Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy")

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy")

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:24 pm

I remember when I lived in Connecticut a woman was walking in the woods with a pair of furry gloves with little tuffs or something and a hunter caught a glimpse of them through the dense trees. He bagged her, but she was out of season. He thought she was a deer. The woman died.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:54 pm

In Canada you have to wear an orange dosar (spelling?) basically an over jacket on top of your camoflage hunting gear, seems a bit odd dressing up in full camo then putting a floresant orange jacket on top:-)

But its the law for hunting and if you are in the woods with out one you lose your license and your gun! small game like migratory birds you don't need one but the chances of mistaking another hunter for a duck are slim at best:-)

During deer and moose season any one near or in the woods wears an orange jacket even if there not hunting but just walking the dog.

Viv

Anders Troberg
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Anders Troberg » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:55 pm

I don't know if it is a law here, but the hunters do wear florouscent markings.

I think the main problem is that people fire without thinking about what's behind the bushes behind the target. Alcohol sure has part in it (although drinking while hunting is definately very illegal). Sitting for days in the cold autumn weather waiting for a moose can probably also make them less careful about where it is when it eventually appears, taking shots they wouldn't otherwise take.

I wouldn't even go out in the forest to pick mushrooms (even if I did eat those disgusting things).

Viv

Re: re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy&qu

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:33 pm

Anders Troberg wrote:I don't know if it is a law here, but the hunters do wear florouscent markings.

I think the main problem is that people fire without thinking about what's behind the bushes behind the target. Alcohol sure has part in it (although drinking while hunting is definately very illegal). Sitting for days in the cold autumn weather waiting for a moose can probably also make them less careful about where it is when it eventually appears, taking shots they wouldn't otherwise take.

I wouldn't even go out in the forest to pick mushrooms (even if I did eat those disgusting things).
Fair comment:-) it should be that when you set up you do it so your shots don't dissapear off in to another region and kill some one but it is down to the experiance and common sense of the person doing it to make sure, personally I like to fire down range so this danger is minimised.

A lot of people don't think things all the way through before doing them is the trouble, not that I can class myself as an expert hunter but I do like to know what I am doing and whats happening, lucky for me Luc can class himself as an expert and has been a hunting giude so I get all the help I need from my hunting partner:-)

Viv

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:55 am

Anders Troberg wrote:Perhaps it is time to sign a petition for the right to arm bears?
I like the idea. After the primates, bears appear to be the closest in dexterity to humans. People have had this idea before. I remember reading an SF novel in which a species of polar bears attains intelligence and creates a fearsome tribe of armor-carrying, saber-wielding warriors. Quite entertaining. They lubricate armor parts with seal blubber. Woe betide a hunter who gets a wrong idea...

luc

Re: re: Continuing the Thrust Stand Controversy

Post by luc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi guys,
Missing"? that was only my first season Bruno:-) this year any thing that flys near me generally does not get to fly away
I have to be honest and admit it ... Viv's shooting has improved quite impressivally. He can really pound the shit out of them this year (It's about time ... Damn it ... After the number of shells he went trought).

But all this, when he does not get beat-up imself by his own gun ... He he he. Last weekend, Mr. Viv has learned the hard way, what happens when you don't shoulder your gun properly ... Hi hi hi ... You guys should have a look at his nose ... He he he.

Now, the only place where he must improve is shooting ... Is when shooting on ducks sitting in the water ... This usually results in a clean miss... He he he.

But overall ... Things are improving.

Keep up the good work mate.

Cya,

Luc

luc

Re: re: Continuing the Thrust Stand Controversy

Post by luc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:46 pm

What?? You guys have actually shot "sitting ducks"??? I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone doing that before. In America no duck hunter would ever dream of doing that! Well, at least they wouldn't admit to doing that
That's pure American bullshit.

I have been a professional duck hunting guide for many years now, all our customers are only americans and they only thing these guys could shoot was SITTING ducks.

As a guide, we are bound to shoot only when our customers guns are empty ... Only then, we can start shooting. So, all the time, we bring the ducks straight in the decoys and then, orders the customers to shoot.

Last years results indicates that out of 9 full weeks of hunting, over 90 customers and 4 guides, the total ducks count was close to 1700 ducks and 720 gees. Out of this, only 20% of the birds were shot buy the customers. The rest was shot by the guides.

Lets put it this way ... When you have alot of money, big new guns, big attitude and having to pay to hunt, this usually mean that you don't know how to hunt and how to shoot ... That's the bottom line.

There is a hudge margin between claiming and doing.

This last weekend, we shot 12 snow gees, 10 canadian gees and 3 ducks limits (30 ducks) ... All this in only 3 morning hunts and 2 guys.

Viv, why don't you take a picture of the birds and post it.

That's fact.

Cya,

Luc

luc

Post by luc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Okey,

Let rap it all up and let me tell you how I see this.

1) I you don't like hunting or shooting animals, that a personal choice, it must be respected and well okey with us ... the hunters.

2) If you are an anti-hunter, this means you are ignorant and mostly look like an austruge with her head in the sand.

3) The hunters are now needed to keep populations down and replace the big predators.

