Nomenclature: pulsejet vs ramjet (Was V1 Clone)

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

cudabean

Nomenclature: pulsejet vs ramjet (Was V1 Clone)

Post by cudabean » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 am

I recall reading somewhere that the brits often used the term ramjet to refer to a plusejet. Can anybody else corroborate?

Marlin

Hank
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Nomenclature: pulsejet vs ramjet (Was V1 Clone)

Post by Hank » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:52 am

If you can citation the source where you read this I'd appreciate it. Several sources, both printed text and visual media, recently, have done the same misnomer. They are two seperate engine types with different operating requirements.

Anders Troberg

Post by Anders Troberg » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:49 am

I think it's a misunderstanding rather than a different nomenclature. I doubt anyone who knows what they are talking about would use that nomenclature.

I've seen the V1 mentioned as powered by a ramjet in a computer game (Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron, don't remember which).

Jonny69

Post by Jonny69 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:49 pm

I think it's a misunderstanding on their part. All the old greybeards know the difference between ramjets and pulsejets as they were popular toys in the 50's and 60's. Most people call my jets rockets anyway.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 pm

This topic is amusingly coincidental, since I happened to have just viewed one of my favorite classic films The High and the Mighty (yes, the 1954 John Wayne epic) - and there is a launch of a V-1 clone in there that I had completely forgotten about. A couple of interesting things about the scene were: The use of standard JATO rockets; AND the sound was dubbed from the takeoff of a fighter jet or some such - no pulsejet sound at all, even though that's obviously what it was!!! Is it possible that by 1954 they thought no one would believe a missile would sound like that? That would be hilarious when you consider that there were still thousands of people in the world who had witnessed the original V-1 in action.

L Cottrill

Hank

Post by Hank » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:19 am

Hello- Yes, Larry, Hollywood has been known to stretch the facts a bit in order to awe the masses. A Century Series engine in afterburner sounds a bit more impressive then the Argus.

I've been searching Steam lately. (That convective burner I ran in an article in your mag has developed.) For reference to another bloke that don't know the diff between Ram and Pulse see Plan 116 :

http://www.metalwebnews.com/poorman/poorman-steam.html

Regards

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:05 pm

what i like is when the history channel refers to both ramjets and pulsejets, then states that this prototype plane [german and japanese] will run off of ramjets like the ones used in the v-1!

pretty much they know the difference, they describe how the pj works and how the ramjet works...

and, as i have been told by others in the forum, the v-1 could not sustain ram operation, so it was in no way shape or form a ramjet.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

lahma
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Nomenclature: pulsejet vs ramjet (Was V1 Clone)

Post by lahma » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:21 am

I don't know if there is much sense in replying to a topic from 2006, but I just thought I would add a reference for others looking into this topic. When watching a documentary about the V-1 recently, I noticed it being incorrectly referred to as a ramjet.

On Youtube, the title of the documentary is labeled as:
"Heroes and Weapons of WWII - Rockets"

The incorrect reference can be found at 9:15:
"the motor fell away and a ramjet took over"

Valid URL to the documentary at the time of this posting:
https://youtu.be/sY6hTXrpcFQ

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Nomenclature: pulsejet vs ramjet (Was V1 Clone)

Post by metiz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:03 pm

When the forum is as dead as this one, any post is apreciated. Thanks for the reference!
Quantify the world.