American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by hinote » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:25 am

BILL PLANS TO BRING:

-Thrust stand on trailer. Calibration is currently 0-20 lbf, and will be confirmed with the force gauge, on site.

-engine mount rail, ready to mount on thrust stand (We can mount engines with hose clamps, etc.)

-force gauge, 0-100 lb.

-"postal scale", with remote readout, 0-75 lb.-- accuracy to the ounce. Think TSFC runs!

-"mini-Escopeta" pulsejet.

-multipath throttle assembly; this will allow either the operation of 2 engines, or one engine with 2 separate fuel systems.

-2 "barbecue" size propane tanks. One of these is old-style, without flow restriction.

-Leaf blower, to start engines, and to cool them down afterward.

-gas-powered string trimmer; we may need to clear the site of excess ground cover.

-Compressed air storage tank.

-"Universal" ignition system, with 'gator clips to attach to anybody's spark plug. battery to power it.

-Several ice chests, for beer, wine, food, etc.

hardware box, with hose clamps, vise grips, c-clamps, assorted fittings, flare tool, tube cutters, etc., etc.

IF I can get the motor home running (we'll call it the "Hotel Bruno" if I do!), I'll also have an onboard generator, a small air compressor, a refrigerator with freezer, lots of chairs, tables, etc.

I'll think of more before I'm through--I'm famous for bringing everything, including the kitchen sink (literally!).

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets.

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by NanoSoft » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:13 am

Ok sorry if this si repetative but i have been missing alot on the forum lately and didn't want read all the pages to catch up.

Here are my questions.
Where, what city and where.
When, time, when people will show up
Any other info i need. Like when people will meet where and if there is room to sleep somewhere.

Thanks

Nanosoft

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:16 am

Hey, the more the merrier, Chris and Rossco! good idea on the new, seperate, logistics thread. I'll start it later tonight. Let's keep it clear of chatter, OK?
Thanks, Ben. That Pope job IS still open, I'm thinkin.

Man, is the weather beautiful now! Should be great through the meet. For those of you who've never been to Santa Barbara area, you're in for a treat. I can't believe I spent my youth trying to get out of here! I am so happy this is coming together, and that I can host it. It's nothing, really. The main stress of site selection is over, thank god.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

ed knesl

Post by ed knesl » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:08 am

OK, I am new to the forum and I am comming to the meet.
Will bring 66 mm Chinese valveless and perhaps 7ft tall rocket to fire.

Since I live in Arizona, no problem getting there !

Just a thought - our beloved and omnipresent "Fatherland Security
Department" may come hard on on air travelers carrying some
strange looking "organ pipes".
Wonder, if anybody thought about such posibility and what should be
done to avoid trouble, namely for overseas visitors, in case they have not experienced US bound flights checking procedures and latest US airports "welcomming ceremonials" .

Looking forward to meet everyone !

Edward
...Nobody is right, nobody is wrong...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:15 am

Welcome, Ed. I think you will need to fire the rocket somewhere else, I'm pretty sure that'll be not cool with the site owner. How did you come across us? You know RG?

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:52 am

Rossco: No problem with another seat. The mini van listing says that it can handle 7 passengers, but 6 is typically a more practical number for adults. At present we have Bruno, Marten and me. With Rossco and lady that makes 5.

Ben: If you do change your ticket to arrive on the 28th we should have room for you as well.

My guess is that, with all the luggage, the mini van will soon reach capacity, However, if someone else needs a ride from LAX on the 28th, let me know and we will see what we can work out.

Oh and Rossco, I personally see only positives having a professional photographer on site and gender is a non issue for me. The opinions of others are up to them.

Dave

PS: Please see the Logistics Thread for details on my travel arrangements and contact information.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey, guys.
I've taken the Meet particulars off-line. Please email me and I will send it to you. No offense meant to Ed above, but it's gotten me to thinking about security and liability. I am helping with this meet not as a public event, but as a get together of folks that have worked together for years. I fear who might come out of the woodwork if this is online, and it's at my buddy's place, on limited resources, etc., and I just don't want a potential problem, or for it to turn into a circus.
We've got 12 people so far.

Ed, you're welcome to tell something about yourself and join our community, but consider the above. I am bringing all of these people into "my bubble", because I know them through years of correspondence.

It's difficult for me not to be trusting and open, but the world isn't always rewarding of such.

Everyone please email me soon, and we'll start an offline thread for this.

