Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:14 pm

I just ran across this blurb for a $25 book that might be interesting:

The Piston Made of Air (4th edition), The Kadenacy Effect and its use in the driving of pulsejets and pulsating combustors, and in the tuning of two-stroke exhaust systems. Could help perfect the Neal equalizer. Includes plans for a rudimentary pulsejet model.
Item #08-05 $25.00

It can be found at this site (just scroll down a little, and be sure to click on the cruddy looking graphic!):
http://www.aircaraccess.com/catacous.htm

I know absolutely nothing about the quality of the book - I just thought that it was cool to see a whole book devoted to this subject - in its Fourth Edition, no less. I think the title sort of says it all! And, this site has several other things that might be interesting, though I don't have time right now to investigate it all.

Anybody ever seen an earlier edition of this one? Ben? Bruno?

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

re: Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:19 am

The whole thing does smack of ideological engineering, not far from the approach of the Tesla turbine crowd. However, it need not mean that the pulsejet side, which seems to be incidental to the main purpose of the site, is not on the level. I recognize some names -- e.g. Bodine, who patented a pressure-exchange pulsejet very similar to the BCVP in 1956.

I'd buy two of the books mentioned but hate spending $ 45 before I see what kinds of books I am actually getting for my money.

Mark

re: Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:17 pm

I always like to see how many pages a book is. Book sellers often list the page number in the description. I checked a few sources for that book A Piston made of Air (4th) edition but couldn't find any mention of any edition. Perhaps it is more of a pamphlet.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

pezman

Adiabatic compressed air energy storage

Post by pezman » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 pm

After visiting the site mentioned in this link, I played around w/ a few simple calculations, and the results are kind of interesting. For example, if you store energy using adiabatic compression, you can easily store about 500 kjoules in a vessel that is 0.1m^3 by compressing 1m^3 of air adiabatically. The pressure inside the vessel would be about 400 psi and the temperature would be about 900 F (480 C). Basically, I limited the process to values that I thought could be handled easily with conventional materials.

If I calculated correctly, that's more than enough energy to accelerate a 1000kg car from 0 to 60 MPH, or to provide dynamic braking for a 1000kg car over a 40 meter descent.

An isothermal expansion over the same volume provides less than 1/10 th the work.

Equalizer
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Post by Equalizer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:08 am

The Kadenacy book "Piston Made of Air" is now packaged with all of the site's acoustic power books at 11$ for the whole set. Price went down because it's not printed and mailed anymore, it's now instant download. Most of the books are about 200-300 pages long, quality varies but it's good mind candy if you like machines that do work with sound waves and such. Compilations of old articles, a lot of it is readable for non scientists.

Includes a great pulse jet article written by F. Schulz-Grunow around the end of the war, but it's hard to read so here's a clear copy of it. Over 100 pages long, dealing with mostly the wave reflections vs the shape of the tube, excellent article, still trying to digest it. I see some people on this forum consider him a genius, nice to know since I'm a beginner technically speaking.

https://archive.org/details/nasa_techdoc_20000043166

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Might Be a Good Book on Kadenacy Effect

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 am

Schultz-Grunow was not a genius. He was just a highly qualified engineer in the right place at the right time to observe, analyze and record the pulsejet thingy at its German technological peak. That's what makes his papers so valuable. Thanks for the link!