World Jump Day

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

World Jump Day

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Here's something I'm sure you'll all want to get in on:

http://www.venehammerschlag.com/worldjumpday/

This is your chance to change the earth's miserable condition forever. I say, go for it!

"Don't all jump at once ..." ha ha

----------

Seriously, though, considering how much has been made of global warming, etc., and the state of public education, it is pretty easy to see how people might lose sight of how big the planet really is. Or, perhaps, how little of the laws of physics are commonly understood.

I calculated one time that if the earth were the size of a basketball, Mount Everest would rise to the dizzying height of .003 inch above mean sea level. Verification of this figure will be left as an exercise for the reader.

L Cottrill

steve

re: World Jump Day

Post by steve » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:25 pm

jump day was a running joke in our high school physics class, though I'd forgotten it untill now!

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:00 pm

As for global warming, the definite proof that it is really taking place has arrived:
Attachments
global-warming.jpg
global-warming.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 12653 times

Stuart

Re: World Jump Day

Post by Stuart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote: I calculated one time that if the earth were the size of a basketball, Mount Everest would rise to the dizzying height of .003 inch above mean sea level. Verification of this figure will be left as an exercise for the reader.

L Cottrill
That was always my problem with the global warming nuts (not that global warming might not be very real). We have trouble even figuring out the fluid dynamics and heat flow of our crummy pulsejets, or Boeing with a 747, now expand the problem worldwide and calculate temperature differences of half a degree. Sorry, but I remain sceptical of the numbers being thrown around based even on the latest calculations.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:17 pm

I have never understood all the attention global warming gets. It is pretty obvious that our planet has been through many cycles of hot weather and then ice ages. We are simply on a warming trend this million years.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

mk

Post by mk » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:30 am

Stuart wrote:[...] bolt a p-jet onto some wings.
As a matter of fact, I for one would bolt them under "some wings".
Ben wrote: Oh good, a new thread for infuriating ignorance. [...]
Sadly true enough.
mk

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: World Jump Day

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:48 pm

Ben wrote:Oh good, a new thread for infuriating ignorance.
Please consider myself excepted. I am the only one to have offered incontrovertible scientific proof derived from observation of actual natural events and reproducible experimental results.

pezman

Post by pezman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:55 pm

An interesting twist on the theme can be found in the comments on this page:

http://www.kottke.org/remainder/05/02/7692.html

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:10 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Ben wrote:Oh good, a new thread for infuriating ignorance.
Please consider myself excepted. I am the only one to have offered incontrovertible scientific proof derived from observation of actual natural events and reproducible experimental results.

LOL. Good one, Bruno.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:57 pm

I've seen this before, now, if the mass of so many billions of people were enough to actually change the orbit of earth, wouldn't, while they jumped up, draw the earth towards them just as much as they pushed it? (that "estimation" had no proof behind it, so If I totally screwed up, well, you know why)

PS: just out of curiousity, I've always wondered, what are some facts about global warming? I don't really think it exists mainly because any report on it contains no real data, perhaps you could change that Ben. :wink:

Now if we DID off set the earth, such as they "predicted" on that site, we would durasticly change the weather and possibly kill ourselves off, then we'd be worrying about global cooling. :roll:
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

mk

Post by mk » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:49 am

Some million people jumping cannot cause a change in orbit.
Assumed the earth being our system of referrence, the people being concentrated unhealthy of some smallish area and jumping perfectly radially at the same time within a fraction of a second:

(1.) Mass of the people is neglible in comparison to the earth's one is neglible. That's important in the means of effects of inertia and the corelated forces demanded.

(2.) I doubt anyone will exceed one meter, while most of the people may be in a range up to .5 meters. When jumped without some aid features and from rest.

(3.) Because of the above all wheather and Coriolis force affects can be neglected as well. E.g. when having ideal wheather conditions (no wheather at all then) throwing a stone up to some 10 m will alter its landing position by roughly 5 mm West regardless of being on the southern or northern hemisphere. Without a need to get ashamed we can also neglect the effects of zentrifugal forces. The difference in "g" is about: g(pol) - g(equ) = 0.051 ms^-2.
As you can see any athmospheric affect has a larger impact on the "jumpers" as the Coriolis and/or zentrifugal forces would have.
Just to get the wind out of sombodies sails.

(4.) Newton's famous law of actio = reactio and the classic laws of conservation of momentum and energy need to be applied. Relativistic effects of course are irrelevant, also due to the above mentioned.
Therefore and because of the above, momentum vectors can be set onedimensional to: I(0) + I(1) = 0 or I(0) = -I(1) with the velocity dependency E(pot) + E(kin) = 0 (negative hight due to falling part of the process) or -E(pot) = E(kin).

(5.) The energy demanded foreach jump is provided by chemical energy of each body. Then it is transfered to heat and kinetic energy, what sets each persons height of jump. At landing the kinetic energy is transfered to heat and energy of deformation (or some more splits).

Perhaps sooner or later someone should start a "world jogging/running on the same place day" to change the earths frequency of rotation...

And maybe someone having the necessary data -- it would cost me quite some time to dig for the necessary stuff -- around could calculate the difference in earth orbit needed to achieve the same effect as global warming?
That might make for some argument.

Besides global warming, one should also be afraid of the wrong people sitting next to red buttons which should not exist anyway.
But wait a minute, what's with an atomic winter if "those tree-hughers" are afraid of global warming?
mk

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Presentation is Everything

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:15 pm

On another note, thought you guys might like reading about how to destroy the earth. Quite interesting.....

http://ned.ucam.org/~sdh31/misc/destroy.html
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Just a twist!

Global Cool Off.

Each time we launch a few tons of junk away from Earth,,, Earth looses mass..

The Sun looses pull and we move farther and farther away!

Wouldn't that have a balance effect of sorts?

jim
Last edited by Jim Berquist on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:34 pm

You know how much Fricken stuff we would need to even move the earth 1 inch farther away from the sun. Someone else can figure it out if they would like, all I know is, ITS MORE THAN A FEW TONS!!!
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!