Cheers, everyone!

mk

Post by mk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Just sent you an email, "Nano".
mk

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:40 am

I have got a design up and mostly running for the meet, no start air or spark needed!

Its very messy and an ugly build, but the shape does look good! I was going to build all the parts to assemble there, for a much smoother build, and easier travel. BUT looks like im going to have trouble with customs with it, here, let alone there!

The problem seems to be in explaining what it is, but fully assembled would be just crazy to try to get into or out of any country!

I was going to post a photo with it over my shoulder but thought better of even that! It does resemble very closely a hand held missile launcher!

Resonates very well! any flame in the intake will set it pulsing, turn up the fuel then to a low frequency rumble until it gets hot, crank it up som more, and it locks into full resonance. Well, its supposed to, at the moment it drops in and out, but thats just a mater of fine tuning.

Im officialy born tomorow!, well, give or take a quater of a century! Bloody government. Then its off to get my passport, more government.
Then book, pay and fly!

Ah, and its Christie by the way, my "lady photographer". Ha, well put Mike. I will know for cirtain this weekend if she can make it.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:08 pm

Message to RG,
If you are planning to come, you need to send me an email so we can get you on the offline thread.

Anyone else interested in coming, please do the same. If you are a newbie, thanks for the interest, but please set your sights on next year so we can all get to know each other a bit first!

ed knesl

Post by ed knesl » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Mark,

I apologize for jumping in so fast, I just thought the meet was a public
event ( first location was at the airport ) and no indication was given
" On invitation only " .

Found the group via these good seach engines - Google.

I grew up in Czechoslovakia - in 50's and 60's the hotbed of pulse jets,
flying mostly as control line speed demons.

I am in contact with some guys overthere, who published some articles on
valveless engines and want some data from others, to compare their results. ( They do not have Internet acccess - too expensive for retired
individuals ).
We look for flying specimen experience and test bed results. I built my
chinese, based on Mr. Manasek ( designer of "Silnik" valved engine )
version, he is after higher frequency pulsing.

That was the reason I wanted to attend.

Gladly will provide more about myself off line at : edk187@netscape.com

Edward
...Nobody is right, nobody is wrong...

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:14 pm

ed knesl wrote:I apologize for jumping in so fast, I just thought the meet was a public
event ( first location was at the airport ) and no indication was given
" On invitation only "
Ed, it was supposed to be at the airport and open to all comers. The last-minute change of venue necessitated this new approach. Please don’t be disappointed. I think the interest is so high that another meet will be organized sooner than you expect. Especially if this first one turns out to be as good as it promises to be!
ed knesl wrote:I grew up in Czechoslovakia - in 50's and 60's the hotbed of pulse jets,
flying mostly as control line speed demons.
I have been really surprised not to see anyone from your mother country pop up in the forum over the years. It really was the hotbed – of many things that had to do with machinery, amateur or professional. I have a huge respect for Czechoslovakian engineering. As late as 1960s, the racing motor cycles your people did were on a par with anything coming out of Italy or England. I would have expected the pulsejet idea to be alive and well in your old country still, but you are the first ever to appear in the forum.
ed knesl wrote:I am in contact with some guys overthere, who published some articles on valveless engines and want some data from others, to compare their results. ( They do not have Internet acccess - too expensive for retired individuals ).
Well, I can only look forward to their Internet connection. It is getting cheaper by the day. In my country, the price of broadband dropped by 85 percent in two years. Internet is so insanely practical that everything else has become a chore.
ed knesl wrote:We look for flying specimen experience and test bed results. I built my chinese, based on Mr. Manasek ( designer of "Silnik" valved engine ) version, he is after higher frequency pulsing.
Can you provide pictures, drawings etc? We are all very interested in the variations on the ‘chinese’ theme.

I hope you stay in the forum, enjoy it, and contribute to the knowledge. If you are interested in pulsejets, this is the best place on the planet.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:28 pm

No need to apologize, Ed. Sounds like you're our kind of guy!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 pm

Ooooooh! Looks like we'll have the use of a $50k thermal camera for the meet!

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Gahhhrgh. The deal keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. Still. My GCSE exams are in 5 weeks, so you'll excuse me if I don't come this year? What with revision and whatnot. Who knows, if we get one going next year (Change of venue to the UK maybe?) then I will definately come, and might actually have built my first engine in what, 3 years of being part of this community? Haha.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.