American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 pm

Mike -

Just verified status of my shipment of Dynajet & Fo Mi Chin II, plastic jam jars, etc. - it has been processed thru USPS processing center in Santa Barbara and is on its way. The package was not big enough for the Dynajet test plank and I didn't want to saw it down shorter, so I just sent the mounting pedestal and a drilling template. Just grab a scrap of 1/2-inch plywood and drill a few holes and screw it on. Or, just clamp the pedestal to the Hinote Thrust Stand and thread the engine onto it.

I will need to send postpaid return label to you during the Meet - I couldn't include them because stamps.com only lets you print them up to seven days ahead! But, I may have more hardware to send out there, anyway - stay tuned ...

Yes, it does look like a really beautiful and pleasant place to fire some jets. Hopefully, not too hot by day, nor too cold by night, nor just ready for the spring rains to kick in!

Again, hope a great time is had by one and all!

Safety first,

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:02 pm

I just received your package, literally while I was reading the above post. I've not held a red-head in my hands before, now I have! Fo mi chin looks maaaaavelous!

Looks like a little rain on Wed here, should be nice the whole weekend.
Mike

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 am

The weather channel says overcast and occassional rain. Am I reading it right -- Lompoc, CA???

Whatever. I don't think even rain can dampen my fun.

Boy, am I ever looking forward to this!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Mike -

I just finished the SNECMAized FWE late last night - too late to test, so I'll just send it and maybe Rossco or some other willing participant can try it ["There's one born every minute!" - P T Barnum]. I also managed to get a shipping box here at work that will be big enough for the engine AND the rest of my Dynajet test stand, with built-in E-Z-View(TM) 2-ounce fuel cell! So, you can just screw the mount pedestal I've already shipped right onto it and it will be perfectly positioned in relation to the fuel tank. I wouldn't run the Dynajet longer than what a couple of ounces of gasoline will provide, because the mount starts to smoke and could burst into flames a la Steve, unless you have a scrap of sheet aluminum you can slip under the engine to shield the already charred wood.

Concerning the FWE modification: Since I didn't test it, there is of course the slight, remote, outside chance that it won't sustain no matter what you do. If that happens, you have my permission to do exactly what I said I would do - weld in the gap all around. That's only about four inches of weld, but the gap is large [.125 inch or so]. This would make an excellent demonstration of the Henrob torch in action, and thus I would end up with a sample of the work that can be done with it! Don't hesitate to try this if needed to get the engine running. Once you're confident you can start it up, then remove the threaded plug and replace it with the oxygen sensor, hook up your VTVM [or other sensitive 0-5V meter] and give it a go. All this, of course, can be relegated to participants who couldn't bring anything of their own to run and want something to putter around with. You can screw the engine down via its mounts, or just chuck it in a vise [remember that the straight pipe is pretty thin, though].

Of course, as luck will probably have it, this junk won't get there till Saturday when there's nobody around to receive it. But I'll try, anyway. Incidentally, the box I got yesterday should be big enough to use to return all the stuff together so the grapefruit box I sent earlier can be tossed (just be sure to get a good color picture of it first ;-). I'm also hoping to send along a set of posters for Marten this time.

Again, Mike - good luck with the engines, the weather and the gang!

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Good deal, Larry and thanks. We can probably run it monday night.
Mike

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Hey all!!!!!!!!
Im in LA right now, waiting for bruno! Very exiting.

I spoke to Mike a few minuits ago to get the address again, as they wouldnt let me in wihtout it. Thanks Mike, i was a little nerve racked!

See you all soon.

Mike, this airport is all oveer the place, little bits everywhere, so we are to go around to meet people of their flights. If we miss anyone, and they call in to you, can you send them to the Thomas Bradley info desk please. There seems to be only one there and its downstairs at arrivals.

see you all soon.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:24 am

Mike Everman wrote:Good deal, Larry and thanks. We can probably run it monday night.
Good, Mike - it'll have to be Monday, because I messed up and wasn't able to ship today. I took the afternoon off work, but ended up spending the whole time on problems getting a few posters printed, and there was no way I could get home and get it all packed up. It will be in the Priority Mail pipeline tomorrow morning, WITH Marten's posters and a free one for Bill H, since I still owed him one of his. Sorry I goofed, but it all should get there Monday morning, anyway. It WILL be ready tonight, entirely sealed up and ready before I get to bed!

Apologies,

L Cottrill

Gary Robinson

Post by Gary Robinson » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:00 am

Hi guys, I wish you all the best over there.
Pity I couldnt make it, but good news is we sold our business equipment today and will get the $$ next week. I just mistined it all a bit huh?

Hey Rosco, I trust you flew with QANTAS, if so, read this guys story and be glad he isnt your pilot. Also, check out the pic at the botton of the page and take note of the location the safety chute deployed in LMAO.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 55850&rd=1

I do have a big favor to ask of you Rosco.
Would you be able to bring back a t-shirt for me? size M or L? Im a 14 in au terms. If you can I will direct deposit your account when you get back including postage etc. If it cant be done, Oh well.

I hope you all have a rip roaring time and I am sure you will all benefit from idea sharing.

The wife and I are already saving for the next meet, cya then.

Till then, stay safe all of you.
"If it dont glow, it dont go."

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:52 pm

Hey Gary, and all.

Mike said to log in as myself, but im thinking that its much better proof that im actualy here, even if it is just to myself, if i post from him!

