Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy")

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy")

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12 am

Everyone involved, please bear in mind that the Canucks (inculding honorary ones like Viv) are armed and dangerous. They shoot geese for sport. OK, so Viv mostly misses them, but I would still hate to be in the way. So, be real careful in your phrasing unless you want Mum to be plucking lead from your backside.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Continuing the Thrust Stand Controversy

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Everyone involved, please bear in mind that the Canucks (inculding honorary ones like Viv) are armed and dangerous. They shoot geese for sport. OK, so Viv mostly misses them, but I would still hate to be in the way. So, be real careful in your phrasing unless you want Mum to be plucking lead from your backside.
"Missing"? that was only my first season Bruno:-) this year any thing that flys near me generally does not get to fly away:-), some of the ducks have a desease this year that affects their ability to fly so we only shoot flying birds this year so none of the infected birds get in to the freezer.

Makes it a bit more sporting:-)

Viv

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:22 pm

Viv wrote: some of the ducks have a desease this year that affects their ability to fly so we only shoot flying birds this year so none of the infected birds get in to the freezer.

Viv

What?? You guys have actually shot "sitting ducks"??? I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone doing that before. In America no duck hunter would ever dream of doing that! Well, at least they wouldn't admit to doing that. That would be like shooting dove off the power lines, or deer at the zoo.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:32 pm

El-Kablooey wrote:
Viv wrote: some of the ducks have a desease this year that affects their ability to fly so we only shoot flying birds this year so none of the infected birds get in to the freezer.

Viv

What?? You guys have actually shot "sitting ducks"??? I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone doing that before. In America no duck hunter would ever dream of doing that! Well, at least they wouldn't admit to doing that. That would be like shooting dove off the power lines, or deer at the zoo.
You say that like shooting doves off the power lines is a bad thing;-)

Viv

El-Kablooey

re: Continuing the Thrust Stand Controversy

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:11 pm

Well, #8 shot tends to damage the lines! LOL

Al Belli

re: Continuing the Thrust Stand Controversy

Post by Al Belli » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:35 am

Hi,

Be more sporting and shoot their heads off with a cal .22 to save more meat !!!!!

Al Belli

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:14 am

Al Belli wrote:Hi,

Be more sporting and shoot their heads off with a cal .22 to save more meat !!!!!

Al Belli
Hummmm .22? I think the 270 is the smallest we have but that may be a little too higher a velocity:-) maybe just need a round to pass near it and scare the duck to death:-)

Or maybe the black powder .45 do you think?

Viv

El-Kablooey

re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy")

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:55 am

A .177 cal varmint rifle at a few hundred yards could be considered sporting, even shooting sitting ducks. I just don't think it is legal.

I used to do quite a bit of small game hunting. I guess I have become a softy, because now the only birds I have the heart to shoot are made of clay. I don't have time to hunt anyway, to much fishing to do here all year.

mk

Post by mk » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:13 pm

How can one claim hunting-for-the-fun-of-it to be a sport?
It's like the phrase "animals have been created for getting eaten". Disgusting.

Sometimes I ask myself how crank humans can be...

In greatest disbelieve,
mk

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:00 pm

I was reading in Popular Science or some magazine how they were growing thin sheets of "meat" on a nutrient substrate. Unfortunately, they still haven't perfected the art of growing veins and whatnot that give the meat its great taste/texture. However, they pointed out the thin layer of cells could be scraped off and formed into a spicey meatball. OK, I added the word spicey for a bit of satire. But at any rate, you wouldn't be killing a conscious creature as such, no more than killing a carrot let's say.
In the city I work in they bless the animals. I didn't see any cows though, a blessed cow might taste better. It's interesting to think, Iowa and Nebraska turn corn into cows. We turn cows into people.
In a perfect world all animals should eat artificial food. It makes me sad to think of all the suffering that goes on.
Mark
My little bit of irony for today.
http://www.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2005 ... h/048.html
Presentation is Everything

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy&qu

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:40 pm

mk wrote:How can one claim hunting-for-the-fun-of-it to be a sport?
It's like the phrase "animals have been created for getting eaten". Disgusting.

Sometimes I ask myself how crank humans can be...

In greatest disbelieve,
While I absolutely hate killing animals and take great pains not to do it (with the possible exception of mosquitoes) I have few problems with eating them. Indeed, I actively enjoy eating quite a number of different ones. The count of sea creatures I like to taste probably approaches three figures, for instance, and I am almost Chinese in the number of land creatures I will consider fit to taste.

I try to orient myself by nature as much as possible.

In the nature, every creature is food, among other things. At the same time, every creature avoids becoming food. Humans have been the most adept at this game eating almost everyone else but very rarely getting eaten. In some ways, it makes us a prominent feature in the food chain.

At the same time, with very, very few exceptions, animals do not kill other creatures unnecessarily. Killing for sport is a very rare exception.

I do not feel at all strange following those examples.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:14 pm

Well its an interesting point I think, do you hunt for sport or for food? the whole question then leads in to all sorts of moral/religious arguments for or against.

Personally my rule is if I am going to shoot it I am going to eat it, that knocks a lot of the sport shooting animals out for a start as they just don't taste nice:-)

My second rule is I have to do it properly with the minimum of suffering for the animal, that means shooting properly and in range to minimise the amount of shots needed.

Having grown up in a village and worked on farms when young I am aware of the suffering of livestock animals before the sanitised presentation on the supermarket shelf divorces them from the realitiy of their existance as meat animals in the domesticated livestock industry.

I can say that the food I put on the table from hunting led a far better existance and had a much better end than any thing you can buy in a shop.

Viv

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: Hunting (was "[...] Thrust Stand Controversy&qu

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:08 am

Viv wrote:I can say that the food I put on the table from hunting led a far better existance and had a much better end than any thing you can buy in a shop.
That must be true, I guess. A good point.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Well too, I can think of stories of a gut shot deer wailing or some inexperienced hunter that shoots an arrow way off the mark or the animal moves hitting the target in wild and unpredictable places. Sometimes you see geese still doing OK with an arrow stuck right through them, it looks kind of odd though. Arrows probably aren't the best way to kill animals.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Anders Troberg

Post by Anders Troberg » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:19 pm

Well, apparently hunting has become a much more sportsmanlike event here in Sweden recently.

The moose season has just begun, and already two hunters have been shot dead by mistake, and earlier in the year another hunter was killed by a bear (if I remember it correctly, his dog attacked it, and he shot it to protect the dog, but only wounded it).

A strong tradition of excessive drinking (mostly DIY alcohol) during the moose hunt probably doesn't help the situation.

It's a war out there! Don't go into the Swedish forests this time of the year! Perhaps it is time to sign a petition for the right to arm bears?