Russian "Night Witches" in San Diego

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Russian "Night Witches" in San Diego

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:22 am

Taken off an aviation website:

On Saturday, June 18, San Diego's Aerospace Museum will play host to some truly remarkable women, and you can be there. Though little-known in the West, the Russian "Night Witches" of World War II were as highly regarded by the Russians as they were despised by the German troops they harassed. Female pilot Marina Raskova convinced Joseph Stalin that women could help him win the war, and three all-female regiments were formed. Some of the pilots were only 17 years old, some flew more than 800 sorties, and many were shot down, some more than once. Five of those women will be telling their stories at the museum event. Of the three regiments, one flew Yak fighters, another Pe-2 dive bombers, and a third a slow, outdated wood-and-fabric biplane called a Polikarpov Po-2. The Po-2 pilots flew night harassment raids against the Germans, sometimes five to 15 missions a night in the brutal Russian winter, flying low and slow over their targets while caught in a web of searchlights and flak. The deadly success of these missions and the fear that permeated the targeted German ground forces led Hitler to offer a special medal to anyone who shot down a Po-2. For the Soviet cause, the female pilots were heroines; to the Germans they were the Nachthexen, the Night Witches. For tickets to attend this special event, you can register online or contact the museum's education department at (619) 234-8291, ext. 19.

Bruno Ogorelec

re: Russian "Night Witches" in San Diego

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:31 am

Here's what Po-2 looked like.
Attachments
polikarpov_po2.jpg
polikarpov_po2.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

Anthony

Re: re: Russian "Night Witches" in San Diego

Post by Anthony » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:11 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Here's what Po-2 looked like.
So World War One... Hehe, those Russians... I prefer the compact Polikarpov, like the I-16/I-153.
Anthony

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:17 am

Anthony wrote:I prefer the compact Polikarpov, like the I-16/I-153.
So would the lady pilots. But, they were given the remainders. That's generally the woman's lot. It makes their achievements all the more remarkable.

Hank

re: Russian "Night Witches" in San Diego

Post by Hank » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Hello Bruno- I am curious as to what these women did after the war. Did any of them work in aviation?
That the Pe-2 was effective in night operations there is no doubt. San Diego on the 18th is beyond my reach, are these folks putting in an appearance any place else in the states?
The USS Yorktown in Charleston, SC is an naval aviation museum. If you've got any voice with these people ask them to contact there.
Regards, Hank

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:41 pm

Hank wrote:Hello Bruno- I am curious as to what these women did after the war. Did any of them work in aviation?
That the Pe-2 was effective in night operations there is no doubt. San Diego on the 18th is beyond my reach, are these folks putting in an appearance any place else in the states?
The USS Yorktown in Charleston, SC is an naval aviation museum. If you've got any voice with these people ask them to contact there.
Regards, Hank
Hank, I have no idea what they did after the war. I saw a flying magazine the other day -- I forgot which one but it was either British or American and dealt with flying history -- with a big interview with one of those women. Maybe you can find it in a bookstore; it's a very recent edition, probably still current.

What I posted is all the info I have. I picked it from an online general aviation newsletter I subscribe to.

Take care.