4) Why replace the big predators??? Simple, because they are gone, because of the citys, roads, pollution, your garbage dumps ... ect ... And name it.

5) When I hunt, I hunt in nature and I still have to kill for it. When none-hunting humans hunts ... They do it in a shoping center, still cause death (Chikens, Pigs, Beef) and it is still an hypocite way to say ... I don't like killing.

6) When I shoot an animal, it end-up in my freezer and get eaten. When none or anti-hunters kill, they do it with their car bumpers and the meat end-up rotting on the side of the roads.

7) The meat I get with my hunting is a clean meat. The meat you get from the stores are full of steroides and anti-biotics. And todays scientists wounders how virurs mutates and get anti-biotics resistant ... Well, they do this in your body, wih the meat you eat.

8) When mass popullations will die from Asian chiken or mad cow deseases and others, I will probably read their names in the new papers or see that on TV, while having a nice moose or deer steak.

9) Most of the none or anti-hunters bitch and do nothing for mother nature. The taxes I pay on my gears, shells and the money from my hunting permit(s) goes straight in wild life and habitat concervations and management.

10) You want to get more involve with nature ... ether hunt ... Or at least, get a permits and trow it in the garbage. At least, you will be doing something constructive for nature ... Other then just talking on it.

Imagine if every single Canadian and American would get 1 permit ... Even if not hunting ... Imagine the possibility and resources our wild life managment would have to help nature.

On this, I will rest my case.

Cya,

Luc

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Me and Luc's holiday weekend:-)

A few hours work to prepare them for the freezer.

Viv
Attachments
IMG_2268.jpg
IMG_2268.jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 14116 times
IMG_2269.jpg
IMG_2269.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 14116 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:42 pm

Where's the dog?
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Mark wrote:Where's the dog?
Mark
In the house sat in front of the fire were you would expect her to be after a weekend up to her belly in cold water and mud:-)

Viv

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:33 pm

Pure American BS, huh Luc? If you say so. I know what you are saying about some people that spend lots and lots of $$$$ on equipment and guides, but have no experience hunting. They are by far the exception. They are also interested in killing, not hunting. A real hunter follows certain rules of ethics, like not shooting birds that aren't flying, not shooting deer at night from the windows of their pickup trucks, etc...
Anytime you want to take on a few REAL American hunters in a skeet shoot just let me know.

I see the same thing on the trout rivers. Guys with $5000 worth of crap hanging on a vest & $2000 flyrod outfits slapping flies on the water and spooking trout for 100 yards while those of us in tennis shoes and shorts, carrying nothing but what will fit in our pockets catch all the fish (and we RELEASE ours).
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:47 pm

El-Kablooey wrote:Pure American BS, huh Luc? If you say so. I know what you are saying about some people that spend lots and lots of $$$$ on equipment and guides, but have no experience hunting. They are by far the exception. They are also interested in killing, not hunting. A real hunter follows certain rules of ethics, like not shooting birds that aren't flying, not shooting deer at night from the windows of their pickup trucks, etc...
Anytime you want to take on a few REAL American hunters in a skeet shoot just let me know.

I see the same thing on the trout rivers. Guys with $5000 worth of crap hanging on a vest & $2000 flyrod outfits slapping flies on the water and spooking trout for 100 yards while those of us in tennis shoes and shorts, carrying nothing but what will fit in our pockets catch all the fish (and we RELEASE ours).
Oh Mate!!!!! don't challange him on skeets for gods sake:-) any thing but;-) challange him to a card game or something:-)

I should let you know he and his mates trained for the Canadian olympic skeet shooting team.

Imagine the fun I have duck shooting as a learner with him along? he at least lets me shoot first:-)

Viv

luc

Re: re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy&am

Post by luc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Mate,
A real hunter follows certain rules of ethics, like not shooting birds that aren't flying
On this one you need to know that there is a way all professionnal duck hunters use when hunting ducks. When ducks are coming in decoys, the common and normal practice is to wait that the first duck touch water with his feets, nail this one and get the others while their speed is at the lowest. The goal in this is to limit the wounded and out of range shots. Any good and well experienced duck hunter will tell you that this is the way to do it.
not shooting deer at night from the windows of their pickup trucks, etc...
No comments on this one for I totally agree with you. Two weeks ago, Viv and I got face to face with a moose buck, well past shooting time, while we were coming back with our truck and we simply let this one go.
anytime you want to take on a few REAL American hunters in a skeet shoot just let me know.
Hooo Mate, did you ever bit more then you can chew on this one. I hope you never planed in winning this one, but just trew it for fun ... He he he.

SKEET SHOOTING .... Anytime mate. Actually, you need to know that first, I still aim at 2008 olympic games, that I usually shoot between 5000 to 7000 rounds PER YEAR of international skeet, which is TWICE as fast as American skeet, doubles on all stations, gun down at the belt line with 0 to 3 sec. delays on all calls and last time I have compete, I finished 7th in Canada.

Anytime mate ... You just walked on MY GROUND.

Cya,

Luc (Alias) skeet@securenet.net (That my other email address)

He he he.