Ten Thousand Photos In Nine Minutes

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 pm

A YouTube find - interesting if you can stand to watch it - street scenes, people, wineries & vineyards, restaurants, art, people, dog, cat, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3FdlxMiZHM

L Cottrill

heada

10k photos in 9 mins

Post by heada » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Thats 540 seconds (assuming all 9 minutes is used to show the photos) to show 10,000 photos....meaning 18.5 photos per second...or about 1 photo per 2 frames of video (assuming 30 frames per second, which is about normal broadcast frame rate in the US) Most people have problems with lights that flicker at less than 25 Hz so I can imagine a video of images where the images that change every 2 frames would drive most people insane (or give them a headache)

It would be interesting to see how many people can actually identify more than 10% of the photos that were displayed.

-Aaron

larry cottrill

10k photos in 9 mins

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Well, of course, I can't independently verify that there were really 10,000 pictures ... after a couple of seconds, I stopped counting ;-)

Actually, it's amazing how many of the images I remember "in essence" - that is, not really a photographic memory but a mental image that remains. It's funny how little time it takes to make an impression - even if it's replaced a split second later by the next image. Some of it depends, I think, on what images strike you as naturally interesting - sort of your innate "artist's eye" for a subject or theme.

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:04 am

Off this topic, but I find it interesting that the light shining through movie film flashes twice per frame. Neat way to reduce flicker.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hagent

10000 photos

Post by hagent » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:15 am

Wow. You can't blink or this movie just doesn't make any sense.

Must have had a bad sex life.... lol "Honey stop taking pictures and come to bed!"
Hagen Tannberg

larry cottrill

Re: Ten Thousand Photos In Nine Minutes

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:58 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Off this topic, but I find it interesting that the light shining through movie film flashes twice per frame. Neat way to reduce flicker.
Actually, on a professional projector it's often three or five exposures per frame. In the early days (one shot of light per frame), movies were commonly dubbed 'flicker pictures', which became shortened to 'flicks'. Now you know.

Perception of flicker is highly subjective, and varies a lot with the nature of the scene. When I first saw Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey on the big screen in 1968, I was bothered by the noticeable flicker of all the scenes that were basically long shots of objects in space - in other words, scenes that were mostly black with small areas of bright white. It's the only time I've ever noticed flicker in a big screen projection setting.

On all projectors that I've ever seen (which is not that many), this is produced by pie-slice-shaped openings in a spinning metal disk just behind the film gate that revolves once per frame. This is how it was in the European Super-8 projector I used to use. That turned out to be a handy feature: When I needed a one-pulse-per-frame sync signal for my Super 8 Sound(TM) recorder, I just glued a small magnet to the disk and rigged a magnetic reed switch where the magnet would pass close by - voila! A perfect sync signal at whatever speed the projector chose to run at any particular moment.

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Re: Ten Thousand Photos In Nine Minutes

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:41 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:I just glued a small magnet to the disk and rigged a magnetic reed switch where the magnet would pass close by - voila! A perfect sync signal at whatever speed the projector chose to run at any particular moment.

L Cottrill
Nice. I once converted a Christie movie projector to run up to 60 fps at either 4, 3 or 2 perf frames.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxivision

You should have seen the demo film we made, 48 fps 3-perf. We did the same scene in 4 perf 24 fps, then the projector would automatically switch to 48x3 and the detail and motion were stunning.

My friend Dean Goodhill couldn't get this off the ground, and it looks as if digital projection will make it a moot point.

Cool stuff. I was hoping he'd get that business going, because I was hoping to design a projector from the ground up using a new type of transport I developed. Alas...
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.