So hi from me, through Mike.

Were all having a great time talking to all hours of the night/morning and we havnt really even started yet.

Gary, i will for sure get hold of an extra shirt or momento for you. I dont know if the shirts have actualy been organised fully, although im sure that i can get hold of something of a token for you.

Its amazing how similar we all seem to be, from all corners of the world, hitting it of immidiatly with the idea of finding some beer, and not looking back from there.

Right, were off to start making some noise!

Rossco, (and gang)
Mike

larry cottrill

Re: re: American West Coast Pulsejet Meet, April 30

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:05 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:Good, Mike - it'll have to be Monday, because I messed up and wasn't able to ship today. I took the afternoon off work, but ended up spending the whole time on problems getting a few posters printed, and there was no way I could get home and get it all packed up. It will be in the Priority Mail pipeline tomorrow morning, WITH Marten's posters and a free one for Bill H, since I still owed him one of his. Sorry I goofed, but it all should get there Monday morning, anyway. It WILL be ready tonight, entirely sealed up and ready before I get to bed!
All right, Mike - it's on its way.

One problem remains: I did include a paid Priority Mail label for the return trip, and I did run it for an extra couple of pounds to accommodate the FMC and Dynajet. HOWEVER, stamps.com stupidly used a lower rate to calculate the postage, probably because he can't understand that it gets mailed from your location! So, when you go to the Post Office on May 5, be prepared to fork over another five or six bucks when they weigh it in. Just bill me for the difference and I'll get it to you right away. IF there is any other problem with that label, just purchase Priority Mail with Confirmation for the package and bill me. But, I'm hopeful that you can just pay the difference and be done with it.

I also have a favor to ask. Because of the problems I had yesterday, I never did get any photos of the FWE modification. Can you shoot a couple of closeups for me [e.g. the welding at the gap and the whole modified tail section] and email me the JPEGs? I'd really like to have something like that to keep.

As I said, there is probably little chance that you'll see my shipment tomorrow - Monday morning is far more probable, and I hope that works out all right at least for somebody to try firing it up.

I can't wait to see the photos you get of the great people and all the gear, hot steel, flames, etc.! I hope the surprises are all pleasant ones, and that everybody has a real blast [so to speak ...]!

All my best wishes to you and all,

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Starting Hints for Cottrill Engines

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:54 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Hey Gary, and all.

Mike said to log in as myself, but im thinking that its much better proof that im actualy here, even if it is just to myself, if i post from him!

So hi from me, through Mike.

Were all having a great time talking to all hours of the night/morning and we havnt really even started yet.

Gary, i will for sure get hold of an extra shirt or momento for you. I dont know if the shirts have actualy been organised fully, although im sure that i can get hold of something of a token for you.

Its amazing how similar we all seem to be, from all corners of the world, hitting it of immidiatly with the idea of finding some beer, and not looking back from there.

Right, were off to start making some noise!

Rossco, (and gang)
Come on, Mike, cut the spoofing! You think we're going to believe you're really some Ozzie just because you mention beer? Ha!

Bruno, Rossco, Marten et al -

Well, I do hope you guys are really there [though I'm not convinced ... yet] and starting to have some fun!

When you get hold of my Fo Mi Chin and FWE SNECMA skirted engines, be sure and check the alignment of the fuel pipe to make sure it hasn't gotten tweaked in shipping - my intention is to have the spout right in the center of the intake throat area. The air tube should be aimed at that same exact spot, though I can't imagine that getting bumped out of place on the trip over, since that's steel brake line and welded in pretty close up. Doesn't hurt to have a good look, though - getting it well aligned might save you some time and grief.

All the air/fuel tubes I've built seem to work at about the same starting air pressure of 30 PSI, regardless of the engine they're on. I think that's because what probably matters is the distance from the air spout through the intake tube into the heart of the chamber, and that's roughly the same on them all. So, once you hit on the right pressure for one of these engines, it should be pretty close to right for the other. 30 PSI sounds like a lot, but the area from where it spouts is small, so don't be surprised if you need it fairly high like that.

Good luck, gentlemen!

So, if these guys are REALLY there, how come you're not posting some pictures, Mike? Huh? Huh? ...

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:29 pm

I think they are there, they are just working on their first case, (first case of beer that is). I imagine there will be a synergy of ideas. I really wish I could have seen it all and had some of that wholesome fun. If the t-shirts turn out and aren't too loud, (ha), I'd like to buy one or two. I'm kind of a subtle dresser.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:13 am

Best wishes from a tiny island on the other side of the Pacific ocean.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:54 pm

WE ARE HERE!
Everyone made it here on Friday and we had a great time.
So far there is no way of knowing how many engines there are, but 11 were run in the afternoon and into the evening. At least one is now under construction and there will be more.
Jam Jars and other topics contineud long after some of us crashed for the night.
No real data so far, as we have not officially started.
Breakfast is here so more later.
Dave

hagent

Post by hagent » Sun May 01, 2005 5:15 am

I made it for a few hours. Took a couple of pictures. My battery in my camcorder was bad and would not hold a charge. Sorry guys..

It was a real pleasure to meet you all!
Attachments
HPNX0010.jpg
(194.37 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
HPNX0009.jpg
(136.21 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
HPNX0008.jpg
(185.08 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
HPNX0007.jpg
(250.77 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
HPNX0006.jpg
(258.64 KiB) Downloaded 347 times