Turbojet Bike

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Turbojet Bike

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:13 pm

No technical data, but fun to see. Turbo (undoubtedly freepower setup) using a Bell Ranger engine, I think he said:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/ind ... idID=39175

Just click on the link and let the video run. After a moment for some preliminaries, you'll see it. If I had found any tech specs, I'd have posted it on the Turbo forum. As it is, it's just a nice build that might be of general interest.

L Cottrill

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Naw thats the Y2K bike, shaft powered from a helicopter engine (axial?), though the exhaust temp is 1200 F and melts the bump of a tailgater!

Most expensive bike you can get thats not a cutom job, also the fastest
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

larry cottrill

Re: Turbojet Bike

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 pm

Well ,yes, the Bell Ranger is a helicopter. I was supposed to fly the military version of that machine back in 1968, but washed out of basic training with flat feet. I would have been a Warrant Officer; all the other guys I knew in my outfit made it all the way through flight training. I have never found out which ones made it through the war, or didn't. Virtually all Warrant Officer Flight guys were sent to Viet Nam in those days.

Sorry, I thought the bike was something really unusual. I had certainly never seen such a thing, though it's perfectly logical in its way. I had a friend whose idiot brother was asking me about designing a jet powered bike back in about 1977. Of course, I had a valved pulsejet in mind and nothing ever came of it. I couldn't have begun to design the engine properly in those days, anyway, of course. And, pure thrust propulsion (sans shaft power) would be ludicrous for such a project.

L Cottrill

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Well the turbine bike is pretty cool, they hit well over 250 mph on a runway and the turbine keeps going for about a second and a half after you let off the gas, gotta do some preemptive clutching!

I think the bikes are just under 200k each, if you ever wanna buy one :)

They may look like sport bikes but donnot handle like one, careful on the turns!

http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp

Some company is making a turbine big rig truck, they say the avg diesel big rig can goo 500 hours between big services avging 55 mph. The turbine prototype big rig runs 9000 hours between services, at 55 mph avg that is just under 500,000 miles between engine services!!! It is also supposed to get the same gas milage b/c a jet that size can be triple spooled to a comrpession of 50:1 which makes up for it having to rev higher than a diesel. They also claim that at 500 shaft hp it makes well over 1200 ft/lbs of torque (or was torque technically lb/ft?).

Cars prolly wont be made from turbines, as they have to spin near redline to be most efficient and that would be great if we only drove the freeways...but stop and go is a part of city life and a turbine car wouldn't get much better than 5 miles to the gallon for the avg person...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!