys from Netherlands, which I mentioned above, brought a big Hiller-Lockwood engine with them. They had to split it apart to get in the trunk of a VW trunk. Funny!
You may remember the Sundhovic layout which is the largest amateur one around, which I know of that runs in "classical" Hiller-Lockwood shape -- their layout was similar but not identic. A OCF of somewhat below 60 Hz was just shaking. While they obviously had trouble with interfering frequencies of the fishscale-sled-arrangement and the OCF of the engine (excitement), a thrust read of about 25 kgf was made. Of course the size would support more. They fueld it with a kerosene-petrol mixture after starting on propane. Single remark: Pressurizing fuel with compressed air would be a no-go for me.

Okay then, enjoy the pictures and read about the K-PT 07X-2 tests I made in the Valveless Forum.
Attachments
rothenburg_4.png
Big Hiller-Lockwood-shaped pulse-jet of the two guys from the Netherlands. Picture just fails to show the amount of yellow flames ejected.
rothenburg_4.png (213.63 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
rothenburg_3.png
Similarily constucted early-days Schmidt-tube.
rothenburg_3.png (220.14 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
rothenburg_2.png
K-PT 07X-2 prototype after the runs.
rothenburg_2.png (212.91 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
rothenburg_1.png
K-PT 07X-2 ready to go.
rothenburg_1.png (202.25 KiB) Viewed 10852 times
rothenburg_7.png
Just before leaving -- in the evening.
rothenburg_7.png (152.59 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
rothenburg_6.png
Areal for static demonstrations.
rothenburg_6.png (193.17 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
rothenburg_5.png
View from entrance towards the site.
rothenburg_5.png (162.4 KiB) Viewed 10853 times
mk

milisavljevic

Re: Rothenburg

Post by milisavljevic » Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 am

Hello Marten!

Thank you for the update! Please let us know if and when the website for "Days of Thunder" is updated
with the latest photographs; I really want to check out the newest H/W developments / aircraft designs.

Btw., I made a post on the Valveless Pulsejet forum with an analysis of your latest K-PT 07X-2 test data.

Cheers!
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.

mk

Post by mk » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:05 pm

The official webpage has been updated with pictures of the event.
mk

milisavljevic

Re: Rothenburg

Post by milisavljevic » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello Marten!

Thanks for the info! Time to redirect my browser... =)

Cheers,
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.