A glass of wine taken seriously

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

A glass of wine taken seriously

Post by Mark » Sat May 21, 2005 4:56 am

Presentation is Everything

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

re: A glass of wine taken seriously

Post by mk » Sun May 22, 2005 10:01 pm

Well, there are also some people -- first class kitchen chefs probably --, who swear that a metal spoon, knife or fork srews up the a meals character.

I don't know. Perhaps my sense of tasting is just too bad.

Note: Not kidding. And I'm not making fun of anyone here.
mk

Anthony

Re: re: A glass of wine taken seriously

Post by Anthony » Tue May 24, 2005 12:23 am

mk wrote:Well, there are also some people -- first class kitchen chefs probably --, who swear that a metal spoon, knife or fork srews up the a meals character.

I don't know. Perhaps my sense of tasting is just too bad.

Note: Not kidding. And I'm not making fun of anyone here.
Yeah, my mother always tells me, when I cook, not to let ustensils in the pan or whatever I use cause it changes the food's taste...

And, as for drinks, just take a Coke in a can and a Coke in a glass to notice a difference.
Anthony

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:44 pm

I would have responded to this post earlier if I had know that it was here. I had a chemistry teacher who talked about metals messing up the flavor of foods. I guess what can hapen is the double bonds in the diferent compounds that flavor foods can bind with the metal (catalyst) and then re-combine with other chemicals a lot like when you hydrogenate unsaturated fats into saturated. Speaking of odd shapes that change the charater of how things tatse, I know that the shape of the still used for making wiskey will greatly efect the taste, and it is an art form of it's own when it comes to making the right still!

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:24 pm

Not so much the shape of a glass I'd say, but the mindset of the drinker. For me, the taste depends greatly upon the environment. For example, a 1994 chateau pomerol will taste like... a bargain bottle from the local tescos when drunk at a party, where as it tastes heavenly at my grandfathers house.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.